5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaiTaiMan »

timm525 wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Surprisingly, when Channel 5 broadcast this episode in 2002, they did not edit out William Troubshaw twice calling Higgins “knob”. Not sure about Stateside, but in the U.K., knob is slang for penis and considered very crude.
Heh! I didn't know that! :shock:

I always assumed that when Troubshaw said "long time old knob", he meant "long time old friend". So, he was calling him "an old penis"? :?

Boy, the show sure didn't hold back on any of the derogatory British slang did it.
I didn't realize the double meaning either. I thought it was more like snob. However the British do seem to have older phrases that either we have updated over the years to mean other things or they have a truly devious way of referring to each other.

Example: On the show Miami Vice, ep. Phil the Shill, starring Phil Collins, Collins is obviously British and he has a line where he calls some one a "tea bag". Well I never gave it any thought but a member on a Miami Vice web site mentioned that the urban dictionary has a pretty vulgar meaning and was wondering if that was what was meant. I don't know for sure. I would thing that the vulgar meaning was rather recent and not used in the 80's but I can't say for sure what terms the British used back then or what their mean is. If you wanna look it up, go for it, but I'm not going to post or link it here.

I also caught the left side/right side flub previously mentioned.
LOL! :lol: Actually, Timm, the vulgar phrase today is I think "Tea Bagging;" him/her. It's not calling the person a tea bag...but more the action done towards them. :shock: It is vulgar enough that I won't explain it here. :wink:

Love the "MV" episode "Phil the Shill"--one of my favorites! I'm sure with it being the 80's, and a British meaning, it was something else and not the vulgar thing of today's American perverted slang.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, pro wrestling fans... This is Don "The Rock" Muraco, right? It sure looks like him.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#53 Post by rubber chicken »

The pictures in google images sure look like him, especially this one. I think you're right James. I love little touches like this. I guess they actually took the time to plan ahead and then fly him out, just for a little bit of screen time and with no lines for him to say. That's a sign of a quality show. The creators really cared about what they were doing. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:The pictures in google images sure look like him, especially this one. I think you're right James. I love little touches like this. I guess they actually took the time to plan ahead and then fly him out, just for a little bit of screen time and with no lines for him to say. That's a sign of a quality show. The creators really cared about what they were doing. :)
In reading up on "Da Rock", I see that Don Muraco is a local Hawaiian brudda! Hails from Sunset Beach! He probably was just chillin' on the North Shore when he heard that Magnum was filming at the Waialua Sugar Mill. He probably just walked down there. LOL!

I was never a huge pro wrestling fan, but I used to watch it occasionally in the 80s. I totally remember Don Muraco in one of the WrestleMania's. I believe he was then known as "The Magnificent" Don Muraco. He was pretty big in the WWE for a while. Local Hawaiian wrestler makes good. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#55 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, very interesting! Who knows, maybe when he was on the island he really did work at the sugar mill. ;)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Seaver41 »

Tuan Vu wrote:I really like this episode because it is about friendship, honor and sacrifice for others even if it means harm to yourself. Both Magnum and Higgins show exceptional character and integrity in this episode.

The only thing I did not like about the episode was that T.C. and Rick thought that Higgins "offed" Troubshaw. I can understand their suspicion, considering the circumstantial evidence against Higgins, but I thought it was out of character for them to not try to find evidence to exonerate Higgins.

By the way, the statement "You're looking well. Well fed, that is," was made by Troubshaw to Higgins. Higgins did not say that to Magnum. :D
well, he did do him in.........I didn't take it as any strong conviction of opinion on their part.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Seaver41 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:The pictures in google images sure look like him, especially this one. I think you're right James. I love little touches like this. I guess they actually took the time to plan ahead and then fly him out, just for a little bit of screen time and with no lines for him to say. That's a sign of a quality show. The creators really cared about what they were doing. :)
In reading up on "Da Rock", I see that Don Muraco is a local Hawaiian brudda! Hails from Sunset Beach! He probably was just chillin' on the North Shore when he heard that Magnum was filming at the Waialua Sugar Mill. He probably just walked down there. LOL!

I was never a huge pro wrestling fan, but I used to watch it occasionally in the 80s. I totally remember Don Muraco in one of the WrestleMania's. I believe he was then known as "The Magnificent" Don Muraco. He was pretty big in the WWE for a while. Local Hawaiian wrestler makes good. :)
Ah yes...The Magnificent Muraco.......quite the character back in the WWF, before it became the WWE. Ironically, it was The Rock's dad....Rocky Johnson who had some great battles with Muraco.

Good episode, but a little predictable. The bad guy was a classic bad guy/thug of that era of tv....so he stood out. Poor accent by Spiderman.

Is it me or was Higgins some romantic roadkill? Guy gets run over by this chick and his Lady from season 2.

Scene at end made no sense........where was his gun? that was poor writing to fit the end.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Season 3 is on a roll. Three perfect episodes in a row!!

Not much to be said about this one that hasn't already been said. This is probably the best of the Higgins-centric episodes. To see Higgins truly distraught and without his usual flippant remarks was very refreshing. To see Magnum really trying to help Higgins out was great! Dana Wynter was perfect casting as Higgy's old flame - those two had great chemistry. Also Paxton Whitehead as her husband was a real ass! Perfect acting by Paxton. Shame he was "offed" so soon.

All in all just a top-notch episode!!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Foiled Again (3.8)

#59 Post by Stelth »

If only Patty McCormack could have remained Carol for the entire series.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by charybdis1966 »

Stelth wrote:If only Patty McCormack could have remained Carol for the entire series.
Hear, hear.

I've skipped certain Carol centric episodes after this one just to avoid the woman with grey pubes for a hair do.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Stelth »

charybdis1966 wrote:
Stelth wrote:If only Patty McCormack could have remained Carol for the entire series.
Hear, heat.

I've skipped certain Carol centric episodes after this one just to avoid the woman with grey pubes for a hair do.
I wish posts had a "like" button...you've earned quite a few.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by charybdis1966 »

Stelth wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:
Hear, heat.

I wish posts had a "like" button...you've earned quite a few.
Cheers fellah, you have too.

artie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by artie »

Watching this episode again and noticed that Magnum needs help to tie the double "Winslow" knot on Higgins tie he borrowed... however, I remember recently watching Magnum ask Rick, ''are you sure you want to use a Windsor knot with that tie?''. I want to say it happened in a previous episode but I have recently traveled and loaded my phone with Magnum episodes to watch so I may be mistaken. Does anyone recall the Rick tie episode??

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:Image

Anyone know where this is located?
I've been there before when I was growing up in Honolulu...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#65 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

As soon as the "business associate" was introduced I knew he would be relevant to the plot. Why would thy have him introduced to Higgins otherwise? I also noticed he shook hands with his left hand despite not appearing to be a fencer.

I wonder why Higgins didn't get involved with the woman in the end since they were clearly in love with each other. I guess having a Mrs Higgins would change the premise of the show too radically.