It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 30%  30%  [ 24 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 24%  24%  [ 19 ]
7.5 (Decent) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:18 am 
Lieutenant

I thought this episode was pretty funny, but I didn't love it. Gave it a "Pretty good" rating. Ernest Borgnine was a nice touch as the special guest star, he's always great to watch.

Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 pm 
World Class Private Investigator

Great to see Ernie last night. He's the best. 94 years old and could still kick your a*s, but he's much too nice a guy to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 pm 
Vice Admiral

Not one of my favorite episodes, but finding out Higgins nickname makes it worthwhile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 am 
Fleet Admiral

This was an "okay" episode, I guess...nothing major or memorable, but decent none-the-less. Good, poignant ending between father and son. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm 
Fleet Admiral

always liked this episode.........love the ending and that goose pimple line from Magnum......'....not today"

Borgnine is amazing. He's been around a long time. I loved his character on the Poseidon Adventure. The man has an Oscar as well. Truly a legend that Father Time says won't be around a whole lot longer.

One thing.....go back and look at that fight in the back room of the wrestling place........you can see the body doubles of both Selleck and Roger from the front.....clear facial shots. So many tv shows of the 70's and 80's did a poor job of disguising the body doubles....Magnum P.I. was no exception early on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 pm 
Commander

Great episode; One of series 3's best.

Borgnine is a legend. I have a signed copy of his autobiography. Must read that soon; I've had it for yonks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm 
Lieutenant

A top 20 episode I think. I was going to give it an 8.5 but the father son reunion at the airport, plus the ending with TM negotiating with "Punky" and the "not today line", put it over the top so I gave it a 9. Loved it! Maybe I shoulda given it a 9.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 pm 
Commander

Watched this one again. Definately a classic episode IMO. I can't remember what I rated it, but it deserves at least 9 if not 9.5.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:14 pm 
Lieutenant

Ernest Borgnine elevates this to an above-average episode. I can't imagine any other actor pulling this off; he brings instant credibility and likeability to the role.

There are some classic funny moments at the expense of Higgins... and I thought for sure his nickname was going to be "Puddinhead!" And also Rick, who gets punched in the face multiple times (ouch). It's actually pretty funny.

Pro wrestling was a popular "sport" entertainment in Hawaii in the 60s-70s, so a wrestling-themed episode was appropriate if not expected. I was never a big fan myself, but I remember evenings as a kid watching my grandmother yell at the tv. I believe she truly thought they could hear her too. It was great seeing Lord "Tally Ho" Blears in a cameo as the referee. He was a wrestling icon in Hawaii.

Linda Ryan (Cora the secretary) once again plays the villainess (The Big Blow). Always a treat to see her. Margie Impert makes her first appearance as Miss Jones, the Hall of Records Clerk. She does a phone bit with her cheating boyfriend Ray that is too funny.

This episode is also worth watching for the flubs. Magnum's sudden and inexplicable change of clothes at 28 min is a great catch. It's not clear whether it's the same day or the next day and Magnum's dialog only confuses things. The woman looking out from the office window is another good catch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:18 pm 
Founding Father

Lovin' the episode review Sinjin. They are well-written and insightful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next