It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 48%  48%  [ 52 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 32%  32%  [ 35 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
7.5 (Decent) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 108
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:17 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Great interview.....Sam gets credit for finding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsmOUMARVY

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:51 pm 
Fleet Admiral

kademan100 wrote:
So my friend and I got into a discussion. He claims that T.C., should have gone to jail for the crimes he committed via brainwashing... Also, had he killed anyone and gone through with it, he would be sentenced to life w.o parole or death. My argument was it was T.C. wasn't guilty of anything and had been drugged and brainwashed into commiting said crimes. Debriefing was only thing necessary. Had he killed and gone through with it? Possibly a different story, but still not 'guilty'.. Thoughts??

I know this is over three years old but it is part of something I always wonder about with TV being pretty much unrealistic.

The whole brainwashing issue comes down to the ability to form intent, or mens rea, which is the Latin term. TC in real life, depending on the state law, and I don't know what Hawaii law is or was, could get the charges reduced for diminished capacity in a plea bargain or could get reduced sentences with mitigating circumstances. Brainwashing might go so far as to preclude any charges but I highly doubt it. Even if prosecutors saw the torture as provocation then TC probably gets a charge of manslaughter. Again, every state is different and every prosecutor is different. There was something called the Stockholm Syndrome that Patty Hearst used by being kept in crude captivity and establishing an affinity with her captors. it didn't work for bank robbery so I doubt it would work for murder. One of the most ridiculous defenses ever used was the "twinkie" defense which is now prohibited. In San Francisco the Mayor and Harvey Milk were killed by a man who claimed junk food and sugar diminished his brain!

I also wondered how it looks, especially to those who live and breathe TV and do not always recognize the lack of reality on TV, when Magnum simply blows someone away and there is no follow-up criminal investigation.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:46 pm 
Baron Of GIFs

KingKC wrote:
kademan100 wrote:

I also wondered how it looks, especially to those who live and breathe TV and do not always recognize the lack of reality on TV, when Magnum simply blows someone away and there is no follow-up criminal investigation.

Higgins wasn't Robin Masters. He was Perry Mason.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:55 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Just watched for about the tenth time and yet again, absolute perfection! I think this is a top five episode of the entire series and embodies the show perhaps better than any other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:44 am 
Fleet Admiral

This episode is on most people's top ten list! The question is; could you air this episode now(as it was aired in 1982) with today's social climate?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:33 am 
Admiral

Well the players would change undoubtedly, with the target probably making a lot more sense strategically than a Japanese prince or ambassador. I can see Greene or Hawkes not wanting to cause an international incident with the Chinese, especially since they have the largest army on Earth. :P Even back in 1982, a Chinese assassination target would have made more sense considering that by the Deng era the PRC had long split from the Soviets and had already started to thaw relations with the U.S.

Relating back to the question of the possible aftermath after the ending in the first part's forum, I agree that Hawkes and Greene would cover up Ivan's death considering how much even they hated him. In fact, there's a theory on Magnum's TV Tropes page stating that since his plan failed and he was identified as a Russian agent, the Soviets would probably have him killed themselves if they ever got a hold of him.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:43 pm 
Ensign

and always when it's shown in the UK the ending is always cut when its shown on ITV4
Regards Andrew

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:52 pm 
Lieutenant

I think the repercussions of killing Ivan would be very minimal if there were any at all. Plus it doesn't show just how far into the jungle Magnum takes him. I'm betting it was quite a ways in out of hearing range at least so the chances are there was never any evidence. It wouldn't surprise me if the hole was already dug even. Remember this was premeditated and planned out, the CIA has been doing stuff like this since they were formed and Magnum having done all types of Special Operations in Vietnam would have treated this just like any other mission. I Think it was in the episode one for all that Tyler informs everyone about how good Magnum is at search and destroy missions, the best he says. Now TC stealing a Helicopter and shooting up a reserve training mission that's a different story, that would take a pretty high level cover-up, but certainly possible, especially with Col. Greene not wanting any public attention what so ever.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:05 pm 
Admiral

Good point. Magnum killing Ivan is indeed a lot easier to hide than T.C. and his chopper, especially with T.C. still likely being on probation from "Thicker Than Blood".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7