2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 114

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#41 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:Anybody know where the opening scene was shot?

It looks like this shot is in Century City, near Beverly Hills

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ki'i's Don't Lie (3.3)

#42 Post by Sam »

Hey Hawaii Winds,

It has and you are right..

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... t_Lie.html

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that this was a pretty strong episode. I also enjoyed Simon and Simon so seeing them interact with Magnum's cast was different. I kind of recall that this was a big deal when it first aired. They hyped it up pretty well with the guys from Simon and Simon and Morgan Fairchild in it.

The main thing I didn't really like was the ending for the syndicated version. Higgins gets them to halt the plane and then has the police haul her off which was stretching things I thought. I know they had to do something to wrap it up for syndication, but maybe have her trip and cause the case to open and pour the money out in front of people would've worked better. AJ's surfer act seemed kind of a stretch too as he didn't really seem like a surfer and, clearly, they weren't buying it since he didn't know what he was talking about. I also wondered, if there WAS supposed to be fumigation at the estate that day since Higgins didn't even question it and he'd, presumably, be the one that had hired them.

I thought it was strong with the Simons and Magnum both getting the upper hand on each other throughout the episode. The Ki'i was a little too Brady Bunchish for my tastes, but they played it to where it wasn't too cartoon like. Morgan Fairchild was pretty good here as well.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Little Garwood »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I thought that this was a pretty strong episode. I also enjoyed Simon and Simon so seeing them interact with Magnum's cast was different. I kind of recall that this was a big deal when it first aired. They hyped it up pretty well with the guys from Simon and Simon and Morgan Fairchild in it.
It was definitely a huge deal for me back in '82. In fact, I would even say the MPI/S&S crossover is the greatest moment of my TV-viewing youth! A moment of pure perfection. I watch this and the S&S follow up more than I should admit.
SignGuyHPW wrote: AJ's surfer act seemed kind of a stretch too as he didn't really seem like a surfer and, clearly, they weren't buying it since he didn't know what he was talking about.
That was the intention, which of course made it quite hilarious--at least to me. When Magnum tells AJ "it could use some wax", AJ replies, "It's a rental", to which Thomas answers: "The board, hot shot!" AJ was great in this episode with the "I don't like Macadamia nuts!" as if that is what they'd serve in a Hawaiian prison.

I think I found a flub in Ki'is Don't Lie: Selleck's stuntman is wearing different shoes than Thomas. Magnum wears boat shoes whereas the stuntman wears white canvas sneakers. This can be seen as Catherine's chauffeur, Dennis, fights him.

Oh, and another flub is on the Audio page here at Magnum-Mania: The composer of the second (iconic) Simon & Simon theme is not Joseph Conlan, who composed the S&S reunion movie theme as well as several episodes of the original show, but rather Barry De Vorzon and Michael Towers. Come on James, ya gotta fix that. :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:Oh, and another flub is on the Audio page here at Magnum-Mania: The composer of the second (iconic) Simon & Simon theme is not Joseph Conlan, who composed the S&S reunion movie theme as well as several episodes of the original show, but rather Barry De Vorzon and Michael Towers. Come on James, ya gotta fix that. :wink:
Corrected! Thank you for pointing out this error. :oops:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#46 Post by Sir Fearing »

AJ was great in this episode with the "I don't like Macadamia nuts!" as if that is what they'd serve in a Hawaiian prison.
As I heard him mention the Macadamia nuts I automatically thought of John Hillermans Mauna Loa commercials...
Half a world removed from England

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by eagle »

Hi, all.

Does anyone know where the original version of this episode can be purchased online? I checked Amazon and iTunes, and it isn't there. Last week I purchased the Complete Series DVD set from Amazon, and (as we all know) that one does not include the S&S episode or the original as-aired version of Ki'i's Don't Lie. The really odd thing is that there's space for it in the Season 1 DVD (one of the DVDs has just 2 episodes on it, and my guess is that this disc is where the original of this and the S&S episode were). It's almost like Universal simply removed those episodes from the DVD set and then shipped those out.

I can watch the S&S episode on Hulu, but I'd really like to also have the original of this episode.

Thanks.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Little Garwood »

eagle wrote:Hi, all.

Does anyone know where the original version of this episode can be purchased online? I checked Amazon and iTunes, and it isn't there. Last week I purchased the Complete Series DVD set from Amazon, and (as we all know) that one does not include the S&S episode or the original as-aired version of Ki'i's Don't Lie. The really odd thing is that there's space for it in the Season 1 DVD (one of the DVDs has just 2 episodes on it, and my guess is that this disc is where the original of this and the S&S episode were). It's almost like Universal simply removed those episodes from the DVD set and then shipped those out.

I can watch the S&S episode on Hulu, but I'd really like to also have the original of this episode.

Thanks.
The 'B' side of disc four (the double-sided DVD) of MPI S1 (click the blue link) has the original version--when Catherine Hailey gets away--along with the Simon & Simon episode, Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend.

The original version episodes are also available on S2 of Simon & Simon, available from Shout! Factory. It's interesting to note that the picture quality on the Magnum DVD set is superior to the one of S&S put out by Shout! Factory. I keep my old double-sided MPI S1 for that reason alone.

~Tom Selleck

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by eagle »

Yeah, I was hoping to be able to buy just the one episode, but I guess I'll buy a season 1 set from half.com... Thanks.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#50 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

'She was young, and pretty, and Harold...wasn't'

Why didn't Harold get S&S to return the ki'i to the cave? He was obviously too ill to do it himself and he knew that having the ki'i in his hands would only make him sicker...

It's also quite unlikely that the cops would let Higgins arrest 'Morgan Fairchild' personally. Neither would they have a saying in who should keep the ki'i. The court should decide who is its rightful owner.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Little Garwood »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:'She was young, and pretty, and Harold...wasn't'

Why didn't Harold get S&S to return the ki'i to the cave? He was obviously too ill to do it himself and he knew that having the ki'i in his hands would only make him sicker...

It's also quite unlikely that the cops would let Higgins arrest 'Morgan Fairchild' personally. Neither would they have a saying in who should keep the ki'i. The court should decide who is its rightful owner.
That Rick Simon quote you posted--complete with its original comedic pause--always makes me chuckle. :lol:

I suppose it could be argued that Harold was so far gone that he would have croaked even if the Simons had brought the Ki'i to the cave instead of back to the hotel. After all, Harold died almost immediately after they handed it to him.

As to your second point, there were several instances where the law was conspicuously absent from the action. Shootouts at Robin's Nest, etc. I've always wanted to keep track of all the times when Magnum and co. handle things without any assistance from HPD.

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by KingKC »

I am so glad MPI crossed over with Simon and Simon and brought them to the Thursday night lineup. It made TV memorable for years to come.

KingKC

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by eagle »

Seeing the recent activity in this thread reminds me that the DVD set I have contains the syndicated 1-episode version of this show, rather than the two-part S&S crossover. Where can the original 2-part episode be obtained today? Is it only on the original season 1 disc set? I probably need to find that on half.com or something, because I'd like to have that original episode pair. I do wonder why they dropped that from the more recent DVD set, which is the one I have.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Little Garwood »

eagle wrote:Seeing the recent activity in this thread reminds me that the DVD set I have contains the syndicated 1-episode version of this show, rather than the two-part S&S crossover. Where can the original 2-part episode be obtained today? Is it only on the original season 1 disc set? I probably need to find that on half.com or something, because I'd like to have that original episode pair. I do wonder why they dropped that from the more recent DVD set, which is the one I have.
eagle, I answered your question in February of last year and in this very thread. :) The two-part episode is on the season two DVD set of Simon & Simon.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Little Garwood »

Gerald McRaney (Rick Simon) did an extensive career-retrospective interview with AV Club where he discusses the behind-the-scenes goings on for Ki'i's Don't Lie.

AVClub: "You mentioned "Some guy named Selleck” earlier. How was the experience of doing the crossover with Magnum, P.I.? Was it weird because it was two different creative teams?"

Gerald McRaney: A little bit, a little bit. But nothing bad. And the great thing about that was, we got sent over to Hawaii, we were there for, like, nearly two weeks, and we had to work all of five days. We had to keep putting off all the scenes that were shot at the mansion because every time we would schedule that day, it would be raining on that side of the island, so... “Okay, I guess it’s time to go swimming in the ocean again. Not a problem. We can do that.” [Laughs.] So we had a wonderful time on that show because we very rarely did anything! Being stuck in Hawaii at a five-star hotel is not bad. There are worse fates."

~Tom Selleck