6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 134

wilko
Captain

#11 Post by wilko »

I really liked this episode, especially since I was a big fan of "Lovejoy" and a nice twist in the story line. The interaction between Magum and Higgins when he learns of the Beribi massacre and Higgins connection to it is touching.

Carmen
MPI

#12 Post by Carmen »

watched this one again last night and my husband noticed 2 "maybe-flubs" 1. Where did Higgins get that black tuxedo. He was dressed different when running into the guesthouse and wasn`t allowed to go out again, cause of the Quarantine sign.
2. When Higgins opens the refridgerator it is filled up with beer, later when Magnum opens again to get a glass of milk it is filled completely different (yeah, I know - but I don`t want to believe he drank it all *G*)
oh and somethink funny to add, Higgins tells Magnum he ate too much different things, like Hotdogs, Popcorn Pretzels and "God knows how many Fig Newtons" - in German they translated Fig Newtons with "Newton Feigen" which just means the figs (botanical) and not the cookie. :o
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I really liked this episode a lot. I did notice that the black lady was driving a Porsche. I wasn't aware that a person could rent a car like that.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by VM02 »

I watched this last night. Great episode. Some of the best Higgins/Magnum moments here.

In the scene toward the end with TM talking about paradise, he alludes he specifically came to Hawaii to get away from the horrors of war.

Is this flub:

When Clutterbuck arrived at the estate to tell Magnum that Higgins life was in danger, (A scene we have described, but don't see) How did he get his spear in? Did he have a really long guitar case with him? Theres a good chance Magnum or Rick helped him with his luggage. Did they not notice a 6' long tubular package and ask "What is this?"

Carmen
MPI

#15 Post by Carmen »

It was in 4 pieces, he just had to screw it together :lol:

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Lily »

This was yet another episode I watched today for the first time, and thought it was excellent. How funny about the spear though, as that certainly would have been detected! LOL at Carmen's comment!!

Carmen
MPI

#17 Post by Carmen »

Lily, after watching Highlander the series so long I never wonder about things like this. There everybody drew a sword out of nowwhere, and in the next scene it dissappeared magically - real dumb.... :P

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Lily »

Perhaps it might have been better if this villain had tried to kill Higgins, by way of a spear which hung in Higgins study!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MPS »

The spear obviously had the same magical properties as the Targa top on the Ferrari. Now you see it, now you don't. :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

VM02
Rear Admiral

#20 Post by VM02 »

Perhaps he used the magic Star Trek Transporter that TM always uses to get to the guesthouse.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#21 Post by Italian Ice »

For some reason I have the urge to play Pac Man, I don't care who gets mad at the noises that game makes. I used to have the Frogger game like that...
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#22 Post by Autumn Warrior »

I just watched this episode. I think it’s excellent. It has most of the features I enjoy about MPI (good plot, relationships, humor, Higgins’ history, scenery, etc.)

It’s a minor detail, but the title seems a little strange. I assume that it refers to race. If so, the purpose was to mislead viewers. That is, the story line had us believe that a Mau Mau (black) was after the Brits (white). The title helped set us up for that distortion.

Is there more to the title than that?
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#23 Post by SelleckLover »

Autumn Warrior wrote:
Is there more to the title than that?
Perhaps knowing a little history will help explain the title. The Mau Mau Uprising of 1952 to 1960 was an insurgency by Kenyan rebels against the British colonialist rule. The core of the resistance was formed by members of the Kikuyu ethnic group, along with smaller numbers of Embu and Meru. The uprising failed militarily, though it may have hastened Kenyan independence. It created a rift between the white colonial community in Kenya and the Home Office in London that set the stage for Kenyan independence in 1963. It is sometimes called the Mau Mau Rebellion or the Mau Mau Revolt, and, in official documents, the Kenya Emergency.

I obtained the above information on Wikipedia. :D

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#24 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I loved this episode! Storyline, Magnum + Higgins relationship, and Pac-Man music! Great ep.

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#25 Post by Autumn Warrior »

SelleckLover, thank you for the brief history of the Mau Mau Uprising. I intended to look into it, but you saved me the trouble. Unlike my “namesake”, I wasn’t there. :)

Do you agree with my conclusion that the title is an attempt to mislead viewers about the situation in 1982 (i.e., three former British soldiers have been killed by methods reminiscent of the Mau Maus)? As it turns out, it was not black on white, it was white on white.[/i]
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.