1%

Total votes: 146

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (1) (3.1)

#71 Post by terryfromkerry »

Milton Collins wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:Watching this one for the first time in a few years. Ok the dude on the telephone pole who reports back to colonel Green is so clearly the guy who plays Doc Ibold it's not even funny lol. I'm not trying to rip on the show (obviously love it to death) but I completely enjoy finding the bit actors who play very different recurring roles.

Hi Milton

If memory serves me correctly the man on the telephone pole was actor /stuntman Robert F. Hoy aka Bob Hoy. :magnum:

Just googled it, your right!!! Good spot, I stand corrected lol:)
Cheers Milton ,

I always enjoy your posts. My first western series as a kid was " THE HIGH CHAPARRAL" . Bob Hoy was one of the regular cast members. I always loved westerns and he featured in many ( Bonanza , The Virginian ,etc back in the day). You are spot on about about the lesser or bit part actors making several appearances on MPI. Bob Hoy was in 4 MPI episodes between 1981 & 1986. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi Milton and welcome!

If you click on the "Magnum Mania" banner at the top of any Forum page it will take you to the Magnum Mania homepage. From there click on "Episodes" at the top, and you will find the Episode Guide page with detailed info about each episode, including actors.

Have fun! :D

~RG

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Milton Collins »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi Milton and welcome!

If you click on the "Magnum Mania" banner at the top of any Forum page it will take you to the Magnum Mania homepage. From there click on "Episodes" at the top, and you will find the Episode Guide page with detailed info about each episode, including actors.

~RG

Hey Thanks! That will help me on my hobby of spotting character actors (especially the repeat ones!)

Brad

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Milton Collins wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi Milton and welcome!

~RG

Hey Thanks! That will help me on my hobby of spotting character actors (especially the repeat ones!)

Brad
You're welcome, Brad! I enjoy scanning the "extras" in the background to find the repeats.

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#75 Post by Lance Mannion »

So I just re-watched one of my favorite TV Drama Episode's of all time ... The above entitled (It blew my socks off, as a kid) ... Sorry, if this has been addressed already, but is the Japanese Ambassador shown, John Hillerman - AKA "Higgins" ???

And who here, really thought TM would "waste" Ivan, in the final scene - Esp. When they first saw it ? ... In today's Military, the term is usually "reduce" ... (Not saying or implying, Ivan did not deserve it in spades) ... But it was what is was, AND what did they do with the Driver ? He heard the shot, and could easily ID Rick & his car (according to "Buck" there were only 14 of them on the Island ... )

LM

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by Milton Collins »

Watched again and just loved it, great overall episode! I can only complain that the TC/Nuzo/Poisoned gum and mind control from 10 plus years before was a little bit of a stretch but well worth it as this episode is one of the best. The vietnam backstory especially, totally gripping and extremely realistic. I can't imagine a more hateable, despicable villain than Ivan, and the ending monalogue between he and TM with Ivan getting "wasted" by Thomas was just an awesome way to end this one. Probably the best ending of the entire series. As Milton Collins would say, "Bravo Magnum" to this entire episode!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#77 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

This is still one of my favorite Magnum PI episodes, but stil it's not perfect. Besides the magical brainwashing bubble-gum, the idea of a Bulgarian agent looking exactly like Nuzzo, even after plastic surgery, and nailing him down to the voice and the accent is a bit far-fetched.

Also the scenes with Ivan were a bit camp. That cookiiiiie/niggarrrr schtick was unintentionally comical and the whole 'you Amerrricans with yourrr stupid prrrrinciples' speech is a bit cringeworthy seen from this side of the Cold War.

TSM308
Captain

#78 Post by TSM308 »

Definitely one of the classics. Seeing blood pour out of Cookie while being told to stick his finger in the hole gave me nightmares when I was a kid.
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

It's definitely what one would call "squick" nowadays. That said, gushing aside, that blood is too opaque to look all that real.

Anyone else get a Lucie Arnaz vibe from Julie? :D

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by ENSHealy »

3.1 DID YOU SEE THE SUNRISE?
Hawaiian shirts: 0
Island Hopper shirts: 1 light blue with white logo
Body Count: 2 Cookie, Mac
Shirtless: 1 – but by TC!
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 1 – but TC does it for him when speaking to Nuzo.
Magnum gunshot wounds: 0
Higgins musings: 1 – Tanker Moran
4th wall breaks: 2
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: .5 James Whitmore Jr.
Magnumometer: 8.5

Flub? Based on the blue-to-brown fade of the water color, it appears that TC is dropping TM off in about 3 feet of water near the shore, instead of the supposed 6 miles offshore. So, Thomas then paddles back to the estate…he couldn’t have just paddled 3 miles out and back? He sure would have owed TC less gas money then.

James, the episode guide refers to Doc Wei, but it should be Duc Hue, which is an actual province in Vietnam.

Is it me or does Ivan carry the same Government Model 1911 .45 as Magnum does? Interesting that the KGB would issue him that....

There's a couple timeline flubs. When Nuzo is telling TC that Ivan's been after him, TC says "Man, it's been ten years." That would put Duc Hue in 1972. But later, when Nuzo is holding the picture of TM, TC and Cookie, he asks TC when the picture was taken and TC says "68. It was Cookie's birthday, he bought the farm a week after that." There are two problems with this. First, the 1968/1972 discrepancy. But also, we know that Ivan had TM, TC and Cookie at Duc Hue for 3 months before Cookie is killed ("3 months at Duc Hue and still you are cracking jokes"). So Cookie can't have "bought the farm" only a week after the pic was taken because, among other things Cookie is clean shaven in the picture and he's got that full "I've been a POW for a while" beard when he's shot.

Flub? When we see Higgins putting the River Kwai bridge together, there are "matchsticks" in it that are much longer than the matchsticks we saw Higgins "beheading" earlier in the episode. I suppose theoretically he could have "beheaded" some long fireplace matchsticks later that we just don't see?

Is it me, or did the writers/producers have a little fetish about loading up hospital scenes with numerous pages over the P.A. system? They seem to come fast and furious whenever the scene is at a hospital. There are three in just the one short hospital scene in this episode:
Dr Harris, l.C.U. stat.
Dan Feltzer, Seven West, Pathology
Dr Kahaloa, Trauma Unit B. Kahaloa, T. Unit B.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Higgins: Good morning, Magnum.
Magnum: Morning, Higgins. Guys.
Higgins: There's some tea on the table, and some scones. You might try the strawberry jam. lt's really quite good. Old comrade from the Burma campaign sent it to me. Tanker Moran. Got his name when he single-handedly took on a Japanese tank and knocked it out. [pause] Now he's selling jam in Devonshire.

Higgins: Your ten seconds are up, however l am not a man without heart. He left here with Lieutenant MacReynolds about seven.
TC: With Mac?
Higgins: And while l have no idea where they went, knowing the two of them, try some strip joint with a name like the Boom-Boom Room.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:Flub? Based on the blue-to-brown fade of the water color, it appears that TC is dropping TM off in about 3 feet of water near the shore, instead of the supposed 6 miles offshore. So, Thomas then paddles back to the estate…he couldn’t have just paddled 3 miles out and back? He sure would have owed TC less gas money then.
My impression was that the whole point of asking T.C. to pick him up on the lawn was to rattle Higgins' cage and get him all spun up. Plus when does Magnum ever pay any actual gas money? LOL
Flub? When we see Higgins putting the River Kwai bridge together, there are "matchsticks" in it that are much longer than the matchsticks we saw Higgins "beheading" earlier in the episode. I suppose theoretically he could have "beheaded" some long fireplace matchsticks later that we just don't see?
The careful and precise beheading of the matchsticks seemed like an integral and enjoyable part of the process, so there were probably long matches that were done before or after the little matches that we saw.

....If they were done later, maybe Higgins pretended the tall matches were Magnum and T.C. :lol:
Is it me, or did the writers/producers have a little fetish about loading up hospital scenes with numerous pages over the P.A. system? They seem to come fast and furious whenever the scene is at a hospital. There are three in just the one short hospital scene in this episode:
Dr Harris, l.C.U. stat.
Dan Feltzer, Seven West, Pathology
Dr Kahaloa, Trauma Unit B. Kahaloa, T. Unit B.
Yes they did, and it's my understanding that the people being paged were often people associated with the show. Do we know who any of those folks are?
Last edited by K Hale on Fri May 04, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by eagle »

ENSHealy, love that post. Are you doing this for every episode?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ENSHealy »

eagle wrote:ENSHealy, love that post. Are you doing this for every episode?
That is the plan. I recently started watching the series again in order, but I didn't start regularly adding comments to the forum until I got to 2.3 Woman on the Beach. The more I watched, the more my thoughts coalesced around tracking certain key elements throughout the course of the series. A draft of the "Magnumometer" made its first appearance in the forum entry for 2.19 Double Jeopardy, and it made it's first "official" appearance in my comments on 2.20 The Last Page.

So now, in addition to moving forward with the series in season 3, I'm going to circle back and fill in the Season 1 and 2 episodes and post a Magnumometer for each.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

karolis
Admiral

#84 Post by karolis »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* Also, I only noticed this for the first time when watching the episode last night – on the back section of his surf-ski, a Cross of Lorraine is painted.
Screenshot:

A Cross of Lorraine was visible in episode "Mad Buck Gibson" too (02:07): http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... =90#p55299
J.J. Walters wrote:Anybody ever notice the camera/cameraman strapped to the side of the chopper as it lands on the estate? I didn't either. This is the camera that's filming Mosley/T.C. "flying" the chopper from the back seat.

Here's the better quality screenshot:

Mosley in the back seat:

snp389 wrote: I love the small things - TM watching a classic movie "stalag 17" whilst eating what looks like chocolate drops;
I believe it was not chocolate (because of the color):

thechickinthemiddle wrote:It's definitely what one would call "squick" nowadays. That said, gushing aside, that blood is too opaque to look all that real.
Yeah, my thought exactly. Screenshot:

-----

Higgins caches Rick taking wages for the surf ski race.
Rick explains that coefficients is what is owned and for how many months. The Higgins tell him the story:
“This reminds me the time I caught Magnum on the household computer playing Dungeons and Dragons. He said he was trying to compute the shortest distance between the estate and various spots he frequents around the island. He was doing this, he said, to reduce wear and tear on the Ferrari” (46:02)
Magnum will actually be caught by Higgins playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in season five’s episode 12 “Little Games”.

Maggie about Nuzo (1:02:20):
“Colonel, why don’t we just make Five-O stop him next time he moves, do routine license check”
Another confirmation about shared universe with “Hawaii Five-0”

karolis
Admiral

#85 Post by karolis »

I believe this is a Old Sugar Mill, which can be seen on "Mad Buck Gibson', when Buck crashes the Ferrari:

As noted by Kudu buck here:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... =45#p37834

Google Maps: https://www.google.lt/maps/place/Kealoh ... 58.1265498

That desperate 4th wall break:

Coops beer clearly seen again:

You can see burning Mac:

You can see face of the driver that was following T.C.'s van: