6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 143

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by Rutledal »

I just want to get it out there that despite what is claimed in this episode the bridge in The Bridge on the River Kwai was not at any point blown up by William Holden, or any other "American sailor" for that matter. It's blown up by a dying Alec Guinness.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Second half of this great feature-length story. A shorter review this time, I’d said most of what I have to say about this one on Part I.

[rating=10]

Magnum, T.C. and Nuzo set about finding Ivan before he kills them first, but there is an unseen twist that neither Magnum nor T.C. see coming. Conclusion of this excellent story…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

The story continues with the second half of this excellent story.

There are some great action shots, such as the undercover Naval officer posing as a workman getting shot and hanging off the phone poll, with Magnum trying to get to him before the sniped finishes him off; and some great helicopter work.

We see Jean Bruce Scott as Lt. Maggie Scott for the first time. Scott would go on to play Caitlin in the second and third seasons of Bellisario’s ‘Airwolf’ a couple of years after this story was produced.

T.C. being so far under Nuzo’s drugs that he can be duped into believing he is carrying out a mission in ‘Nam, may be stretching believability very slightly, but thankfully it is pulled off credibly.

And then there is the ending. One of the most unexpected and shocking endings of the entire series, and one that anyone who has ever seen the episode remembers.

All-in-all, although Part I is a bit padded, this ultimately winds up as one of the best MPI entries, and sets the high standard for the great third season.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* On my review for Part I, I questioned if there was originally an opening trailer, as the DVD version doesn’t have one. Re-watching the beginning last night, I noticed that the end of some music can briefly be heard before the main titles, suggesting something indeed was removed. I’m not sure if this is the same on the R2 versions (I fall under R2, but buy R1 as they come out sooner and often have extra bonuses).

* We hear T.C.’s full name, Theodore Calvin, on-screen for the first time.

* When T.C. and Nuzo charge through the Reserves entrance in Rick’s car, we hear the tyres screeching on the ground. Maybe I’m wrong, but the tyres would surely only screech like that on concrete – the car is on a dirt track. Either way, the actual sound is a stock effect that can be heard in many Universal shows.

* Many shots of T.C. in the helicopter are noticeably reversed back-to-front, as the microphone on his helmet changes sides.

* Also, shots of Magnum and Rick in the back of the Naval chopper are also back-to-front – notice that the lettering on Magnum’s Da Nang hat is reversed. Towards the end of the sequence, at the Valley of the Temples, they suddenly swap sides – this is the correct way around.

* There is also a brief shot of Buck and the chopper pilot back-to-front as well!

* As mentioned on my review for Part I, Channel 5 in the U.K. took the feature-length version and edited into two halves themselves. Part I ends as T.C. arrives at the Estate and says that Nuzo is after them, after which a ‘home made’ (i.e. added by 5) caption reads ‘To be continued…”. Part II opens with a ‘home made’ series of clips recapping Part I, lasting 2:38. After that, it plays the opening credits, and the rest of the episode plays complete, except for removal of Ivan calling T.C. the n-word several times.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Coops »

"You mean that's not the carburetor?" -Rick

No Mercedes Benz 380 SL (R107 chassis) sold in the North American market EVER came with a carburetor, they were all Bosch F.I.

In fact I don't think ANY R107's came with a carburetor that was built for the North American market.

Good thing Rick was a weapons expert and not an engineer!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MACattack »

Magnum: 1

Ivan: 0!
I just don't give a damn!

jno
Captain

#25 Post by jno »

I just saw this episode on the UK satellite channel DMAX today, I had never seen it before or read about it on this site. Sadly, the episode is heavily edited and the final gun shot from Magnum wasn't shown, so I was left to wonder "did he do it or not?". Even without the gunshot my jaw dropped because I just thought "would he do it? no way, this is Magnum, but just maybe!"

This led me to this site and a viewing and discovery of the unedited ending! Amazing! No marks to UK channel DMAX for editing it. In the versions I have seen there is no mention of the "N" word anywhere.

Honestly, edited or unedited - what an excellent bit of TV this is - the ultimate TV good guy who everyone loves being forced to treat the exact opposite of everything he stands for to a bit of rough justice. What happened thereafter is anyone's guess, it is murder, but for some reason, I think it is OK for Magnum to do it - amazing.

Magnum is truly great.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Coops »

Buck Green also incorrectly identifies Rick's car as a "450 (SL)" when it's actually a 380SL.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MACattack »

thats because Buck Green is as ignorant as they come!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MACattack »

It was a beautiful day in Santa Barbara today! It made me think of Hawai'i.

Cutter
Lieutenant

#29 Post by Cutter »

Of course a great episode but since it was pointed out TC is in the rear of the helicopter when he goes to the estate in the begining I have noticed that on his approach (an over all view) you can see the camera crew in the rear part of the chopper filming....it is quick but is there.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MACattack »

Does anybody know if there's a copy of STALAG 17 on DVD somewhere? just out of curiousity

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#31 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

You can try something like Netflix and see if they have it. If you want to buy it I'd try Amazon.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MACattack »

Thanks. I'll go with Amazon.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by charybdis1966 »

jno wrote:I just saw this episode on the UK satellite channel DMAX today, I had never seen it before or read about it on this site. Sadly, the episode is heavily edited and the final gun shot from Magnum wasn't shown, so I was left to wonder "did he do it or not?". Even without the gunshot my jaw dropped because I just thought "would he do it? no way, this is Magnum, but just maybe!"
I've been watching MPI on DMAX too and was pretty disappointed to see the denoument of this episode censored out.
I can't understand this at all - there are a whole heap of extremely violent things that are allowed to be shown and yet this pivotal moment is deemed something that has to be censored.
I can only assume it's the "do-gooders" ruling the roost again.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by robspace54 »

The name of the prison camp was "Duc Que?" Can't find the right name - can anyone help me out?

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Sam »

Rob..I think it's Duc Hue,if it exists.Hue, pronounced Way was a South Vietnamese city about 20 miles northwest of DaNang.