1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 100

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Flashback (3.7)

#41 Post by terryfromkerry »

Love this episode and TS looks so natural in the '30's wardrobe.

I am confident I spotted an irregularity ( a flub I wonder ). At mark 13:25 as Marion Danforth begins to faint you can see what I believe is the reflection of a camera lense in the window of the car door . The door is being held open by the young Drew Danforth.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#42 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was an odd one, but I liked it overall. Not sure if they figured out how to make the setting make total sense, but they tried.

I was confused as to if they were sticking with it being a dream or something else when they did the cut lip scene. I was also baffled that the 1936 Higgins and Rick knew Magnum, but 1936 TC had no clue whom he was. It struck me as really bizzare. They also never made it clear how Magnum knew about the family secerets enough to dream about them.

I enjoy when TV shows go out of their normal setting on occassion so I liked the idea behind it. It was also nice to see Magnum, apparently, solve an actual paying customer's case.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Milton Collins »

I find this to be a totally fun episode and liked it much better than I had remembered, 8.0 for me. Season 3 is definitely the best in my opinion and this is just another solid episode to prove it.

- Loved the authenticity of all the 1930's stuff. The clothes, the car (awesome!), even the way the did up the club and the other locations, it all just seemed very realistic to what Hawaii would have been in the 1930's.

- The opening argument between Higgins and Magnum was priceless! A great back and forth between the two, highlighed by the BVD's comment and also the reference to "too much rye whiskey can rot the brain" lol. This is a classic example of one of my favorite parts of the show, the love hate relationship between these two!

- Great to see so much TC time! There are times I feel he is underused, I absolutely love TC!

- That helicopter ride to the Danforth cottage was awesome, what great footage!

Overall a very fun episode. I really liked the use of the dream being almost identical to the end reality, other than TC saving TM, thank goodness! A question, have we seen the house used for the Danforth estate before? Not meaning the cottage but the mansion that was directly on the ocean. That place was fantastic!

DDD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by DDD »

The cottage containing Marissa's documents has trees in front. In the 30s those trees had on their trunks "white moss" or fungus or whatever it is. In the 80s the cottage still has those trees out front and the whiteness on the trunks is the same. Does this count as a flub?
DDD,
and Aloha! to all.

Turkey
Admiral

#45 Post by Turkey »

Enjoyed this one a lot - great echo ending too.

I thought they did a fair job of differentiating the cottage for the different time periods and I liked the way they shot the 30s scenes - seemed muted but also over-exposed somehow? Lots of white in the white balance?
Make it two weeks.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Milton Collins »

Watched this again, what a fun episode! Loved how TM stood up for TC when the racist club wouldn't let him in. I feel like this show did a good job of sending really positive messages through events in the episodes, makes me like it all the more! Love the classic 1930's old english D Tigers hat too!

Turkey
Admiral

#47 Post by Turkey »

Yes, awesome hat!
Make it two weeks.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by KingKC »

I remember very little about this episode except TM and TC on the airstrip and TM and TC in a bar. I remember TM passing off TC as Joe Louis but I do not remember a bar fight. Funny, isn't it?

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by K Hale »

This episode is an absolute visual treat. The sets, costumes, cars... everything. I could watch this with the sound off and still enjoy it.

One of the best parts is when Magnum assumes 1930s-TC must be the pilot of the plane he's working on, and TC is offended because he assumes Magnum is mocking him. The look on Magnum's face, where it's obvious it never occurred to him that a black man couldn't be a pilot in the 1930s, is great. The shock and dismay are palpable.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

#50 Post by karolis »

RJMasters wrote:I was watching it yesterday. At the end when Magnum is chased out of the cabin (in the present not the past I believe), there's this awful screeching sound like "mrrrawr". Did one of them step on a cat while they were filming this?
Tuan Vu wrote:Hi, RJMasters.

To answer your question, Drew Danforth almost steps on a cat as he chases Magnum out the back door. You can see the cat scurrying out of the way just in time.
Screenshots:

Jay-Firestorm wrote: * When Magnum falls over the cliff at the end of his ‘dream’, it is quite clearly a dummy falling into the ocean.
Screenshot:

1 As the 1936 Magnum drives into the airfield area to meet the 1936 T.C., when he passes by the first small building, you can see a window unit air conditioner in one of the windowsills. This would have been impossible as window unit air conditioners were not introduced until 1938, and were not widely used until much later! (Noted by Wally)
- from Episode Guide.

Screenshot:

Funny looking T.C.:

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Ki'i's Don't Lie
Last edited by karolis on Tue May 29, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by K Hale »

For some reason, I loved T.C.'s glasses.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ENSHealy »

FLASHBACK
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Body Count: 1 Marisa
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 6

My apologies for being away so long! It's been over two months since I posted my last episode review. Too long! But unlike in Hawaii, it ain't summer all year round here in Wisconsin, so I've been making hay while the sun shines, as they say, busy with outdoor stuff you can't do when the tundra is frozen.

A great episode! So much fun. A few notes and a quibble/flub:

The Asian guy with the two thugs at the bar also appeared as the airport cop in Ugliest Dog and the building security guard in Computer Date.

I believe the Danforth mansion is the same house used in Skin Deep and Woman on the Beach.

When TC and TM land at the cottage in the 30s, the tires make the classic "squeak/squeal/squelch" noise supposedly made when jet tires hit a paved runway. I'm thinking that's not the noise tires make when they touch down on a grass landing strip.

There is a shot in the credits that did not appear in the episode:
ImageImage

And last but not least, without this episode, I wouldn't have been able to do this in 2014 on Halloween:

Unfortunately I failed to invest in an old style Tigers hat, a faux pas I may have to remedy in the future.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MaximRecoil »

At the beginning, when Rick hangs up, Magnum hears a dial tone. Also, his antique phone has a dial on it. This means he has dial service (obviously), which means he would get a dial tone when picking up the handset (the same dial tone he just heard when Rick hung up), not an operator saying, "Number, please." That only happened in places that didn't have dial service. Santa Catalina Island, California was like that until 1978:

https://youtu.be/jitW_yLwihI

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

lutherhgillis wrote: Were there white people in Hawaii before WW2 ?
This made me chuckle. :lol: Sorry, Luther. :wink: Of course there were white people in Hawaii before WWII. After all, we had a major naval base there at Pearl Harbor which was bombed just 5 years after the events in this episode transpired. Hawaii was the territory of the U.S. long before it became a state and of course the white missionaries, as was already mentioned, arrived there in the early 1800s. So yes there were definitely white people there. :)

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:FLASHBACK
Body Count: 1 Marisa
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 6
UPDATE - 3.7 FLASHBACK
Tigers Cap: 2
Body Count:
Shirtless: 1 TC again, and sorta Rick
Little Voice:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 8

Potential magnumania usernames: Joe Louis
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/377698294

Regarding the Island Hoppers shirt color flub:
It looks like they used, in this episode, footage originally shot for Wave Goodbye. The footage is not exactly the same as appears in Wave Goodbye, but it’s clearly in the same location and the pilot is wearing yellow in that scene. You can compare them here: https://vimeo.com/377830149

Questions I Know the Answer to But Insist on Asking Anyway:
Why did Thomas fly to Kahana? If Drew Danforth could drive there (both times!) why couldn’t he?
Why did Thomas call Drew before going to get the papers? Wouldn’t you want to retrieve the papers first, so he can’t beat you to them (or ambush you at the cottage)?
After being shot off the cliff in his dream, why would TM run to the exact same spot in real life?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."