No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 99

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#41 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Kimo,

Glad to hear you enjoy architecture as well. My point was simply that certain terms are applied to specific architectural styles almost regardless of their location. For example, the various Victorian styles used the word hall to describe a large central room around which the more formal public spaces such as parlors, libraries, etc... would connect. This was true from San Francisco to Boston. The term passage would have been used for what we call a hall. Time also plays a major part in the use of this terminology as well. When the Anderson Estate was built in the 30's, for example the architect might have labeled the primary living space as a drawing room rather than living room, and the term family room was unheard of then.

I'm not surprised at all that other homes have open hallways like this. You guys certainly have the weather for it. Here in SoCal today it was 75 degrees and beautifully clear, but I wouldn't want to be roaming around an open hall tonight when it drops to 42!

Speaking of architects, did you ever confirm Pahonu's? Would the Hall of Records have this information or even blueprints?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Pahonu wrote:Would the Hall of Records have this information or even blueprints?
Yeah, Kimo, can you pay Ms. Jones a visit when you have the time? You'll probably have to wait in line and she will more than likely be on the phone with her husband Ray. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Seaver41 »

very nice episode.........enjoyed watching it again all these years later. Not that you couldn't figure the sister was up to something, but the dead giveaway was in guest house where she just cleaned the place and went out of her way to distract/entice Thomas........but then there was that cliche' tactic of focusing in on her expression once Thomas left her..........just like in the Football episode, they made it obvious who the crazed fan would be. This was a common issue of that era of television. Goes hand in hand with the opening credits listing the big guest star of the week that gives away who will be the focal point of the episode.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#44 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

In the beginning of the episode, when the girl gets out of the crate, Magnum says: "OK, son". So he's supposed to be a PI (and a red-blooded heterosexual man) and he can't tell a girl from a boy? :shock:

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Waterbug Blue »

This was the 80s - things were different back then ...
Men were men (BUT they might be wearing pink), AND
Boys sang like girls (Communards/Never can say goodbye), whereas
Girls cold sing like male voices (Tanita Tikaram/Twist in my sobriety)...

So as you can see, it wasn't all THAT easy ;)

akela
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#46 Post by akela »

An excellent episode -- watched it last night again. My question is -- how were Mioshi and her two hired goons able to stay on the Estate for long with the lads on the watch? This is not something I would have wanted to try. Unless they hid in one of the guest rooms upstairs?

Netsrak
Ensign

#47 Post by Netsrak »

Filming location: The apartment building managed by Mrs. Cheever is in Waikiki on the southern corner of Ala Wai Boulevard and Pau Street. The apartment Magnum breaks into is on the Diamond Head side of the building, facing Ala Wai. (From inside the apartment, you can see the lights over the ballfields across the Ala Wai Canal, and you can also see the McCully Street Bridge out the window behind Magnum & TC.)

Look closely in the establishing shot of this location-- 19:14 on the DVD-- and you'll see the Island Hoppers van being driven the wrong way down one-way Pau Street!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: The Eighth Part of the Village (3.4)

#48 Post by marlboro »

I can see that I'm in the minority on this one, but I didn't care for this episode. The plot was fine, but there just seemed to be something "off" about everything else. Tom Selleck played the comedy parts a little too "big" if that makes any sense. Magnum came off looking pretty bad in several scenes in this one. I think the fortune cookie scenes were pretty silly and I think Magnum's scenes with "Asani" early in the episode made him look like a bit of a jerk. He just seemed to be lacking that Magnum charm that glosses over his shortcomings; he made me look at him the same way as Higgins usually does.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#49 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Tuan Vu wrote:In the episode with Sharon Stone, I noticed in the preview showing Magnum and Sharon Stone in the shower, that if you look very closely you see Tom Selleck is wearing shorts. :D
I didnt look that closely :wink:

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#50 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I'm not sure I tended to enjoy the plot of this one too much. Parts of the episode were fairly good, but it overall just didn't seem to come off so well. I can see Magnum wanting to repay favors after a really close call, but if that was the case why was he trying to get them all done at the same time knowing they'd conflict and not allow him to get them done? When Magnum is stabbed in the leg he starts to favor it, but then it seemed by the next scene the only thing wrong was his pants were torn. I also think it was out of character for Magnum to be so dead set against helping the girl at first. He, normally, would be more calm and understanding of the situation. I would've loved to have seen some kind of follow up where Magnum and TC lived in that apartment for a month or someone ended up paying the bill for it at the end. It seemed to get dropped even though they agreed to take it. I also didn't totally understand the central plot. The one daughter DID come over like that (despite Magnum not believing it was really possible) so the other daughter came over a year later in a set up of the same way to trick Higgins? Didn't Sato pick up on the fact that the time frames were way far off base? If the girl was excommunicated then why would he care if she had been kidnapped since she would, culturally speaking, not exist? I'm also not sure of what happened in the alley. The heavies got turned against for such a vauge story of a scam?

I thought the premise of Magnum trying to take responsibility for unpaid favors on his own was great even though it was a minor subplot here. I'm a big fan of Donald Gibb so it was great seeing him in Magnum as a heavy. The twist of the people that broke into the estate having never left it so they could carry out their real mission was really brilliant. It was also nice to see that the limo driver wasn't actually killed in the shoot out at the end.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#51 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

'I do not know this poker'.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by KingKC »

What I remember most is the scene at the warehouse/loading dock when TM picked up the "cargo." Then I remember the last scenes where Higgins and the girls' father interface. What was so wonderfully shown was the honor and respect between two enemies that lasted for 40 years. It was, though, at this point I began to wonder how Higgins was actually supposed to be close to if not slightly over 60 years old and how John Hillerman did not "look" the part. Oh well...that is TV for you.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by K Hale »

IslandHopper wrote:This episode also has a time-line flub involving Higgins. In the scene right after Magnum falls into the water at the dock, the camera cuts to a shot of the estate at night and then Higgins and Mioshi (posing as Asani) having dinner. Higgins is telling her how he and her father met during WWII. Higgins says “It was 1942, Summer, I’d been transferred from the North African campaign to New Guinea and attached to the Australian 7th Division…” He goes on to say that after 6 months his unit stumbled upon Sato and his men. I believe Higgins was supposedly in North Africa in August 1942. In October 1942, Higgins was taking supplies to Chinese Guerillas in the Himalayas (J. Digger Doyle). If Higgins was transferred to New Guinea in the Summer (August) of 1942, and was there with the 7th Division for 6 months before meeting Sato and his men, then he could not have been in the Himalayas in October 1942.
I discount the Himalayas story because he was not in his right mind when telling it. He must have the date wrong and possibly other details too. The New Guinea version would be the correct one.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:What I remember most is the scene at the warehouse/loading dock when TM picked up the "cargo." Then I remember the last scenes where Higgins and the girls' father interface. What was so wonderfully shown was the honor and respect between two enemies that lasted for 40 years. It was, though, at this point I began to wonder how Higgins was actually supposed to be close to if not slightly over 60 years old and how John Hillerman did not "look" the part. Oh well...that is TV for you.

KingKC
He looks much younger than he is because of that ancient Tibetan time portal he passed through on the way up the Himalayas in 1942.

8)
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

#55 Post by karolis »

IslandHopper wrote: This episode also includes a scene which takes place on the balcony of the estate’s main house, which offers a rare look at the grounds below. I may be mistaken, but I don’t recall any other scenes shot from this balcony. This balcony offers a beautiful vantage point, I’m surprised it wasn’t used more. The scene on the balcony takes place right after Magnum and TC search Roy Chambers’ apartment and get interrupted by the apartment manager.
Screenshot:

jno wrote: Having watched this today I spotted that the red Jaguar only has one rear brake light working at the end of the episode as it leaves the estate.
Screenshot:

Netsrak wrote:Filming location: The apartment building managed by Mrs. Cheever is in Waikiki on the southern corner of Ala Wai Boulevard and Pau Street. The apartment Magnum breaks into is on the Diamond Head side of the building, facing Ala Wai. (From inside the apartment, you can see the lights over the ballfields across the Ala Wai Canal, and you can also see the McCully Street Bridge out the window behind Magnum & TC.)

Look closely in the establishing shot of this location-- 19:14 on the DVD-- and you'll see the Island Hoppers van being driven the wrong way down one-way Pau Street!
Screenshots for comparison:

Has anyone spotted Magnum look alike's in this episode?

On the right there:

Another one here:

Poor birds:

The Box with Japanese(?) writings (anybody can translate?):

This scene looked a little bit gay. Two guys rents a room?

Season 3 Top up to this episode:
1-2. Did You See the Sunrise?
3. The Eighth Part of the Village
4. Ki'i's Don't Lie