No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Foiled Again (3.8)

#71 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:Some of the posts im reading are questioning why Tom Selleck incorporated the Detroit Tigers into Thomas Magnum. I understand that it is a bit odd for a guy from Virginia to love a sports team in Michigan, but I do have to ask (respectfully of course) is it really that hard to figure out? Selleck is from Detroit and has been and is a lifelong Tigers fan and many actors sometimes incorporate little pieces of their personality into a recurring role they play. Just a thought and no offense meant to anyone:)
Not at all, and don't see why anyone would. I think there's tons of little homages - Rick's love of the Cubs when he seems to alternate between NYC and Chicago as a place of origin. (larry is from Chi-town). TC had caps from like every Sports team in the USA towards the end of the run (which I assume paid tribute to REMs sports friends). I even think Elmo/Texan Higgins was a wink within a wink because it's so off character for Higgins, while JH is actually from texas

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by KingKC »

This episode was one of the best Higgins-centric episodes as we find out more about him personally rather than his military/MI-6 career. It made him more normal and I almost did not like TM making any fun of him. Surprisingly I completely missed Patty McCormack as Carol Baldwin and picked up on Kathleen Lloyd as Carol Baldwin immediately. Don't ask me why but I liked Kathleen Lloyd considerably better. McCormack just did not fit as a prosecutor in my book. Lloyd did. Good show overall. Definitely an 8 or above!!

KingKC

darca2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#73 Post by darca2 »

I just watched this last night and wondered about Higgin's foil. If his foil was used in a murder wouldn't the police have taken it as evidence - and not let him take it home and donate it to a charity?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:I wonder why Higgins didn't get involved with the woman in the end since they were clearly in love with each other. I guess having a Mrs Higgins would change the premise of the show too radically.
Well, she did frame him for a murder he didn't commit, which probably extinguished any sputtering torch he might have still been carrying for her.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

#75 Post by karolis »

I wonder what kind of watch Higgins has?

Magnum's injured finger:

Better quality photo of Old Sugar Mill:

Obvious Magnum's double:

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Ki'i's Don't Lie
8. Foiled Again
Last edited by karolis on Tue May 29, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#76 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

eltonsean wrote:Image
"He was arrogant, and cold, and he brutalized my mother".
Every time I see this guy in one of the many 70's TV shows he's been in, that's all I can think of: "...and he brutalized my mother."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by ENSHealy »

FOILED AGAIN
Hawaiian shirts: 1 purple calla lilly
Island Hopper shirts: 1 yellow on green
Body Count: 1
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: 2 black eye in sugar mill fight, busted up finger from tackling Pee Wees.
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations: 1 bottle of wine to leave Higgins alone
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 9

Very good episode. I'm shocked that nobody has yet pointed out that Higgins takes his turn in the chest hair parade with this episode! When he's practicing for the fencing match, his warmup jacket is zipped down to a Magnum-like level.

Seeing the grey chest hair peeking out makes me think I'd have a much easier time pulling off Higgins at Halloween then busting out the Just for Men to get the right shade under my jungle birds...but I digress.

Anyone else think Keeler gave up too easy at the end? He says "enough, enough" and Magnum just takes his word for it and goes about worrying about his finger. Anybody really facing murder one would have taken that chance and run. But I guess they were out of time and needed to wrap things up.

The plaid shorts TM is wearing when he tries to sneak past Higgins to get to the wine cellar are giving the UDT's a run for their money for shortest short-shorts of the series, especially when TM engages in a game of pocket pool while he's chatting with Higgins.

It says in the episode guide that Higgins was in the Calcutta jail in 1958. How do we know the date, Higgins does not give a date or event reference when he brings up the jail time?

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS:

Higgins: Actually, I've been in jaiIs that make this Iook Iike summer camp. I once spent aImost a month in a three-by-six ceII outside CaIcutta. Three-quarters of my daiIy rice ration of rice went to the legion of rats that occupied the ceII with me. A strangeIy symbiotic reIationship, nevertheIess...
Magnum: Higgins, shut up.

Magnum: I know what you're thinking. That was kind of a quick jump in logic. But sometimes you just gotta go with a hunch. On the other hand it's sometimes wise to think things out. Oh, I could have called the police or Carol. Of course, that would have been easy. The only thing was, I didn't have any hard evidence so I had to hope that Keeler would listen to reason. Except the higher and higher I got the less and less I was convinced that that would be the case and the more and more convinced I became that this was the dumbest move I'd made in quite a long time.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote: Very good episode. I'm shocked that nobody has yet pointed out that Higgins takes his turn in the chest hair parade with this episode! When he's practicing for the fencing match, his warmup jacket is zipped down to a Magnum-like level.

Seeing the grey chest hair peeking out makes me think I'd have a much easier time pulling off Higgins at Halloween then busting out the Just for Men to get the right shade under my jungle birds...but I digress.
Also, I think this is the last time we see that red and white track suit, first seen in "Computer Date." I would come to miss it...

And this must be the worst chance Magnum ever took at sneaking into the wine cellar, with Higgins standing right there. Judging by this pic alone, he is absolutely within Higgins' peripheral vision and would have been seen (though perhaps ignored, given the ensuing conversation) even if the lads had not been present. Come on Thomas, how desperate are you for expensive wine??
Higgins: Actually, I've been in jaiIs that make this Iook Iike summer camp. I once spent aImost a month in a three-by-six ceII outside CaIcutta. Three-quarters of my daiIy rice ration of rice went to the legion of rats that occupied the ceII with me. A strangeIy symbiotic reIationship, nevertheIess...
How do you take this? At first I thought he was saying he used the rice to bait and catch the rats so he would have something more than rice to eat, and that was what he meant by "symbiotic," i.e. some of them got the rice and he got the protein by eating them, but then I thought he just meant he was using the rice to make friends with them. I really think this might go either way, and perhaps was intended to be taken either way?
Magnum: I know what you're thinking. That was kind of a quick jump in logic. But sometimes you just gotta go with a hunch. On the other hand it's sometimes wise to think things out. Oh, I could have called the police or Carol. Of course, that would have been easy. The only thing was, I didn't have any hard evidence so I had to hope that Keeler would listen to reason. Except the higher and higher I got the less and less I was convinced that that would be the case and the more and more convinced I became that this was the dumbest move I'd made in quite a long time.
It was 100% a dumb move, and unconscionable that neither TC nor Rick would help him, given the situation Higgins was in. Come on, guys... step up.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:
How do you take this? At first I thought he was saying he used the rice to bait and catch the rats so he would have something more than rice to eat, and that was what he meant by "symbiotic," i.e. some of them got the rice and he got the protein by eating them, but then I thought he just meant he was using the rice to make friends with them. I really think this might go either way, and perhaps was intended to be taken either way?
I never even considered Higgins baiting and eating rats. Have you ever tried catching, killing, skinning and eating a raw uncooked rat in a Calcutta prison cell? Well.. actually I haven't either - but I imagine it wouldn't be very feasible.

I always thought he just made them his friends so he could have somebody to talk to. Rats are excellent listeners... excellent.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:
I never even considered Higgins baiting and eating rats. Have you ever tried catching, killing, skinning and eating a raw uncooked rat in a Calcutta prison cell? Well.. actually I haven't either - but I imagine it wouldn't be very feasible.

I always thought he just made them his friends so he could have somebody to talk to. Rats are excellent listeners... excellent.
Desperate people will do desperate things. If a rat was eating 3/4 of his available food, which was probably not enough to begin with, he could be pretty desperate. But perhaps he only meant they were pals.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#81 Post by brianw »

The first Carol Baldwin was smokin' hot! And funny to see Don "the rock" Muraco in this one too.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by K Hale »

Waialua Sugar Mill is currently on fire. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/03/ ... ugar-mill/
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:Waialua Sugar Mill is currently on fire. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/03/ ... ugar-mill/
I guess you can kiss another kahuna's ass good bye.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Chris109 »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
Is he sure they were rats and not...

brianw
Rear Admiral

#85 Post by brianw »

Again..... the original Carol was a hottie.... and I remember her from The Ropers!