6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's very interesting that the subtitles have "nob", not "knob"!

To make things even more interesting (or confusing, whatever the case may be), it appears that the (British) slang pronunciation for both "knob" and "nob" is the same! I would have thought "nob" would have been pronounced "noh-buh" (like the Old Testament "Job").

Seems like that would make for some tricky conversations! "No, no, I meant nob, not knob!" :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#32 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This was a fairly good episode, especially at the end when Magnum figures out that the son or the wife didn't commit the murder. I don't remember their names.

jno
Captain

#33 Post by jno »

As an English teacher (and a Brit), I was certain when I watched this that the meaning of the word is definitely "nob" and not "knob" i.e. nob is a slang expression referring to person of wealth or high social position. Admittedly, this is an old-fashioned expression and does feature in other period dramas set in the mid 20th century.

It is only when I read this forum, I felt the need to reply to this. I think the original poster who believes it to be "knob" is probably not so familiar with the old fashioned British public schoolboy speak of yesteryear. It is definitely "nob" and not "knob".

If you look at many British TV shows of that time, the cruder "knob" isn't heard anywhere and this derogatory expression was not commonplace in everyday British English (I would guess and as I remember) until the late 1980s, early 1990s when alternative comedy became more prominent in the UK.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

FWIW, found this:

'nob' is a mid-18 C. locution derived from 'nobleman', giving rise also to 'nobbish' and 'nobbily' (i.e. aristocratically). 'Nob' is pretty much a synonym for 'toff', and even today some working-class Londoners and others refer disparagingly to 'the nobs' or 'the toffs' who attend socially prestigious events such as Royal Ascot (horse racing) or Henley Regatta (a series of boat races).

This was always my understanding of the use in this MPI context.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Sam »

I watched this episode last night and found a dialogue flub.
When Troubshaw enters for the tournament he says "I hear you asked for the left position" to Higgins.
Later on the beach when TM and Rick are playing liars poker.Rick says "A lot of people heard Higgins ask for the right side,why?"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MACattack »

Maybe Rick wasn't paying attention. He makes mistakes now and then.
I just don't give a damn!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by robspace54 »

Saw this episode yesterday and liked it. They never properly explained how such a large current got into the foil (that is WHO plugged it into 220V) and why no one noticed.

But it was another side of the Magnum / Higgins friendship and was nice to see that develop.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#38 Post by All About the Stache »

I liked this one, mostly because it heavily involved Higgins, and his relationship with Magnum was explored further in this episode. I love the chemistry between these two and this episode had some great scenes with them, both funny and serious.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

nha trang
Vice Admiral

One of the worst I've seen yet

#39 Post by nha trang »

I watched this episode last night, and I can hardly even remember anything to review...Again, maybe I get confused because I watch the syndication on TV sometimes as well as going episode by episode on my DVD, but the fact that it has the wrong "Carol" somehow also screws things up for me. Also, the wife of Higgin's alleged rival/victim was also in an earlier episode as the famous actress... :roll:

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is a very good "Higgins episode"! His interesting past with Velma Troubshaw (Dana Wynter) was a "juicy" piece of his past to learn, and I thought John Hillerman and Dana Wynter gave awesome performances.

However, Dana Wynter must have liked playing women who make poor choices for husbands when guest starring on "Magnum"...as she was the actress who actually did kill her jerky husband in an earlier episode "Double Jeopardy", from 2nd season. :P To me it was too soon for wynter to guest star again...as it kind of made me laugh :lol: . I kept thinking...first Magnum wanted her, now Higgins does! :shock:

Also, the character of D.A. Carol Baldwin makes her first appearance...except, it's not Kathleen Lloyd! :shock: This blonde actress (Patty McCormack) was okay--but Lloyd really captured this character later on, and to me is the real Carol.

Anyway, good plot twists, and the idea of Higgins being accused of murder and Magnum has to prove his innocence was original and entertaining! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by AmandaByNight »

I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!

I like Higgens-centric episodes because Hillerman is just untouchable as an actor. While I love the entire cast, there is something so... I'm not sure there are words for it... he's just amazing and I love when he gets a lot of screen time.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

AmandaByNight wrote:I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!

I like Higgens-centric episodes because Hillerman is just untouchable as an actor. While I love the entire cast, there is something so... I'm not sure there are words for it... he's just amazing and I love when he gets a lot of screen time.
Yeah, I like Nicholas Hammond...interesting actor! He also was one of the VonTrap children (Friedrich) in "Sound of Music" and a lot don't remember that he was the original Spider Man--in the 1977-79 "Amazing Spider Man" TV-series! :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by AmandaByNight »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!

Yeah, I like Nicholas Hammond...interesting actor! He also was one of the VonTrap children (Friedrich) in "Sound of Music" and a lot don't remember that he was the original Spider Man--in the 1977-79 "Amazing Spider Man" TV-series! :wink:
I remember him most from the Spiderman show. But I didn't know about Sound of Music! How did I not know that? I agree, he's had a pretty good career.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

I knew I recognized him from somewhere! I just never bothered to look him up. Wow, The Amazing Spider-Man television series AND the Marica-broke-her-nose Brady Bunch episode! Ha! :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by AmandaByNight »

J.J. Walters wrote:I knew I recognized him from somewhere! I just never bothered to look him up. Wow, The Amazing Spider-Man television series AND the Marica-broke-her-nose Brady Bunch episode! Ha! :)

Doug Simpson is such a jerk. He could have dated Marcia! :)