6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 114

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This crossover episode between the shows "Magnum" and "Simon & Simon" was really good! I loved the plot, of a supposed cursed Hawaiian artifact, and that anytime someone comes into contact with it, something unlucky or bad happens! :lol:

I watched both "Magnum" and "Simon & Simon"...but I was more of a fan of "Magnum"! The crossover of the two shows in the episode, though, was awesome and interesting. Morgan Fairchild, as always, was sexy and beatufiul...but deadly. :wink:

However, I was not really a huge fan of the second half of this storyline...the "Simon & Simon" episode "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend". :? It only included Higgins, and it got somewhat boring at times.

To be honest...my favorite crossover with "Magnum" was the "Magnum" and "Murder She Wrote" one! But, I like this crossover too. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Little Garwood »

I just re-watched Ki'i's Don't Lie again this evening and there's one bit that I must have missed. Just how does Magnum manage to track the Simons to their hotel after they steal the Ki'i :?:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

watched the two corssover episodes last night...........Magnum version decent....Simon and Simon version a snorefest. I struggled to stay awake even with Morgan Fairchild onscreen.

Rick ran the license plate of the rental and that led them to the hotel.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I quite liked that episode.
So THAT's why these two guys were somehow familiar from the :D Because they were Simon&Simon. I have a friend who has all the S&S episodes on DVD, have to get the Magnum cross over from her.
Unfortunately my sesaon one doesn't have the crossover episode on it. I have A-Team and Knight Rider :shock: :roll:

I quite believe in these super-natural forces, so for me it wasn't a heart attack, it was the curse!
:P

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#35 Post by ConchRepublican »

Danno wrote:Notice when Magnum and TC return to the estate after being duped- Rick is on the phone and the entry door behind them is open. It is very clearly a painted backdrop of trees and what looks like an astro-turf floor 'outside'. Very funny.
I watched this episode again last night and that popped right out at me! I was stunned I missed something so obvious before.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#36 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, I totally missed that, too! I can't recall ever seeing that painted backdrop behind that door in any other scene. Odd!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#37 Post by .45caliber »

That backdrop is as fake as Katherine's little "I don't feel well routine. "
I like how Magnum sees through the act, even when they go to dinner and she is clearly making an offer of ending the evening in bed but Magnum isn't interested, obviously turned off by it.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ki'i's Don't Lie (3.3)

#38 Post by Stelth »

I am not a fan of Simon and Simon so I didn't enjoy their intrusion into this episode.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#39 Post by Little Garwood »

Too bad there wasn't a second MPI-S&S crossover episode after S3, but I guess the whole point was to give S&S the lift the-then-struggling show needed, as S&S even topped MPI in the ratings for the 1983-84 season, as well as the two seasons afterwards:

Season Three (1983-84): #5 (MPI was #6)
Season Four (1984-85): #7 (MPI was #15)
Season Five: (1985-86): #29 (MPI not in top 30)
Last edited by Little Garwood on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Little Garwood »

Rick Simon's "Will Kill Pest Control" routine was used prior to Ki'i's Don't Lie. In the first season Simon & Simon episode Double Entry--original airdate: March 2, 1982--Rick wears the same grey pest control uniform and mask, and has a similar-looking spray tank. He does the "I'm spraying C-17...if you're an ant, it's fatal", adding the line "That's a joke" and a catchphrase "If it flies, it dies; if it crawls it falls" in what is a slight variation of the MPI episode. Plus, just as he does in the MPI episode, Rick leaves the spray canister on after he leaves so that is saturates the carpet. However, when the crook comes in to find the canister, he does NOT say "Oh my God!"

~Tom Selleck

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#41 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:Anybody know where the opening scene was shot?

It looks like this shot is in Century City, near Beverly Hills

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Sam »

Hey Hawaii Winds,

It has and you are right..

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... t_Lie.html

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that this was a pretty strong episode. I also enjoyed Simon and Simon so seeing them interact with Magnum's cast was different. I kind of recall that this was a big deal when it first aired. They hyped it up pretty well with the guys from Simon and Simon and Morgan Fairchild in it.

The main thing I didn't really like was the ending for the syndicated version. Higgins gets them to halt the plane and then has the police haul her off which was stretching things I thought. I know they had to do something to wrap it up for syndication, but maybe have her trip and cause the case to open and pour the money out in front of people would've worked better. AJ's surfer act seemed kind of a stretch too as he didn't really seem like a surfer and, clearly, they weren't buying it since he didn't know what he was talking about. I also wondered, if there WAS supposed to be fumigation at the estate that day since Higgins didn't even question it and he'd, presumably, be the one that had hired them.

I thought it was strong with the Simons and Magnum both getting the upper hand on each other throughout the episode. The Ki'i was a little too Brady Bunchish for my tastes, but they played it to where it wasn't too cartoon like. Morgan Fairchild was pretty good here as well.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Little Garwood »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I thought that this was a pretty strong episode. I also enjoyed Simon and Simon so seeing them interact with Magnum's cast was different. I kind of recall that this was a big deal when it first aired. They hyped it up pretty well with the guys from Simon and Simon and Morgan Fairchild in it.
It was definitely a huge deal for me back in '82. In fact, I would even say the MPI/S&S crossover is the greatest moment of my TV-viewing youth! A moment of pure perfection. I watch this and the S&S follow up more than I should admit.
SignGuyHPW wrote: AJ's surfer act seemed kind of a stretch too as he didn't really seem like a surfer and, clearly, they weren't buying it since he didn't know what he was talking about.
That was the intention, which of course made it quite hilarious--at least to me. When Magnum tells AJ "it could use some wax", AJ replies, "It's a rental", to which Thomas answers: "The board, hot shot!" AJ was great in this episode with the "I don't like Macadamia nuts!" as if that is what they'd serve in a Hawaiian prison.

I think I found a flub in Ki'is Don't Lie: Selleck's stuntman is wearing different shoes than Thomas. Magnum wears boat shoes whereas the stuntman wears white canvas sneakers. This can be seen as Catherine's chauffeur, Dennis, fights him.

Oh, and another flub is on the Audio page here at Magnum-Mania: The composer of the second (iconic) Simon & Simon theme is not Joseph Conlan, who composed the S&S reunion movie theme as well as several episodes of the original show, but rather Barry De Vorzon and Michael Towers. Come on James, ya gotta fix that. :wink:

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:Oh, and another flub is on the Audio page here at Magnum-Mania: The composer of the second (iconic) Simon & Simon theme is not Joseph Conlan, who composed the S&S reunion movie theme as well as several episodes of the original show, but rather Barry De Vorzon and Michael Towers. Come on James, ya gotta fix that. :wink:
Corrected! Thank you for pointing out this error. :oops:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!