6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by AmandaByNight »

I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!

I like Higgens-centric episodes because Hillerman is just untouchable as an actor. While I love the entire cast, there is something so... I'm not sure there are words for it... he's just amazing and I love when he gets a lot of screen time.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

AmandaByNight wrote:I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!

I like Higgens-centric episodes because Hillerman is just untouchable as an actor. While I love the entire cast, there is something so... I'm not sure there are words for it... he's just amazing and I love when he gets a lot of screen time.
Yeah, I like Nicholas Hammond...interesting actor! He also was one of the VonTrap children (Friedrich) in "Sound of Music" and a lot don't remember that he was the original Spider Man--in the 1977-79 "Amazing Spider Man" TV-series! :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by AmandaByNight »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!

Yeah, I like Nicholas Hammond...interesting actor! He also was one of the VonTrap children (Friedrich) in "Sound of Music" and a lot don't remember that he was the original Spider Man--in the 1977-79 "Amazing Spider Man" TV-series! :wink:
I remember him most from the Spiderman show. But I didn't know about Sound of Music! How did I not know that? I agree, he's had a pretty good career.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

I knew I recognized him from somewhere! I just never bothered to look him up. Wow, The Amazing Spider-Man television series AND the Marica-broke-her-nose Brady Bunch episode! Ha! :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by AmandaByNight »

J.J. Walters wrote:I knew I recognized him from somewhere! I just never bothered to look him up. Wow, The Amazing Spider-Man television series AND the Marica-broke-her-nose Brady Bunch episode! Ha! :)

Doug Simpson is such a jerk. He could have dated Marcia! :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by MaiTaiMan »

AmandaByNight wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:I knew I recognized him from somewhere! I just never bothered to look him up. Wow, The Amazing Spider-Man television series AND the Marica-broke-her-nose Brady Bunch episode! Ha! :)

Doug Simpson is such a jerk. He could have dated Marcia! :)
LOL!! :lol: It's been probably 25 years since I've seen that "Brady Bunch" episode...famous as it is, I did not remember that Hammond was the boy! He looks so much older than Marcia, too. :wink:

As for "The Sound of Music", the late Robert Urich's wife, actress Heather Menzies, was also one of the VonTrap children, along with Hammond. But, other than those two, I don't remember any of the others. :lol: Anyway, Hammond's been in tons of different things, but I for some reason also remember him guest-starring in a "Murder She Wrote" episode once. But, his biggest claims to fame are probably "Sound of Music" and "The Amazing Spider Man" series.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#47 Post by miltontheripper »

I thought this was a very entertaining episode. Good characters and fun to learn of Higgin's past. Pretty hilarious seeing him fence if you ask me.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:I thought this was a very entertaining episode. Good characters and fun to learn of Higgin's past. Pretty hilarious seeing him fence if you ask me.
Exactly!! Episodes that reveal some of the main character's pasts are almost always entertaining and interesting. It was kind of funny seeing Higgins fence...but it was always hilarious watching Higgins try to Judo or Karate chop huge bad guys, fence, fight, etc... :lol:

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#49 Post by timm525 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Surprisingly, when Channel 5 broadcast this episode in 2002, they did not edit out William Troubshaw twice calling Higgins “knob”. Not sure about Stateside, but in the U.K., knob is slang for penis and considered very crude.
Heh! I didn't know that! :shock:

I always assumed that when Troubshaw said "long time old knob", he meant "long time old friend". So, he was calling him "an old penis"? :?

Boy, the show sure didn't hold back on any of the derogatory British slang did it.
I didn't realize the double meaning either. I thought it was more like snob. However the British do seem to have older phrases that either we have updated over the years to mean other things or they have a truly devious way of referring to each other.

Example: On the show Miami Vice, ep. Phil the Shill, starring Phil Collins, Collins is obviously British and he has a line where he calls some one a "tea bag". Well I never gave it any thought but a member on a Miami Vice web site mentioned that the urban dictionary has a pretty vulgar meaning and was wondering if that was what was meant. I don't know for sure. I would thing that the vulgar meaning was rather recent and not used in the 80's but I can't say for sure what terms the British used back then or what their mean is. If you wanna look it up, go for it, but I'm not going to post or link it here.

I also caught the left side/right side flub previously mentioned.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#50 Post by Styles Bitchley »

timm525 wrote:I didn't realize the double meaning either. I thought it was more like snob. However the British do seem to have older phrases that either we have updated over the years to mean other things or they have a truly devious way of referring to each other.
Timm, I think you missed jno's clarification to this...
jno wrote:As an English teacher (and a Brit), I was certain when I watched this that the meaning of the word is definitely "nob" and not "knob" i.e. nob is a slang expression referring to person of wealth or high social position. Admittedly, this is an old-fashioned expression and does feature in other period dramas set in the mid 20th century.

It is only when I read this forum, I felt the need to reply to this. I think the original poster who believes it to be "knob" is probably not so familiar with the old fashioned British public schoolboy speak of yesteryear. It is definitely "nob" and not "knob".

If you look at many British TV shows of that time, the cruder "knob" isn't heard anywhere and this derogatory expression was not commonplace in everyday British English (I would guess and as I remember) until the late 1980s, early 1990s when alternative comedy became more prominent in the UK.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaiTaiMan »

timm525 wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Surprisingly, when Channel 5 broadcast this episode in 2002, they did not edit out William Troubshaw twice calling Higgins “knob”. Not sure about Stateside, but in the U.K., knob is slang for penis and considered very crude.
Heh! I didn't know that! :shock:

I always assumed that when Troubshaw said "long time old knob", he meant "long time old friend". So, he was calling him "an old penis"? :?

Boy, the show sure didn't hold back on any of the derogatory British slang did it.
I didn't realize the double meaning either. I thought it was more like snob. However the British do seem to have older phrases that either we have updated over the years to mean other things or they have a truly devious way of referring to each other.

Example: On the show Miami Vice, ep. Phil the Shill, starring Phil Collins, Collins is obviously British and he has a line where he calls some one a "tea bag". Well I never gave it any thought but a member on a Miami Vice web site mentioned that the urban dictionary has a pretty vulgar meaning and was wondering if that was what was meant. I don't know for sure. I would thing that the vulgar meaning was rather recent and not used in the 80's but I can't say for sure what terms the British used back then or what their mean is. If you wanna look it up, go for it, but I'm not going to post or link it here.

I also caught the left side/right side flub previously mentioned.
LOL! :lol: Actually, Timm, the vulgar phrase today is I think "Tea Bagging;" him/her. It's not calling the person a tea bag...but more the action done towards them. :shock: It is vulgar enough that I won't explain it here. :wink:

Love the "MV" episode "Phil the Shill"--one of my favorites! I'm sure with it being the 80's, and a British meaning, it was something else and not the vulgar thing of today's American perverted slang.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, pro wrestling fans... This is Don "The Rock" Muraco, right? It sure looks like him.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#53 Post by rubber chicken »

The pictures in google images sure look like him, especially this one. I think you're right James. I love little touches like this. I guess they actually took the time to plan ahead and then fly him out, just for a little bit of screen time and with no lines for him to say. That's a sign of a quality show. The creators really cared about what they were doing. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:The pictures in google images sure look like him, especially this one. I think you're right James. I love little touches like this. I guess they actually took the time to plan ahead and then fly him out, just for a little bit of screen time and with no lines for him to say. That's a sign of a quality show. The creators really cared about what they were doing. :)
In reading up on "Da Rock", I see that Don Muraco is a local Hawaiian brudda! Hails from Sunset Beach! He probably was just chillin' on the North Shore when he heard that Magnum was filming at the Waialua Sugar Mill. He probably just walked down there. LOL!

I was never a huge pro wrestling fan, but I used to watch it occasionally in the 80s. I totally remember Don Muraco in one of the WrestleMania's. I believe he was then known as "The Magnificent" Don Muraco. He was pretty big in the WWE for a while. Local Hawaiian wrestler makes good. :)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#55 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, very interesting! Who knows, maybe when he was on the island he really did work at the sugar mill. ;)