6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 146

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Seaver41 »

this is maybe the best example of what made Magnum the best..........not afraid to shake the viewer from their comfort zone. The series encompassed it all and could make you laugh and damn near cry as well as shock. I guess maybe then for me it is that unpredictability that the show could provide that had me hooked back in the day.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Bo Svenson (Ivan) is a really interesting guy...

- U.S. Marine Corps 1959-1965.
- U.S. Armed Forces Far East Heavyweight Division Judo Champion (1961).
- High-ranking black belt in judo and other martial arts, inducted into the Martial Arts Masters Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Won silver (65-69-year-old 90kg division) in the 2009 USA Judo National Championships despite three broken ribs suffered days earlier.
- Ph.D. candidate in Meta-Physics at UCLA 1970-1974.
- Chairman of the board and CEO of Motion Picture Group of America from 1984-1994.
- He was television's highest-paid actor for his reprisal of Buford Pusser in the television series "Walking Tall" (1981). Only Johnny Carson was making more than he was at the time.

:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#53 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Bo Svenson (Ivan) is a really interesting guy...

- U.S. Marine Corps 1959-1965.
- U.S. Armed Forces Far East Heavyweight Division Judo Champion (1961).
- High-ranking black belt in judo and other martial arts, inducted into the Martial Arts Masters Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Won silver (65-69-year-old 90kg division) in the 2009 USA Judo National Championships despite three broken ribs suffered days earlier.
- Ph.D. candidate in Meta-Physics at UCLA 1970-1974.
- Chairman of the board and CEO of Motion Picture Group of America from 1984-1994.
- He was television's highest-paid actor for his reprisal of Buford Pusser in the television series "Walking Tall" (1981). Only Johnny Carson was making more than he was at the time.

:shock:
Wow! All that and going for a PhD in Meta-Physics! I wonder if he ever got it? Thanks James.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Seaver41 »

I loved those Walking Tall movies as a kid...........the series....not so much.

snp389
Captain

#55 Post by snp389 »

This and part 2 are THE BEST episodes of the whole series in my opinion!
I was only 11yrs old when this first was broadcast in Australia in 1982.
The entire series left deep impact on a young adventurous Aussie kid in the early '80's. And this particular 2-parter stood out to me the most.
I think it was the mixing of all the greatness of the production/writing/directing and acting team.
We saw a great Wartime history of mateship; we saw how that has evolved ten years later in peacetime; we saw an intricate subterfuge plot that could be relevant today; we saw the great character of Higgins at his 'big brother/fatherly' best; and we see more to TM's Naval history.
The sad losing of Mac and intro of Maggie P is well done, seamless and believable. Realistic.
I love the small things - TM watching a classic movie "stalag 17" whilst eating what looks like chocolate drops; Higgins inviting TM to some Devonshire Tea and Scones, and the 'Lads' being so supportive lying with Higgins whilst he is "decapitating" the match heads.
The surf-ski practise run, with TC asking if TM is bothered by "all those big fish..."
And of course TM 'breaking the 4th wall' to include US - the audience at the best moments. You always feel integral to the moment and feeling. Brilliantly done. Wonder whose idea that was? I know that Higgins and TC have also done it, even with TC looking to the audience and asking the question - "Did it ever occur to you that that boy cannot count past one...?" Bloody funny and believable.
The denouement and resolution with TM shooting ‘Ivan’ is THE BEST ENDING of any show EVER! A Veteran, who had seen a recent mate killed, that was meant for himself, and thence being a part of something that is beyond political lines, and discovering the truth, thereby not allowing any real justice be applied, TM acts! As a Retired Australian Army Infantry Soldier and SNIPER, I still watch this show with love and respect - like an old Army mate that I can always talk to, without any disrespect nor critical condemnation.
Good on ya mates! To all of you who made this show. Especially Belisario, a former US Marine. His personal influence, experiences and imagination made this series.
And this is what I believe to be the best of the best!
Last edited by snp389 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by eagle »

I have recently started watching Magnum, p.i., from start to finish via Netflix. I get to watch 2-3 episodes a week, because I watch during my lunch break at work.

Just yesterday I finished two-part premiere, and I wanted to post that I was sad to see that they killed off Mack.

I have always liked the show, but I didn't get to watch it in the 1980s - my parents wouldn't let me. So, I have started watching it just in the last several years, through syndication and now Netflix. I have always enjoyed a good whodunnit, and especially private detective shows (back then, Charlie's Angels, Simon & Simon, Rockford Files; and more recently Psych, Monk, Castle), but I absolutely love this show!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#57 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome eagle! You're well on your way to becoming a bona fide Magnum Maniac! Netflix is really opening up the show to a whole new audience! Great to see! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I didn't get to watch it in the 1980s - my parents wouldn't let me"
whoever could be against watching this show?! and why, more importantly.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by eagle »

Yeah, I have no idea why not. In any case, I'm now getting to watch the show, and I love it.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Braddah Kimo »

We loved (and love) watching Hawaii 5-0 for the view of our Hawaii in da 70's, then magnum for da view of our Hawaii in da 80's. Now we watch H50 redux for the bickering of the two leads... ah well.
ya know, they should jut drop the other shoe and do a contemporary magnum in modern Hawaii. I betcha they got it in the works as we speak!

kademan100
Ensign

#61 Post by kademan100 »

I'd like ti know why the Navy was spying and gaining intelligence on Magnum from the very beginning. As in, what did Ivan's being in Hawaii have to.do with Magnum, and why was the Navy concerned?

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by .45caliber »

I believe Col. Greene says something about intel finding out about a Russian operation named "Reunion", taking place during the Japanese visit and that the name Magnum had come up.

Tanner68
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by Tanner68 »

The TV Cartoon Archer does an homage to the final scene.
It is epidsode 3.9, The Placebo Effect.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (1) (3.1)

#64 Post by Sisophous »

TC lands his helicopter on the estate and Higgins goes crazy. TC takes Magnum out to sea, 6 miles, to get a workout paddling back on his surf ski. TC sings "Got a Date With an Angel" while flying back, what incredible scenery of the island and cliff side estates. The six plus minutes video here I think is among the very best in the entire series. The personalities of Magnum, TC and Higgins are at their finest. The aerial footage is tops too. Here's the video:

After turning on your speakers/audio, open the video link below, select 480p quality and the middle size video is best.

http://youtu.be/6BVxK8kSQwE

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (1) (3.1)

#65 Post by charybdis1966 »

ITV4 (in the UK)is currently showing MPI however after Three minus two they have gone straight to "Ki'is don't lie" - it seems like the censors on ITV have deemed this episode as politically unsuitable.

What a shame.