1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 134

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Black on White (3.6)

#91 Post by Milton Collins »

This episode is very, very, good! For some reason I wasn't as big a fan in my early years of watching on DVD but now I really really like it. The beginning is just amazingly funny, Higgins quaranteed with Magnum, who seems to be at his absolute worst? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Seeing Ian McShane star as Clutterbuck after his brilliant performance in season 2 was completely enjoyable, and creepy! I love episodes about Higgins past, super interesting even if they do sometimes contradict themselves (he said something about the Baraibi Massacre being over 40 years ago? Wouldn't that put him well into his 60s by now?). I view this as a semi-dark episode and I really like these ones (Death and Taxes, Unfinished Business, etc.) and I wish they would have done more of them including a Halloween episode. The new Hawaii 50 does it every year and I really like them and I think Magnum could have lended to more of these types of episodes. Anyway, a very good episode and I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh when Rick is dressed up as Higgins and gets hit with the Rongo in the head and passes out.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#92 Post by BWheelz54 »

Hey Gang!

I just listened to a podcast produced by the folks at Radiolab concerning British secret documents and the Mau Mau resurrection in Kenya during the late 50s. Listening to this podcast made me immediately think of this Magnum PI episode. I felt the podcast really shed some light on some of the backstory taking place in Black on White, which is one of my favorite Magnum episodes. At the end of the podcast, the show mentions retired officers from British secret service sipping tea and redacting secret documents - which of course made me think of my beloved Higgins. I thought this might interest some of the Magnum fans, so here is a link to this very informative and interesting podcast.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/mau-mau/

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by KingKC »

This was a great Higgins-centric episode for his military background and a little history, to boot. I liked the changing plots for the Higgins-centric episodes as to his school days, his love interests, his half-brothers (particularly Elmo Ziller but not so much Fr. Paddy and Don Luis), his father. The episode was a little dark and slightly frightening but that built up the suspense for the twist of an ending. Definitely deserves the well above average rating of 8.9.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by K Hale »

One of the best of the series. The fake quarantine situation, JQH and TM forced to share a very small living space, the gang conspiring to keep Higgins safe (much to his resentment when he finds out), the Pac Man game, Ian McShane doing his usual amazing work, the scary and suspenseful scenes throughout, Rick disguised as Higgins complete with regimental blazer, the interesting and very sad history, the first appearance of Agatha (as herself anyway), the huge plot twist... it doesn't get any better than this. And I always jump when that spear punches through the door at the beginning, even though I know it's coming! :shock:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by K Hale »

One odd thing about this episode. Near the beginning, at the poetry reading, Agatha asks Higgins if she can come over at seven. He hems and haws and says perhaps tomorrow. Later we find out that he had plans to go to a concert that evening, apparently all by himself. Since she is his "plus-one," don't you think it odd that he was trying to avoid going to this concert with her?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#96 Post by jeffran »

Voted 10 (perfect). One of the great episodes and I wouldn't change anything. It really has everything: the interaction between Magnum and Higgins, Rick and TC (Rick in particular has a few humorous lines), an interesting story where we learn more about Higgins' past (a darker episode in his past), great guest stars in Ian McShane and the woman who plays Bibi. Even Agatha and Doc Ibold make appearances.

If I had to pick just one episode, and thankfully I don't, it would be this one.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#97 Post by J.J. Walters »

Totally agree. One of THE best in the entire series! The perfect episode to show somebody who has never seen the show.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

karolis
Admiral

#98 Post by karolis »

No need to know! wrote:
Derek wrote:Oh, and did I mention she drives a Porsche 924 or 944 :D
It´s a 924 probably from the late 70´s. -79 maybe? Here is a red -79.

My first thought was that it is Porsche 928, but yes - it's 924 (rounded side lights gave it away (somehow they are not present in your photo above)):

Milton Collins wrote: - I love the conversation with Rick over the speaker regarding the steak where he states he wanted to eat it himself. I'm a huge dog lover but c'mon that steak looked pretty darn good:) Loved the back and forth between Higgins and Rick "tough"......"What"....."that was Zeus, he said ruff" and then Higgins replies "funny....that sounded more like Aplolo." Hilarious! And seeing the lads holding the bowl in their mouths as Rick was talking on the intercom was great! And btw, was that intercom ever used before or after? I can't ever remember seeing it in any other episode.

Lads are hungry:

Intercom in this episode:

The intercom was seen in multiple episodes very clearly:

Screenshot from The Jororo Kill (2.13) episode:

Screenshot from Ki'i's Don't Lie (3.03) episode:

Milton Collins wrote:Anyway, a very good episode and I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh when Rick is dressed up as Higgins and gets hit with the Rongo in the head and passes out.
Rick as Higgins:

Higgins facepalm:

Another Higgins facial expression:

I wonder what is that sharp black thing on top-left corner is. Isn't it hidden spear? :D

Coops present: check

Lucky Tommy:

Anyone noticed lipstick on T.C.'s shirt?

Higgins playing Pac-Man:

His facial expressions are so creepy:

Magnum doesn't drive a Ferrari in this episode. In fact - Ferrari isn't even in it (except for a intro, of course)

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. The Eighth Part of the Village
5. Past Tense
6. Ki'i's Don't Lie

It's really hard to decide between "Did You See the Sunrise" and "Black on White". But both of these episodes is the best of the Season Three so far. Both equally great!
Last edited by karolis on Tue May 29, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

You're all crazy! Crazy, I tells you! :x

I dislike this episode so much, I didn't even bother ripping it off DVD to put on my player. The main things that ruin it for me are the actress who plays Bibi, who does an embarrassingly bad accent (and can't even pronounce Kenya properly - a place she's supposed to be from - even though Higgins does it right), the pathetic attempt to show London (some kind of American fantasy of Victorian London), the annoying screeching "Masai warrior music", that Higgins supposedly enjoys listening to (as unlikely as him enjoying country music, from the horrible Let Me Hear the Music episode) and the fact that the intensely annoying Doc Ibold is even in this episode. Isn't he supposed to work in the Emergency Ward? He seems to be there whenever anybody needs any kind of medical attention - including psychiatric. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up if one of the lads had a toothache or an anal cyst.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by Kevster »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:You're all crazy! Crazy, I tells you! :x

I dislike this episode so much, I didn't even bother ripping it off DVD to put on my player. The main things that ruin it for me are the actress who plays Bibi, who does an embarrassingly bad accent (and can't even pronounce Kenya properly - a place she's supposed to be from - even though Higgins does it right), the pathetic attempt to show London (some kind of American fantasy of Victorian London), the annoying screeching "Masai warrior music", that Higgins supposedly enjoys listening to (as unlikely as him enjoying country music, from the horrible Let Me Hear the Music episode) and the fact that the intensely annoying Doc Ibold is even in this episode. Isn't he supposed to work in the Emergency Ward? He seems to be there whenever anybody needs any kind of medical attention - including psychiatric. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up if one of the lads had a toothache or an anal cyst.
Mad Kudu Buck... Sounds more like ANGRY KUDU $0.02 tonight...

Go ahead and let us know how you feel, MKB! :D
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by K Hale »

Wait, so it really is Keen-ya, and not Kin-ya? I guess I've been pronouncing it wrong too...

Just goes to show, always trust Higgie Baby.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#102 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:You're all crazy! Crazy, I tells you! :x

Sorry MKB and K Hale, I don't think it's as simple as that. I asked this question of pronunciation to a friend's daughter a few years back when she was home during a period of political violence preceding a national election. She spent just under two years living there and explained to me there is only some minor disagreement over pronunciation. The British most certainly pronounced it Keenya while holding it as a colony and some older residents still do. However, in Swahili, which she speaks quite fluently, the single e is not a long ee, but short, and pronounced Kenya. Also, after independence, in respect to the "Father of Independence" Jomo Kenyatta, the "Burning Spear", Kenya became widespread as his name is also pronounced that way in his native Kikuyu language.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by K Hale »

So they're both right, considering who each of them is?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#104 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:So they're both right, considering who each of them is?
I think that's accurate. :D

Pahonu

#105 Post by Pahonu »

I think Lynn Moody does a decent job in the part. I don't think I know enough about what her accent should actually be to criticize it. She's not supposed to be British, if I recall. Her accent in English would be based on whatever her character's tribal language was, or Swahili perhaps. I'm imagining the speech of several reporters I've heard like Isha Sesay from CNN, but she's from West Africa not East. I've always thought South African English sounds more like Australian, with all its vowel changes, than RP English. That's probably very different from Kenyan English too!