5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Foiled Again (3.8)

#61 Post by Stelth »

charybdis1966 wrote:
Stelth wrote:If only Patty McCormack could have remained Carol for the entire series.
Hear, heat.

I've skipped certain Carol centric episodes after this one just to avoid the woman with grey pubes for a hair do.
I wish posts had a "like" button...you've earned quite a few.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by charybdis1966 »

Stelth wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:
Stelth wrote:If only Patty McCormack could have remained Carol for the entire series.
Hear, heat.

I've skipped certain Carol centric episodes after this one just to avoid the woman with grey pubes for a hair do.
I wish posts had a "like" button...you've earned quite a few.
Cheers fellah, you have too.

artie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by artie »

Watching this episode again and noticed that Magnum needs help to tie the double "Winslow" knot on Higgins tie he borrowed... however, I remember recently watching Magnum ask Rick, ''are you sure you want to use a Windsor knot with that tie?''. I want to say it happened in a previous episode but I have recently traveled and loaded my phone with Magnum episodes to watch so I may be mistaken. Does anyone recall the Rick tie episode??

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:Image

Anyone know where this is located?
I've been there before when I was growing up in Honolulu...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#65 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

As soon as the "business associate" was introduced I knew he would be relevant to the plot. Why would thy have him introduced to Higgins otherwise? I also noticed he shook hands with his left hand despite not appearing to be a fencer.

I wonder why Higgins didn't get involved with the woman in the end since they were clearly in love with each other. I guess having a Mrs Higgins would change the premise of the show too radically.

Turkey
Admiral

#66 Post by Turkey »

Just re-watched this and really enjoyed it, but am curious about 'Liar's Poker' - anyone played it? Are they using serial numbers on the bills?
(yeah, I could google it but I'd rather talk to you guys)
Make it two weeks.

eltonsean
Captain

Re:

#67 Post by eltonsean »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I also like this episode quite a bit. I love the guest stars, especially Nicholas Hammond who plays the son because he was Doug Simpson in the infamous "Ow, my nose," episode of the Brady Bunch!
Yeah, I like Nicholas Hammond...interesting actor! He also was one of the VonTrap children (Friedrich) in "Sound of Music" and a lot don't remember that he was the original Spider Man--in the 1977-79 "Amazing Spider Man" TV-series! :wink:
I was fortunate enough to meet Nicholas Hammond while I was working as a musician on a cruise ship. We were doing to Hawaii run from san diego and Nicholas Hammond was a passenger. We hung out quite a bit and he even sat in with my band and sang "Edelweiss" from the Sound Of Music. Of course all I wanted to do is talk to him about "Magnum", haha. Needless to say, it was a very special cruise for me :D
"He was arrogant, and cold, and he brutalized my mother". One of my favorite deliveries of a line by a guest star on Magnum!

Here's a pic of us together. Image
Last edited by eltonsean on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Living well is the best revenge".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by 308GUY »

Very cool!

Great picture and story.

Sure wish we had a "thumbsup" smiley.....hint-hint... :wink:

I know maybe it's "corny" to say so, but Edelweiss is one of my all time favorite pieces. Keep in mind, one of the bands I was in was nicknamed the "Little Beatles" at the battle of the bands in Cleveland in 1965 (we were 14-15 at the time) and we made it to the finals! The original James Gang was there at the same time, to give you an idea of some of the competition. Also, the Buckinghams (Don't You Care, etc.) anyway, I also like the Planets by Holst, particularly "Mars". Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, just saying I like most types of music that are DONE WELL, and the song Edelweiss is certainly in that category. It comes across as being an old Austrian folk song or something, but to my understanding, was in fact written for the story.

Like I said before, you must have some interesting stories/experiences to relay given your vocation.

Thanks for sharing. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eltonsean
Captain

#69 Post by eltonsean »

308GUY wrote:Very cool!

Great picture and story.

Sure wish we had a "thumbsup" smiley.....hint-hint... :wink:

Thanks for sharing. :magnum:
My pleasure. It's nice to have a community that appreciates my Magnum experiences :magnum:
"Living well is the best revenge".

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Milton Collins »

Some of the posts im reading are questioning why Tom Selleck incorporated the Detroit Tigers into Thomas Magnum. I understand that it is a bit odd for a guy from Virginia to love a sports team in Michigan, but I do have to ask (respectfully of course) is it really that hard to figure out? Selleck is from Detroit and has been and is a lifelong Tigers fan and many actors sometimes incorporate little pieces of their personality into a recurring role they play. Just a thought and no offense meant to anyone:)

I think this is a fun episode. I always enjoy a look into Higgy Baby's past and this is a very good one. Schoolyard bully, love lost (again! ie: The Lady Ashley!) and a confrontation/fencing duel? Totally fun in my book. I think Magnum is extremely funny in this episode as well. From his poking fun at Higgin's beanie in the beginning to his fight at the sugar mill where he holds up his broken figure to ward of his attacker (hilarious!) he just cracks me up. And the original Carol siting was humorous as well. I enjoy the character regardless of this "Pseudo Carol" or the brunette version played by Kathleen Lloyd but to be honest this one seemed more fitting for Magnum to me. Just my opinion:)

I totally enjoy this one and another solid episode from season 3, my personal favorite season.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#71 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:Some of the posts im reading are questioning why Tom Selleck incorporated the Detroit Tigers into Thomas Magnum. I understand that it is a bit odd for a guy from Virginia to love a sports team in Michigan, but I do have to ask (respectfully of course) is it really that hard to figure out? Selleck is from Detroit and has been and is a lifelong Tigers fan and many actors sometimes incorporate little pieces of their personality into a recurring role they play. Just a thought and no offense meant to anyone:)
Not at all, and don't see why anyone would. I think there's tons of little homages - Rick's love of the Cubs when he seems to alternate between NYC and Chicago as a place of origin. (larry is from Chi-town). TC had caps from like every Sports team in the USA towards the end of the run (which I assume paid tribute to REMs sports friends). I even think Elmo/Texan Higgins was a wink within a wink because it's so off character for Higgins, while JH is actually from texas

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by KingKC »

This episode was one of the best Higgins-centric episodes as we find out more about him personally rather than his military/MI-6 career. It made him more normal and I almost did not like TM making any fun of him. Surprisingly I completely missed Patty McCormack as Carol Baldwin and picked up on Kathleen Lloyd as Carol Baldwin immediately. Don't ask me why but I liked Kathleen Lloyd considerably better. McCormack just did not fit as a prosecutor in my book. Lloyd did. Good show overall. Definitely an 8 or above!!

KingKC

darca2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#73 Post by darca2 »

I just watched this last night and wondered about Higgin's foil. If his foil was used in a murder wouldn't the police have taken it as evidence - and not let him take it home and donate it to a charity?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:I wonder why Higgins didn't get involved with the woman in the end since they were clearly in love with each other. I guess having a Mrs Higgins would change the premise of the show too radically.
Well, she did frame him for a murder he didn't commit, which probably extinguished any sputtering torch he might have still been carrying for her.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

#75 Post by karolis »

I wonder what kind of watch Higgins has?

Magnum's injured finger:

Better quality photo of Old Sugar Mill:

Obvious Magnum's double:

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Ki'i's Don't Lie
8. Foiled Again
Last edited by karolis on Tue May 29, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.