No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 101

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Big Blow (3.22)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Big Blow (3.22). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 4/7/1983
Robin Masters spring equinox party is threatened by bad weather, a young guest about to give birth, and two greedy ex-cons.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

This ensemble episode echoes the classic 1948 film Key Largo and is unique for two reasons: It takes place entirely inside the main house of the estate and there's no narration from Magnum at any point in the story. Robin Masters also makes an appearance at the end, sans his face of course. ;)

It's a good episode and a nice change of pace from most plot lines. It still feels like a slight let down, however. This setup (a bunch of people held hostage at the estate during a storm) could have been so much better with a beefed up script. Still, it's enjoyable.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

This is not one of my absolute favorite episodes, but I seem to enjoy this episode more each time I watch it. There seemed to be a lot of overacting in this episode by some of the characters, such as the Princess and TC when he tells the Prince that he is a private investigator hired by Robin Masters. TC does this overacting bit a lot, in many different episodes. I wonder if that is something he does on his own, or if the various directors have him do that. I like TC's character, but I've always found that kind of annoying. I didn't really care for Magnum's hero worship of Duke Davis either.

The first flub I noticed occurs when the bad guy, Randy, goes down to the wine cellar and discovers Higgins trying to call for help on the radio. As Higgins is walking up the steps, Randy shoots the radio with a double barreled shotgun. Granted, he probably only used one barrel since he had previously shot the barrel of wine with the other barrel. After the shot, the camera cuts to a close-up of the radio, smoking, with a big hole in it from the shotgun blast. Directly in front of the radio, and just a few inches from the hole created by the shotgun is the radio-mike, and a candle in a glass candle holder, again, just inches from the smoking hole in the radio. The flub is that a shotgun even using only one barrel would have blown the radio, mike and candle/glass holder to bits. At the very least, the blast would have at least knocked them off the table, or caused them to be knocked askew. However, after the blast, the mike, candle and glass candle holder are in perfect condition and undisturbed.

A possible flub involves the timing of the hurricane (Hurricane Kaukauna). Higgins mentions that the event he is hosting is Robin's "Spring Equinox" party, which means that this was supposed to be held around March 20th or 21st. Hurricane season doesn't start until around May 15th and ends at the end of November. So, Hurricane Kaukauna is about 2 months early.

This is one of the episodes along with "J. Digger Doyle," "Birdman of Budapest" and "Squeeze Play" which I think really negates the possibility of Higgins being Robin Masters for a variety of reasons. One such reason is that after Candice attempts to shoot Robin, she reveals that her hatred for Robin goes back to 1957. In 1957, Higgins was still in the British Army, and it would have been unlikely that he would have been in the position to hire an actor to portray Robin Masters. Antoher reason is that Higgins was not even aware Robin was at the estate. Only Magnum knew. If Higgins was really Robin Masters, he would have obviously known this.

The voice on the radio with Higgins sounds like James Grant Benton, Kika, from several episodes. Does anyone know if this is him? I didn't see any credits listed at the end of the episode.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:This is not one of my absolute favorite episodes, but I seem to enjoy this episode more each time I watch it. There seemed to be a lot of overacting in this episode by some of the characters, such as the Princess and TC when he tells the Prince that he is a private investigator hired by Robin Masters. TC does this overacting bit a lot, in many different episodes. I wonder if that is something he does on his own, or if the various directors have him do that. I like TC's character, but I've always found that kind of annoying. I didn't really care for Magnum's hero worship of Duke Davis either.
Hey IH,

This is one of my favorite episodes. I think the TC overacting bit is along the same lines of him not drinking, its just an aspect of the character. I mean, R.E.M. can OBVIOUSLY act, but maybe it's the fact that TC cannot.

The Duke Davis infatuation was a little over the top, I agree.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:This is not one of my absolute favorite episodes, but I seem to enjoy this episode more each time I watch it. There seemed to be a lot of overacting in this episode by some of the characters, such as the Princess and TC when he tells the Prince that he is a private investigator hired by Robin Masters. TC does this overacting bit a lot, in many different episodes. I wonder if that is something he does on his own, or if the various directors have him do that. I like TC's character, but I've always found that kind of annoying. I didn't really care for Magnum's hero worship of Duke Davis either.
Hey IH,

I think the TC overacting bit is along the same lines of him not drinking, its just an aspect of the character. I mean, R.E.M. can OBVIOUSLY act, but maybe it's the fact that TC cannot.
Well said Doc. I agree with you that the way some of the lines are delivered is just a part of the character. TC's acting ability, not REM's. Good analogy too.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

IH, love the shotgun blast flub! Regarding the hurricane in March, I'm tempted to call it a flub, but it's technically possible. Tropical Storm Sarah hit the islands in January of '71, one of only two major storms to hit the islands in Jan.-May.

And hey, why wouldn't Magnum be infatuated with Duke? The guy hit .326 w/ 34 HR, 116 RBI and 45 SB ... and he won the Gold Glove! If somebody like that was in my house, I'd be following him around, too! ;)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

That wasn't just any old ordinary shotgun! It was from Robin Masters' gun collection, so who knows? -- maybe it's a special tight-cluster shotgun. It made a pretty small (for a shotgun) hole in the wine cask, as well.

TC & Rick's early arrival puzzles me. They were supposed to fly in the next day. They could *not* have flown a helicopter during that weather, so they must have driven. But why? They just happened to be out in that howling storm, just happened to be on "the North Shore," and their car broke down right next to the criminals' van?

I was going to say and how did they get in the gate, but was that before or after the generator conked out? If it was after, it makes sense, because a properly-designed security system would fail in the "unlocked" mode (otherwise, anyone inside would be trapped).
Carol

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I loved this epidode. Wanda made me laugh, as did Randy. He was a bad guy with a sense of humor. "You've got no place to go, no way to get there, and a real mean head wind." :lol:

However, I did think it was funny to have Higgins call this party the event of the season, and only 5 people are invited. Higgins poetry readings get a bigger crowd. :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK,

This being one of my "guilty pleasure episodes", I'm going to have to call some flubs.

1) When the Prince and Princess show up, they think Magnum is Higgins. When they actually DO meet Higgins, the Prince needs to ask Higgins if he IS Higgins. Now, that being said, Higgins says to Magnum that he knows the guests are as familiar with him as they are with Robin. Now, if the Prince and Princess are "fixtures at all of Robins parties", wouldn't they know Higgins?

(Now, granted, this could have been the FIRST Summer Equinox party, but it sounded like there had been there before)

2) When we see the shot of the hand pulling the gun out of the suitcase, it is a different gun than what we see Magnum taking away from Candace after she shoots "Robin"

Takers anyone?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:OK,

This being one of my "guilty pleasure episodes", I'm going to have to call some flubs.

1) When the Prince and Princess show up, they think Magnum is Higgins. When they actually DO meet Higgins, the Prince needs to ask Higgins if he IS Higgins. Now, that being said, Higgins says to Magnum that he knows the guests are as familiar with him as they are with Robin. Now, if the Prince and Princess are "fixtures at all of Robins parties", wouldn't they know Higgins?

(Now, granted, this could have been the FIRST Summer Equinox party, but it sounded like there had been there before)

2) When we see the shot of the hand pulling the gun out of the suitcase, it is a different gun than what we see Magnum taking away from Candace after she shoots "Robin"

Takers anyone?
Doc,

I haven't seen the episode in a while, but your second flub is very common for MPI, so I have no doubt that you are right. I believe they add these shots in post production with different actors, i.e., Adelaide picking up the gun in the stable; Magnum cocking his .45 in attempt to return fire while at the stables (among other shots) also in "Adelaide."Another funny one that we mentioned in the "Paper War" thread is of Higgins in the elevator with Magnum where he is seen in a close up trying to release the lever and trying to pull the elevator doors apart. This doesnt' seem to have been done in post production, but seems more like Higgins' stunt double. I always wondered who Higgins' stunt double was during those shots. It looks more like George "The Animal" Steele.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:OK,

Takers anyone?
Doc,

I haven't seen the episode in a while, but your second flub is very common for MPI, so I have no doubt that you are right. I believe they add these shots in post production with different actors, i.e., Adelaide picking up the gun in the stable; Magnum cocking his .45 in attempt to return fire while at the stables (among other shots) also in "Adelaide."Another funny one that we mentioned in the "Paper War" thread is of Higgins in the elevator with Magnum where he is seen in a close up trying to release the lever and trying to pull the elevator doors apart. This doesnt' seem to have been done in post production, but seems more like Higgins' stunt double. I always wondered who Higgins' stunt double was during those shots. It looks more like George "The Animal" Steele.
HA!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

A fellow fan emailed this to me recently. I hadn't noticed it before in the episode. I find it to be quite amusing:
Dante D. wrote:- The first guest, Mr. MacPherson, arrives at the estate and after talking to him, Higgins opens the gate to let him in. About 15 seconds later, Mr. MacPherson is already knocking on the front door totally dry. Is it possible to drive from the front gate in a storm and arrive at the front door dry?

- The Martine's arrive next, but it takes them about 45 seconds to get to the door. They're dry also, but at least they have an umbrella.

- After the gate is open for him and about a minute later, Duke Davis gets to the door. He's soaked, but he also has an umbrella. Did it start raining harder in the last few minutes? Did he have to walk farther from where he parked and in getting into the front door?
:)

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GTS »

Does anyone know if the pregnant lady is Melinda Culea aka Amy Allen from the A Team?

This episode was made in 1983 so just about the time the A Team started out but Melinda had long hair at first.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

Nope,

Definitely not her!

(Too short.. and I know it isnt her)

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GTS »

Thanks Doc

She's very simlair in some ways but I guess I see the differences now. Melinda was a babe...!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"