6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 146

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

Wasn't the reasoning explained earlier in the show or the previous Part 1? I didn't see the entire show -- caught only the last half hour. For the "good guys" to know the Jap. amb. was the target, wouldn't they have had to know why?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:What if the goal of killing the japanese ambassador was to strain relations between the US and Japan?

After all, it would have been TC (an American) doing the killing, and not the Soviets.

No one would have known Nuzo and Ivan were involved had all gone to plan.

It would have been propaganda for them to say "Oh, look, the US killed the Japanese ambassabor, we wouldn't do that. Bad America!"
Doc,

I don't think that killing the Ambassador would be enough to strain relations between the US and Japan, especially considering that we protect Japan from China and North Korea (and the Soviet Union during the cold war). I'm sure the US brass would just say it was the actions of one rogue, unbalanced pilot (which would have been the case). I believe during the Bosnia Conflict we accidentally bombed a Chinese Embassy killing several Chinese diplomats and citizens. This accidential bombing didn't seem to have any effect on our relations with China, and we are not allies with China. That is why I always thought the plot was a little thin in this respect. Why waste all the time and effort of brainwashing TC and then waiting years to activate him to go after an Ambassador? It doesn't make any sense. However, it was still a great episode.

Golf,

I don't remember if there was an explanation on why Ivan wanted to go after the Japanese Ambassador. I think there may have been a reference to negotiations taking place, or something like that, but I don't recall anything so significant that would warrant Ivan going after the Ambassador.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

I found TC's house! And man is it way out there. It's located in north west Oahu and according to google maps it would take about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the real life location of "Robin's Nest" and TC's heli-pad. Of course Robin's Nest was supposed to be located on the north shore too, but it's still about an hour from Waikiki, and also the filming studio for Magnum P.I. No wonder we didn't see much of it!

Not only is it on the sparsely populated north west shore, it's also down a long private road away from any other houses. The area is zoned as an agricultural district, and I'm not 100% sure, but in real life the house may be the home of rancher B o b C h e r r y, owner of F l y i n g R L i v e s t o c k (spaced for his privacy, so google won't pick it up). As the linked page says, he enjoys herding his cattle with a helicopter, lucky guy. Here's another story about a fire on his land (not lucky).

Much of the land around the house is private property, but there's a hiking trail named the Dupont Trail on the ridge to the east. (1) (2)

The ranch was (and still is?) also used as a filming location for Flight 29 Down, which airs on Discovery Kids. (1) (2) (3)

Here's the house in google maps. If you turn on terrain in google earth, and view from the side while spinning around you'll see that it's actually on a little hill which in turn is on a ridge of it's own. You can also see the unbelievable views it has. A perfect fit for a helicopter pilot - what a wonderful place for a home.

I also found where TC was driving Nuzo back to his place. This area is also away from Magnum P.I.'s normal filming locations - pretty far north on the east coast of Oahu.

Here's the first shot, looking south. Where the long line of mountains on the right of the lower picture fade away (where the island points to) is about where Robin's Nest would be. The name of the island in the upper left picture is Kualoa Tower, more commonly known as Chinaman's Hat Island. (1) (2) (gm link)
(edit) It's also known as Mokolii.

Here's where TC spaces out thinking of Vietnam and almost hits a truck. (gm link)

And the valley which reminds TC "of the one north of Quan Loi." (gm link)

It's interesting that these locations are actually in their correct sequence, just as you would drive north on that road in real life.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

Dang! Nice detective work, rc!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Sam »

WOW RC,great job..How long did it take you to locate the place? I looked by your description and my eyes went Googlie,finally gave up and ticked on your link...Then it was easy :lol:

Nice job.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

:shock:

rubber chicken, you astound me! Unbelievable!

So the house really isn't near the Kolekole Pass, between the Schofield Barracks and the west coast town of Waianae, like T.C. says. It's farther north, close to the North Shore!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#17 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks guys, I think I'm starting to hit my stride, and becoming one with the Magnum P.I. location scout.

Maybe some day I'll make my own web site. "Have Rubber Chicken - Will Travel."

Sam - I try not to think of the time used up in doing this! But probably a couple of hours, not all at once, just when I had some spare time. I'm getting faster though I think.

James - shesh, I didn't even remember he said that. I usually just skip through a show looking for helpful location shots. Good thing too, or it might have predjudiced me. :) When did he say that?

I edited the post to say that Chinaman's Hat is also known as Mokolii, I found a short wiki page. Apparently you can even walk out to it at low tide.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:James - shesh, I didn't even remember he said that. I usually just skip through a show looking for helpful location shots. Good thing too, or it might have predjudiced me. :) When did he say that?
Just after that horrible stock cover of "Satisfaction". "Nuzo" asks T.C. about the "Slick" that he saw coming across the valley. T.C. replies, "They do it all the time. Army Cobras crossing Kolekole Pass, coming up through Wheeler*. The same pass the Japanese took in '41 when they bombed Pearl". To me, this strongly implies T.C.'s house is near the Kolekole Pass.

* Wheeler Army AirField, adjacent to the Schofield Barracks.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#19 Post by rubber chicken »

Ah yes, I remember now. Not really close, but both are in the same north west area of the island seldom used for Magnum P.I. filming.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#20 Post by Tralfaz »

Ha!

I was just watching the beginning of this episode on Sleuth. When the chopper lands on the estate at the beginning of Part 1 there is a shot of Mosley sitting in the back seat of the chopper pretending to fly with the main house visible out the window.

T

Never mind..... Just looked in the Episode Guide...been noted before.
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Doc Ibold wrote:What if the goal of killing the japanese ambassador was to strain relations between the US and Japan?
Either that, or the Soviets had some specific reason for wanting the Japanese prince out of the way (he was anti-Soviet, perhaps), and making it look like an American was responsible for his death was just icing on the cake.

We just watched this episode last night, and I'm all but certain that the intended victim was the Japanese prince, not the Japanese ambassador. After all, ambassadors can be replaced -- just appoint a new one -- but it may take a while to grow a new prince.

By the way, does anyone know who played the prince? He had no lines, so was presumably not credited (and is not listed in IMDb). Every time I see this episode, I think how non-Japapese he looks, reminiscent of how they used to just put a lot of make-up on a caucasian actor.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Little Garwood »

"Did You See the Sunrise" is quite simply my all-time favorite MPI episode. It was when I first saw it as an elevn-year old back in 1982, and it remains so today. I've since recognized the "Manchurian Candidate" aspect of this one, something I didn't know about 26(!) years ago. Bo Svenson is chillingly brilliant as Ivan and the extensive Vietnam flashbacks in the story were fascinating. I believe this was the first time I realized just how close a band our heroes really had with one another. I loved it, and it moved me. Mac's fate was shocking, but the end of part two left my friends and I slackjawed. I have yet to see anything in episodic television that tops it for an ending...(Of course, I watch virtually no new TV, so that's not surprising.)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

golfmobile wrote:I think it was "Way of the Stalking Horse" ... when my spouse pointed out that TM was batting left-handed. Maybe he's right-handed for everything but batting.
Could well be. There are all sorts of reasons why a person might do a particular thing with "the other hand." My father was a natural leftie, but he batted right-handed because that's how the other kids had showed him. It occurs to me that as a kid, Magnum might have idolized a big-league player who was either a southpaw or a switch-hitter, and so made a point of learning to bat left-handed. (Apparently someone before Al Kaline -- according to Wikipedia, he's a rightie.)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IslandHopper wrote:
golfmobile wrote:It's very rewarding that he took Ivan out, but ... [w]hat did they do with the body?
I've often wondered the same thing. Did they shoot the limo driver too? And, don't you think that the State Department would be more than a little peeved....

I was also surprised that Magnum used his own gun....
Hubby and I were just discussing this question, and we both figure that Buck had given Magnum the (unofficial) impression that -- although his hands were tied -- he sure wouldn't mind if someone else took care of Ivan. And so Magnum deduced (apparently correctly) that the military and the State Department would be more than willing/able to sweep things under the rug afterwards.

The Soviets couldn't very well raise a stink, since Ivan was officially -- what? a Bulgarian? -- and the Bulgarians wouldn't much care, since he wasn't really one of theirs.

IslandHopper76
Ensign

It was no Ferrari..........

#25 Post by IslandHopper76 »

I always wondered about the car -explosion in which Mac dies.
Have you ever noticed that he car which explodes is not a Ferrari 308GTS, but a Lotus Excel / Elite?

If you take a closer look, you wil find out, that the burning car is no convertible but has a nearly identical front-bumper.

I think it was cheaper to burn a Lotus than a Ferrari ;-)

Greets, Morten