6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 101

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

One question. The car crash in the beginning. What was the relationship to the rest of the story? Why was Lefevure(SP) driving past the estate? What did it have to do with the story? He couldn't have been trying to kill TM. If he had, then Lyden's plans would have been ruined. Other than his name giving TM a clue (which I don't get either) I can't see a purpose for the scene.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hey N...

Just watched this one the other day, so its kind of fresh in my memory...

Here's my take... I guess this Lefevre guy was supposed to go to Robin's Nest to tell Magnum that Lyden had kidnapped TC and was waiting for him on the beach.

(Now, if someone had showed up at my house saying they kidnapped my friend... not sure how I would have taken that).

Since Lefevure was offed before he had a chance to talk to Magnum, that made him run late.....

Oh, I don't know!

This plot is full of more holes than Swiss cheese. AND, not knowing who Higgins is when the plane first gets hijacked, how does he come to know he's a Sgt Major?

However, the ending scene where eevryone starts gnging up on Magnum is really good

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

Well, we've made fun the helicopter escape plotline; however, it was done this weekend -- for the SECOND time by the same convicts!

Helicopter Prison Break

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#14 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I don't remember much of this episode. My mind is blank for Past Tense...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Well, we've made fun the helicopter escape plotline; however, it was done this weekend -- for the SECOND time by the same convicts!

Helicopter Prison Break

golf
Wow, what a story! Unbelievable. :shock:

And the chopper was commandeered, with the pilot forced to fly to the prison, just like T.C. in this episode! It appears that they timed the "rescue" to when the two convicts were on their daily walk in the courtyard. Were they the only ones in the courtyard? If not, wouldn't you think other convicts (particularly "lifers") would try to get on the chopper? This is what is still so unbelievable about the "Past Tense" scene; The other convicts create a diversion and help shield Lydon onto the chopper (which in itself is a little farfetched), yet none of them also try to escape?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A

#16 Post by N1095A »

Doc Ibold wrote:Hey N...

Just watched this one the other day, so its kind of fresh in my memory...

Here's my take... I guess this Lefevre guy was supposed to go to Robin's Nest to tell Magnum that Lyden had kidnapped TC and was waiting for him on the beach.

(Now, if someone had showed up at my house saying they kidnapped my friend... not sure how I would have taken that).

Since Lefevure was offed before he had a chance to talk to Magnum, that made him run late.....

Oh, I don't know!

This plot is full of more holes than Swiss cheese. AND, not knowing who Higgins is when the plane first gets hijacked, how does he come to know he's a Sgt Major?

However, the ending scene where eevryone starts gnging up on Magnum is really good

I guess you are correct. On the beach Higgins asks Lyden why he thinks TM is coming. Lyden not having any way of knowing Lefevre was killed in a crash replied " I left him a message" . The crash was just an accident. I had been trying to figure out why Lefevre was killed, and what that had to do with the rest of the story. I guess I was looking for something where there was nothing to find.

I should have paid closer attention. :oops:

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by Rutledal »

I don't get all the hate for this episode. This is the episode that got me hooked on Magnum, P.I., I started watching at Ki'i's Don't Lie. I know the plot is a "little" thin, but James Wainwright is great as Lyden and their is plenty of goog Magnum/Tanaka scene. I especialy love the one where Tanaka uses baseball euphemisms.
Magnum92 wrote:I must admit the episode didn't really do that much for me, but the last scene where TC and Magnum are in the tidal pool is a pretty good scene. :)
Wait, what? I can't recall this scene at all. Are you refeering to the tidal pool at Robins Nest?
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#18 Post by Doc Ibold »

Rutledal wrote:I don't get all the hate for this episode. This is the episode that got me hooked on Magnum, P.I., I started watching at Ki'i's Don't Lie. I know the plot is a "little" thin, but James Wainwright is great as Lyden and their is plenty of goog Magnum/Tanaka scene. I especialy love the one where Tanaka uses baseball euphemisms.
Magnum92 wrote:I must admit the episode didn't really do that much for me, but the last scene where TC and Magnum are in the tidal pool is a pretty good scene. :)
Wait, what? I can't recall this scene at all. Are you refeering to the tidal pool at Robins Nest?
I think this might refer to the ending of Black on White

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by Rutledal »

Okay, thanks Doc. I just saw Past Tense on DVD and it certainly didn't end at no tidal pool so was getting a little worried here :D
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

Seems there has been ANOTHER helicopter jail break.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Seems there has been ANOTHER helicopter jail break.
:shock:

from the article you posted golf...
Since 1986, there have been 10 escapes from French jails in helicopters...
:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think the French need to be more aware of helicopters around their prisons!

N1095A

#23 Post by N1095A »

Maybe French prisons should install AA guns. :lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

I saw the same article and immediately thought of Past Tense.

The episode makes no sense from start to finish but I still enjoy it because of the character interaction and sense of adventure.

Was Lefevre coming to the estate to deliver a summons for Magnum to go to Lyden or are we to expect that Lyden arranged to have Lefevre bumped off in front of the estate? :wink:
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#25 Post by Italian Ice »

I don't quite understand the whole story at the end.

I'm assuming that Lyden was stealing weapons and that's why his men were killed because they had nothing to defend themselves with. magnum was sent undercover to investigate. I'm not sure what TM means when he says "they couldn't affored you", and the words around that.

It went by pretty quickly so unless I missed something, this is one the episodes that has me guessing what the entire story is about.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "