6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 143

kademan100
Ensign

#51 Post by kademan100 »

So my friend and I got into a discussion. He claims that T.C., should have gone to jail for the crimes he committed via brainwashing... Also, had he killed anyone and gone through with it, he would be sentenced to life w.o parole or death. My argument was it was T.C. wasnt guilty of anything and had been drugged and brainwashed into commiting said crimes. Debriefing was only thing necessary. Had he killed and gone through with it? Possibly a different story, but still not 'guilty'.. Thoughts??

JT
Captain

#52 Post by JT »

TC is not guilty. If he had committed a crime while being brainwashed, he's not accountable for his actions. That’s my two cents.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#53 Post by Doc Fred »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:As others have said, this had a GREAT ending.... That ending makes you love Magnum even more. Justice was done, though not by a court. The ultimate evil in the entire series was taken out, never to harm again.

No PC and no tears for Ivan.
I always see this as "the Mike Hammer" episode. I'm a big fan of the Spillane novels and the 80s TV series and this is pretty much how every one ends! I never tire of it though.

Judge, jury, executioner. :wink:
Yeah, I loved the Mike Hammer series, too.... We need more shows like these. I can't watch more than one of two of the shows on the air now. Those "situation comedies" are, for me, worthless and inane.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#54 Post by Doc Fred »

Agreed....No way would TC have been found guilty.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (2) (3.2)

#55 Post by Italian Ice »

You've got to be kidding! If any of you have seen the cartoon show "Archer" (very funny show by the way), there's an episode that kind of spoofs the end of this episode. I know the scene is a bit much for its time, and then any fan can easily make the connection, but I never thought I'd see something like this. I guess you also have to see the entire episode. By the way, "Regis" is Archer and his liking to watch the tv show.

Clip on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdj62aqx-w

Link to Archer TVshow - The episode is Season 2 Episode 9 - Placebo effect
http://www.primewire.ag/watch-27937-Archer

Seriously though, this show is pretty good!
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#56 Post by marlboro »

There is one niggling thing about this episode that bothers me - how would they Thomas and Rick get away with it? Magnum would have to be a suspect, right? And what did they do with the chauffeur?

It's stupid, I know, but these are the things I think about.

robspace54B
Ensign

#57 Post by robspace54B »

The Esquire Channel here in the States is now playing Magnum, P.I. every week four or five episodes on Tuesday afternoons. Caught "Did You See The Sunrise" and am still jolted (even after 32 years) by the shock of Thomas putting Ivan away.

The chill I felt the first time, when it was aired in 1982, is still there. Oh my.

Rob

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by Harold Farber »

Rating (parts 1 and 2): 10.

Great story, writing, acting (Mosley is brilliant) and great job creating a real sense of doom throughout these episodes. They sure don't make TV like this anymore.

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#59 Post by Lance Mannion »

My bad, repost - wrong thread, 1 versus 2 ---- So I just re-watched one of my favorite TV Drama Episode's of all time ... The above entitled (It blew my socks off, as a kid) ... Sorry, if this has been addressed already, but is the Japanese Ambassador shown, John Hillerman - AKA "Higgins" ???

And who here, really thought TM would "waste" Ivan, in the final scene - Esp. When they first saw it ? ... In today's Military, the term is usually "reduce" ... (Not saying or implying, Ivan did not deserve it in spades) ... But it was what is was, AND what did they do with the Driver ? He heard the shot, and could easily ID Rick & his car (according to "Buck" there were only 14 of them on the Island ... )

LM

Turkey
Admiral

#60 Post by Turkey »

marlboro wrote:There is one niggling thing about this episode that bothers me - how would they Thomas and Rick get away with it? Magnum would have to be a suspect, right? And what did they do with the chauffeur?

It's stupid, I know, but these are the things I think about.

I've only seen the episode about three times now and every time the ending packs a punch. Obviously one of the all-time great Magnum episodes.

Awesome to see Higgins angry at being called 'Higgy Baby' and I thought there was some (unplanned) foreshadowing of Home from the Sea, when TC asks Magnum why is he's worried about 'big fish' when he's out to sea.

But I agree, marlboro -I always wonder how they disposed of Ivan's body and what they did with the driver etc
Make it two weeks.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by KENJI »

Great interview.....Sam gets credit for finding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsmOUMARVY

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#62 Post by KingKC »

kademan100 wrote:So my friend and I got into a discussion. He claims that T.C., should have gone to jail for the crimes he committed via brainwashing... Also, had he killed anyone and gone through with it, he would be sentenced to life w.o parole or death. My argument was it was T.C. wasn't guilty of anything and had been drugged and brainwashed into commiting said crimes. Debriefing was only thing necessary. Had he killed and gone through with it? Possibly a different story, but still not 'guilty'.. Thoughts??
I know this is over three years old but it is part of something I always wonder about with TV being pretty much unrealistic.

The whole brainwashing issue comes down to the ability to form intent, or mens rea, which is the Latin term. TC in real life, depending on the state law, and I don't know what Hawaii law is or was, could get the charges reduced for diminished capacity in a plea bargain or could get reduced sentences with mitigating circumstances. Brainwashing might go so far as to preclude any charges but I highly doubt it. Even if prosecutors saw the torture as provocation then TC probably gets a charge of manslaughter. Again, every state is different and every prosecutor is different. There was something called the Stockholm Syndrome that Patty Hearst used by being kept in crude captivity and establishing an affinity with her captors. it didn't work for bank robbery so I doubt it would work for murder. One of the most ridiculous defenses ever used was the "twinkie" defense which is now prohibited. In San Francisco the Mayor and Harvey Milk were killed by a man who claimed junk food and sugar diminished his brain!

I also wondered how it looks, especially to those who live and breathe TV and do not always recognize the lack of reality on TV, when Magnum simply blows someone away and there is no follow-up criminal investigation.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Re:

#63 Post by marlboro »

KingKC wrote:
kademan100 wrote:
I also wondered how it looks, especially to those who live and breathe TV and do not always recognize the lack of reality on TV, when Magnum simply blows someone away and there is no follow-up criminal investigation.

Higgins wasn't Robin Masters. He was Perry Mason.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Milton Collins »

Just watched for about the tenth time and yet again, absolute perfection! I think this is a top five episode of the entire series and embodies the show perhaps better than any other.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by MagnumILWU »

This episode is on most people's top ten list! The question is; could you air this episode now(as it was aired in 1982) with today's social climate?
"pickled egg please"