1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 134

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Black on White (3.6)

#81 Post by 308GUY »

Milton Collins wrote: I want to buy Larry Manettis book but still have a tough time dropping $75 on eBay for a paperback.
Order it from Larry's website, $20, and he'll sign it! :magnum:

http://www.larrymanetti.com/shop.htm

(Ok, I guess the price went up, but it's still less than ebay! Looks like he raised the price a couple bucks, and increased the shipping to the over-inflated shipping charges that just about every place that ships anything have gone to....cheeeese! :x )

It used to be $20, under $25 WITH shipping! Shipping charges have gotten outrageous.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Milton Collins »

308GUY wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: I want to buy Larry Manettis book but still have a tough time dropping $75 on eBay for a paperback.
Order it from Larry's website, $20, and he'll sign it! :magnum:

http://www.larrymanetti.com/shop.htm

(Ok, I guess the price went up, but it's still less than ebay! Looks like he raised the price a couple bucks, and increased the shipping to the over-inflated shipping charges that just about every place that ships anything have gone to....cheeeese! :x )

It used to be $20, under $25 WITH shipping! Shipping charges have gotten outrageous.

Thanks 308Guy I just bought it! And I agree the shipping sucks but well worth $39 to read the inside scoop on my favorite show ever!

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

#83 Post by runawayselleck »

Hi, just to say that the closing scene in Black on White is my favourite of all Magnum PI. Love the scene between Magnum and Higgins where Higgins shows he is excellent at the game and then the great scene and dialogue between Magnum and TC with the great freeze frame of Magnum diving to get away from TC at the end. The humour and chemistry between the stars of that scene was everything that I loved about Magnum PI. ANYWAY! I was watching that very episode with my wife and she noticed that at the moment Magnum is walking into the sea (and TC walks in after him) you can see just how sunburnt Tom Selleck is. His hair chest covers it up a lot but you can see it on his shoulders, proper red! Looks like Selleck forgot the suncream that day.

Runaway Selleck

Derek
Commander

Re:

#84 Post by Derek »

Jodykmg365 wrote:I really liked this episode a lot. I did notice that the black lady was driving a Porsche. I wasn't aware that a person could rent a car like that.
I know it's a bit late to respond to this, as the post was made in 2008 :)
Anyway, I remember the Kenyan lady driving that Porsche and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of car this is. I used to drive a 944 S2, and the one in the episode is either a 924 or a 944. I'm always fond of movies/series that have this sort of car in them :)
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

Derek
Commander

#85 Post by Derek »

Just watched this episode again, it is a very good one IMO, in short: They have managed to blend some of Higgins' history with a thrilling story and a twist. Also, locking TM and JQH in a room with TM behaving like a teenager puts the spotlight on their relationship. Rick and TC are doing a good job, and there is a lovely guest actress. Oh, and did I mention she drives a Porsche 924 or 944 :D

Then there is this surprising ending (Clusterbuck playing the Mau Mau, clearly because he is being plagued by his memories), which leaves the viewer thoughtful. This is never a bad thing.

I'm still undecided which rating to give, but it will be very high. Nine to ten, more precisely, I just still wonder what it takes for an episode to get a ten.

Btb this whole narrative of the Mau Mau taking revenge on the British strongly reminded me of the Statham/De Niro movie "Killer Elite", did anyone watch this one?
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by No need to know! »

Derek wrote:Just watched this episode again, it is a very good one IMO, in short: They have managed to blend some of Higgins' history with a thrilling story and a twist. Also, locking TM and JQH in a room with TM behaving like a teenager puts the spotlight on their relationship. Rick and TC are doing a good job, and there is a lovely guest actress. Oh, and did I mention she drives a Porsche 924 or 944 :D

Then there is this surprising ending (Clusterbuck playing the Mau Mau, clearly because he is being plagued by his memories), which leaves the viewer thoughtful. This is never a bad thing.

I'm still undecided which rating to give, but it will be very high. Nine to ten, more precisely, I just still wonder what it takes for an episode to get a ten.

Btb this whole narrative of the Mau Mau taking revenge on the British strongly reminded me of the Statham/De Niro movie "Killer Elite", did anyone watch this one?
It´s a 924 probably from the late 70´s. -79 maybe? Here is a red -79.

Onion´s extra?

Rocket
Lieutenant

#87 Post by Rocket »

Loved this episode. Great story line and great interaction of the characters. Third episode without the Ferrari.

Turkey
Admiral

#88 Post by Turkey »

One of the best episodes, hands down.

The slow zoom on Higgins' face when he's sitting on the couch is great, and the moment he walks around the corner playing it at the end, classic. This is one of the episodes I never get tired of re-watching :)
Make it two weeks.

Lindenburger
Ensign

#89 Post by Lindenburger »

This is my all time favorite episode. I love the suspense, the moody night scenes, Bebe Kiamonni and the pairing of her and TC (cool couple!), the fact that Higgins is stuck in the guest house with rubber chickens and a brand new TomyTronic Pac-Man, the voodoo theme, and the twist ending. 10/10.

Dr. Ibold played by the late Glenn Cannon might be the most underrated charachter in the series. I really like his presence, cool guy.

Turkey
Admiral

#90 Post by Turkey »

Lindenburger wrote: Dr. Ibold played by the late Glenn Cannon might be the most underrated charachter in the series. I really like his presence, cool guy.
Agreed! His scenes are always ace
Make it two weeks.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Milton Collins »

This episode is very, very, good! For some reason I wasn't as big a fan in my early years of watching on DVD but now I really really like it. The beginning is just amazingly funny, Higgins quaranteed with Magnum, who seems to be at his absolute worst? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Seeing Ian McShane star as Clutterbuck after his brilliant performance in season 2 was completely enjoyable, and creepy! I love episodes about Higgins past, super interesting even if they do sometimes contradict themselves (he said something about the Baraibi Massacre being over 40 years ago? Wouldn't that put him well into his 60s by now?). I view this as a semi-dark episode and I really like these ones (Death and Taxes, Unfinished Business, etc.) and I wish they would have done more of them including a Halloween episode. The new Hawaii 50 does it every year and I really like them and I think Magnum could have lended to more of these types of episodes. Anyway, a very good episode and I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh when Rick is dressed up as Higgins and gets hit with the Rongo in the head and passes out.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#92 Post by BWheelz54 »

Hey Gang!

I just listened to a podcast produced by the folks at Radiolab concerning British secret documents and the Mau Mau resurrection in Kenya during the late 50s. Listening to this podcast made me immediately think of this Magnum PI episode. I felt the podcast really shed some light on some of the backstory taking place in Black on White, which is one of my favorite Magnum episodes. At the end of the podcast, the show mentions retired officers from British secret service sipping tea and redacting secret documents - which of course made me think of my beloved Higgins. I thought this might interest some of the Magnum fans, so here is a link to this very informative and interesting podcast.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/mau-mau/

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by KingKC »

This was a great Higgins-centric episode for his military background and a little history, to boot. I liked the changing plots for the Higgins-centric episodes as to his school days, his love interests, his half-brothers (particularly Elmo Ziller but not so much Fr. Paddy and Don Luis), his father. The episode was a little dark and slightly frightening but that built up the suspense for the twist of an ending. Definitely deserves the well above average rating of 8.9.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by K Hale »

One of the best of the series. The fake quarantine situation, JQH and TM forced to share a very small living space, the gang conspiring to keep Higgins safe (much to his resentment when he finds out), the Pac Man game, Ian McShane doing his usual amazing work, the scary and suspenseful scenes throughout, Rick disguised as Higgins complete with regimental blazer, the interesting and very sad history, the first appearance of Agatha (as herself anyway), the huge plot twist... it doesn't get any better than this. And I always jump when that spear punches through the door at the beginning, even though I know it's coming! :shock:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by K Hale »

One odd thing about this episode. Near the beginning, at the poetry reading, Agatha asks Higgins if she can come over at seven. He hems and haws and says perhaps tomorrow. Later we find out that he had plans to go to a concert that evening, apparently all by himself. Since she is his "plus-one," don't you think it odd that he was trying to avoid going to this concert with her?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!