2%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 99

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: The Eighth Part of the Village (3.4)

#51 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

'I do not know this poker'.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by KingKC »

What I remember most is the scene at the warehouse/loading dock when TM picked up the "cargo." Then I remember the last scenes where Higgins and the girls' father interface. What was so wonderfully shown was the honor and respect between two enemies that lasted for 40 years. It was, though, at this point I began to wonder how Higgins was actually supposed to be close to if not slightly over 60 years old and how John Hillerman did not "look" the part. Oh well...that is TV for you.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by K Hale »

IslandHopper wrote:This episode also has a time-line flub involving Higgins. In the scene right after Magnum falls into the water at the dock, the camera cuts to a shot of the estate at night and then Higgins and Mioshi (posing as Asani) having dinner. Higgins is telling her how he and her father met during WWII. Higgins says “It was 1942, Summer, I’d been transferred from the North African campaign to New Guinea and attached to the Australian 7th Division…” He goes on to say that after 6 months his unit stumbled upon Sato and his men. I believe Higgins was supposedly in North Africa in August 1942. In October 1942, Higgins was taking supplies to Chinese Guerillas in the Himalayas (J. Digger Doyle). If Higgins was transferred to New Guinea in the Summer (August) of 1942, and was there with the 7th Division for 6 months before meeting Sato and his men, then he could not have been in the Himalayas in October 1942.
I discount the Himalayas story because he was not in his right mind when telling it. He must have the date wrong and possibly other details too. The New Guinea version would be the correct one.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:What I remember most is the scene at the warehouse/loading dock when TM picked up the "cargo." Then I remember the last scenes where Higgins and the girls' father interface. What was so wonderfully shown was the honor and respect between two enemies that lasted for 40 years. It was, though, at this point I began to wonder how Higgins was actually supposed to be close to if not slightly over 60 years old and how John Hillerman did not "look" the part. Oh well...that is TV for you.

KingKC
He looks much younger than he is because of that ancient Tibetan time portal he passed through on the way up the Himalayas in 1942.

8)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

#55 Post by karolis »

IslandHopper wrote: This episode also includes a scene which takes place on the balcony of the estate’s main house, which offers a rare look at the grounds below. I may be mistaken, but I don’t recall any other scenes shot from this balcony. This balcony offers a beautiful vantage point, I’m surprised it wasn’t used more. The scene on the balcony takes place right after Magnum and TC search Roy Chambers’ apartment and get interrupted by the apartment manager.
Screenshot:

jno wrote: Having watched this today I spotted that the red Jaguar only has one rear brake light working at the end of the episode as it leaves the estate.
Screenshot:

Netsrak wrote:Filming location: The apartment building managed by Mrs. Cheever is in Waikiki on the southern corner of Ala Wai Boulevard and Pau Street. The apartment Magnum breaks into is on the Diamond Head side of the building, facing Ala Wai. (From inside the apartment, you can see the lights over the ballfields across the Ala Wai Canal, and you can also see the McCully Street Bridge out the window behind Magnum & TC.)

Look closely in the establishing shot of this location-- 19:14 on the DVD-- and you'll see the Island Hoppers van being driven the wrong way down one-way Pau Street!
Screenshots for comparison:

Has anyone spotted Magnum look alike's in this episode?

On the right there:

Another one here:

Poor birds:

The Box with Japanese(?) writings (anybody can translate?):

This scene looked a little bit gay. Two guys rents a room?

Season 3 Top up to this episode:
1-2. Did You See the Sunrise?
3. The Eighth Part of the Village
4. Ki'i's Don't Lie

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#56 Post by ENSHealy »

IslandHopper wrote:This episode also includes a scene which takes place on the balcony of the estate’s main house, which offers a rare look at the grounds below. I may be mistaken, but I don’t recall any other scenes shot from this balcony.
steveadl posted a link to the episode pics from 2.4 previously but didn't elaborate. It's the great scene at the end where Magnum is arranging Higgins's "toy soldiers" and Higgins analyzes their configuration as a military battle when in fact Thomas was recreating a play from the Army-Navy game one of the years he played. A great scene shot in a rare and great location!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#57 Post by ENSHealy »

Pahonu wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:"and the rare shot on the Estate on the balcony)" Not balcony. It's a lanai.
All the upstairs rooms open onto this space and there are no internal hallways whatsoever. This is actually quite unusual even for that style as it requires a temperate enough climate to be practical, which you guys definitely enjoy.
Are the bedroom doors sealed well enough to keep out rain, or does it just not rain sideways in Hawaii like it does here when it storms? Ever since I found out there aren't any internal hallways in that section of the building, I've wondered what keeps the rain from running under the doors into the bedrooms. It would definitely happen here unless you used exterior weather-stripped doors. Any insight on this, Pahonu?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#58 Post by ENSHealy »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:In the beginning of the episode, when the girl gets out of the crate, Magnum says: "OK, son". So he's supposed to be a PI (and a red-blooded heterosexual man) and he can't tell a girl from a boy? :shock:
She has her hair up under a hat. A small framed Asian woman with short-appearing hair would be easy to mistake for a young boy. That's why they make such a big deal of her hair falling over her face when she takes the hat off, that's the cue for TM and the audience to realize he is a she. Not exactly the Crying Game, but they gave it a shot.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by ENSHealy »

3.4 THE EIGHTH PART OF THE VILLAGE
Hawaiian shirts: 2 teal with white/purple flowers, classic jungle bird
Island Hopper shirts: 2 black or navy tank with grey logo, dark green with white logo
Body Count: 3 one bodyguard, 2 bad guy riflemen
Shirtless: 1 swimming in the tidal pool
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: 0
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: 1 Ogre!
Magnumometer: 11

So, did those two thugs in the pool hall think Rick & TC had bazookas hidden under their newspapers? Because that's about the only thing with a muzzle the width of a beer can. That one pushed suspension of disbelief right up to the breaking point for me.

It was commented that TM seemed out of character in this episode, that he was unusually harsh at the beginning toward Asani. I, however, just attribute that to foreshadowing, i.e. TM knows instinctively that something is not right. Even if he hasn't consciously figured it out yet, he knows something's rotten in Denmark and that comes out in his "call her father and send her home" attitude.

The "paging fetish" got quite a workout, for once not at a hospital or airport, but at the docks. Here are all the calls that came over the PA while TM was in the warehouse:
Mr. Akiola, come to receiving
Max, into the office on the double.
Get me a forklift on aisle 14 wiki wiki.
Aisle 23, you're slowing up.
One brace to the loading dock. Stack 'em on dock six.
We need a supervisor in aisle 14.
Stanley, report to personnel right away.

Episode Guide fixes needed:
1. "which at the time was the last remaining wood-flame structure in the downtown Honolulu area." Pretty sure that should be wood-frame structure....although wood-flame explains why it was the last one.
2. "The Hiaku that Sato..." s/b Haiku.
3. "They talked after the war when he found Sato in a Russian camp." There is no Russian camp, Higgins says "After the war l found him in one of our prisoner camps."

Continuity flub: TM is seen wearing the team ring on his right hand throughout the episode, including while driving the Ferrari and talking to TC in the chopper on the radio. However, in a shot shortly after that one, we see the hand-double driving (I believe I will call him The Pale Driver henceforth) and he has no team ring on, not even the usual upside-down one.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS
Higgins: [seeing Magnum attempting to sew his ripped pants leg] What amusing workmanship.
Magnum: l suppose you can do better.
Higgins: Of course. l put in a few turns as a batman, you know.

Higgins: lt was 1942, summer. l'd been transferred from North Africa to New Guinea and attached to the Australian Seventh Division. We were to push the enemy back across the island, across a spine of mountains. 100 miles in that terrible jungle. We called it the Kokoda Trail. Ever heard of it?
Asani/Mioshi: l have heard of the battles for Okinawa and Saipan and lwo Jima but never this Kokoda Trail.
Higgins: A place worth forgetting. lt could rain an inch in five minutes. The mud was black, full of disease, and of course we were killing each other. Your father's men and my men. After six months we were all starving. Malaria. My platoon had been lost for a day when we stumbled across your father's squad lying in a stand of kuani grass. Those who were still alive were without ammunition. So were we. And...too weak even to use our bayonets. Or at least, we didn't. We had some rations to spare and they had quinine for our fevers. That whole day, your father and l did not exchange a single word. One day of reason among so many of madness.
Asani/Mioshi: l understand now why he says he owes his life to you.
Higgins: And l to him. After the war l found him in one of our prisoner camps. We talked then and we have written over the years. We have never once yet spoken of that day on the Kokoda Trail.
Asani/Mioshi: Perhaps because he cannot bear the guilt of squandering the new life you gave him.
Higgins: l would hardly say that. He's an enormously wealthy and influential man.
Asani/Mioshi: Yes. He has wealth and influence. But he no longer has the soul of a man.
Higgins: You're too harsh. Sato is capable of great understanding and sympathy. l'm living proof of that.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Re:

#60 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:"and the rare shot on the Estate on the balcony)" Not balcony. It's a lanai.
All the upstairs rooms open onto this space and there are no internal hallways whatsoever. This is actually quite unusual even for that style as it requires a temperate enough climate to be practical, which you guys definitely enjoy.
Are the bedroom doors sealed well enough to keep out rain, or does it just not rain sideways in Hawaii like it does here when it storms? Ever since I found out there aren't any internal hallways in that section of the building, I've wondered what keeps the rain from running under the doors into the bedrooms. It would definitely happen here unless you used exterior weather-stripped doors. Any insight on this, Pahonu?
Not only the upstairs bedroom doors, but all the downstairs doors facing the courtyard would have required exterior doors with weather-stripping. That, and they are all pocket doors, which can be notoriously hard to seal, and not just at the bottom. The pocket itself allows drafts around the edge if not properly sealed, and when doors are paired, as in the stair hall, the gap between them must be sealed as well. These doors also don't appear to have bottom tracks, in looking at the floor tiles, so I suspect the upstairs lanai and downstairs colonnade are pitched as a garage floor or deck would be.

All that being said, the home would probably be considered quite drafty if it were in a colder climate. Here, however, cooling the home is the major consideration. Most of the rooms have multiple window or door openings on opposing walls to encourage cooling breezes into the space. Many of the windows and doors also have shutters which would have helped in storms. Some may even have been removed over time and wear. The bedroom doors are fairly deep under the roofline and not oriented toward the sea, so it would take a really strong storm to drive a lot of rain that far in.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#61 Post by brianw »

Two things about this episode. 1) Like those guys are going to believe a beer can hidden under a newspaper is really a gun. And 2) NERDS! NERDS! NERDS!
Last edited by brianw on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

karolis wrote: This scene looked a little bit gay. Two guys rents a room?

:lol: That struck me immediately as well. At least that's what the landlady must have been thinking, especially with their cheesy grins like they were up to something naughty. :D

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Unless I'm mistaken this episode is the first time we see TC's new base of operations for Island Hoppers at Makai Pier in Waimanalo. Prior to this his base was shown to be the Ala Wai heliport in Waikiki (across from the Hilton Hawaiian Rainbow Tower). Can anyone confirm?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by K Hale »

Question. When Magnum goes to get the crate, he is unable to drag it from behind the line over to the van. He later tells Higgins, “There weren’t any books, just her.” She can’t weigh more than 130 pounds. Why was the crate so heavy? And if the crate was supposed to be full of books Higgins had ordered, what happened to them and why wouldn’t he have asked about them?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Nifty911
Captain

#65 Post by Nifty911 »

K Hale wrote:Question. When Magnum goes to get the crate, he is unable to drag it from behind the line over to the van. He later tells Higgins, “There weren’t any books, just her.” She can’t weigh more than 130 pounds. Why was the crate so heavy? And if the crate was supposed to be full of books Higgins had ordered, what happened to them and why wouldn’t he have asked about them?
IF there were books in a crate that size, it would have broken the axle on the van. No way that could be put in that van anyway.