6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 101

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:3. The scene where Earl is showing TC the "Tazmanian Tiger Dance" you can tell that the guy on Earl's shoulders is Bob Minor (TC's stunt double), not only by his face, but also by the belt worn by Bob Minor, which is a darker brown than the belt worn by TC (Roger Mosley).

4. You can also tell that the guy being twirled around on Earl's shoulders (Earl's stunt double) is not Rick, but his stunt double. Rick is wearing black boots with large heels (as you will see in upcoming scenes with Earl and TC after Magnum arrives back at the estate a few minutes later), however, the guy on Earl's shoulders is wearing what looks like black sneakers with a flat rubber soles which are a different color, have a distinctive tread, and heel-less. You will also notice the sole of the stunt double's shoes when the stunt double falls face first after being dropped by Earl.
Rutledal wrote:Also a "2 for the price of 1" flub. In the scene when Earl has Magnum in the death grip "for real", and T.C. and Rick comes to help. Well when he throws Rick over his head Earl, seen from behind at this point, loses his hat. Clearly revealing a stunt double with much darker hair than Borgnine. That's the first flub. The second ocurs seconds later when the shot changes and Earl's hat is where it used to be, prior to falling of.
Jay-Firestorm wrote:* When Earl is showing T.C. and Rick various wrestling moves, and carrying each in turn on his shoulder, it is quite clearly a double for him in several shots. (But there is a shot of him picking up Rick where it is actually him!)

* …In the same scene, when Rick falls to the ground, it is clearly a double.
This episode sure does have it ALL! I love the "Tazmanian Tiger Dance" scene on the estate lawn. Pure fun. Truthfully, I'm kind of surprise Borgnine didn't lift up Mosley (but he did lift up Manetti), even at his age. He's the very definition of "tough" and "old school". The stunt man that they used to do the actual "Tiger Dance" looked to be about the same age as Borgnine.

Older Stunt Man w/ Bob Minor (Mosley's stunt double & stand-in)

Bob Minor is a big guy. Impressive that this guy was able to "Tiger Dance" him around and then flip him!

Borgnine lifting Manetti

Older Stunt Man flipping Manetti's stunt double

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by robspace54 »

The switch from Borgnine to stunt actor in the lifts is so lame. At least they could have lightened Bob Minor's hair to match Borgnine. Sheesh!

Ernest Borgnine plays his typical 'loveable tough-guy' character to a T. I'll bet they had a lot of fun on and off set.

The stack of pineapple boxes at the airport looks just like the one we got ours from the summer of '83 after our first Oahu trip. Took me back a bit!

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#33 Post by Pahonu »

J.J. Walters wrote:Ah, yes. I forgot about the pool table that was seen in the Pilot Movie! And you are right, that is the inside of the real Anderson Estate main house.
James,

I don't think this is an actual interior from the Anderson Estate. Nothing looks remotely like the detailing of the rest of the house. It doesn't have the terracotta tile floors and stairs, the windows don't match (double hung and bottle glass), and the house only has one main staircase as seen many times in Hawaii Five-0. This room with the pool table is also shown later as Magnum, Higgins and Alice Cook walk through it to the kitchen. It is shown to have a series of arched windows or doors on the wall opposite the staircase. These don't match the Anderson Estate either.

I also don't think the kitchen shown at the end of that scene is from the actual estate. The Hawaii Five-0 episode "Sweet Terror", I believe, shows the actual estate kitchen and the two don't match at all. I have no idea where they were shot, and I agree they were probably not sets used so briefly in the pilot episode, but they really don't seem to be from the Anderson Estate. After all, it has been stated that Higgin's den in the pilot was shot at the Marks Estate. Could this be as well?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I don't think we ever really knew for sure. We just sort of assumed it was the Anderson Estate. It made sense given the fact that several Hawaii Five-0 were filmed there. But detailed comparisons were not done.... until now!

Based on what you've just said, it certainly doesn't appear to be the Anderson Estate. In fact, I know it's not. Nobody knows more about the inside of the Anderson Estate buildings than you Pahonu (except for maybe rubber chicken)! If you say it's not, I believe it. :)

So, if it's not the Anderson Estate, it's more than likely the Marks Estate (as you've said). They probably filmed ALL of the indoor scenes of the main house there for the Pilot.

Interesting! Thanks Pahonu!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#35 Post by rubber chicken »

Yeah, that was written two years ago. Very outdated, and before all the research on this site was done. I had since realized that wasn't the case.

If the den in Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii was indeed at the Marks Estate, as Rick Romer said, then I'm confident the pool table and kitchen were as well.

To be very brief about it, the den is seen in the background during a shot of the pool table room. The kitchen door frame is in the same style as another door that may or may not have led into the pool room, but beside the door is the same wallpaper as the pool room. Romer also said they didn't use many sets for the pilot, so I think we can rule out any trickery for these scenes.

Pahonu

#36 Post by Pahonu »

For many years I had thought these rooms didn't quite fit with the estate detailing, but I thought you might have some information proving otherwise, like Rick Romer's blog. I honestly haven't had time to work my way completely through his blog. I've probably missed some useful information about the estate.

James, I noticed you changed the corresponding information on the estate page. I was thinking that if you include the gate house garage shot in "The Kona Winds" episode on your list of interior filming locations, it would make sense to also have the main house garage shot at the beginning of "The Eighth Part of the Village" episode. Technically, of course, neither of these are an enclosed space just like the balconies and boathouse lanai are not, but the information is interesting.

I suppose the boathouse storage area is the only fully interior space used for filming on the entire estate! Still, it is a little dissappointing knowing they never showed even a single shot of the inside of the main house in eight years of filming. This would seem to concur with an earlier coment that Ms Anderson restricted access to the interior of the home. I guess Hawaii Five-O episodes will be are only real source of new information.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#37 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, thanks RC and Pahonu! :)

I've added in "The Eighth Part of the Village" to the 'Robin's Nest' page, and I've updated/corrected several other pages that had incorrectly mentioned the Anderson Estate as the filming location for the "Pilot Movie". I think I've corrected everything, but there may be a page or two out there that still needs attention. There are so many pages now on the site. It's hard for me to keep track of everything! ;)

Ms. Anderson appears to have just completely restricted access to the main house after Hawaii Five-0 ended. It's understandable though. After ten or so times, I'd be pretty tired of film crews stomping through my house, too!

Pahonu, I'm finally going to have some time this week to check out your latest update to the Anderson Estate Google Sketchup file. Sorry its taken me so long to get around to it.

Pahonu

#38 Post by Pahonu »

James, you did miss one reference right on the estate page, at the bottom of the main house section in parentheses. Hope you enjoy the model. You might want to update "The Kona Winds" link to the model of the gate house while your at it. I might even have a slightly more updated model to send you. I don't remember now.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#39 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Typical of me! :)

I've updated the 'Robin's Nest' page and the "Kona Winds" gatehouse sketchup link.

Had a chance to briefly look at your latest update Pahonu. VERY nice work, as usual! The estate looks absolutely perfect! What fun it is to explore the estate as a 3D model!

I like this view:

You even have the rarely seen tennis court wall! :)

Pahonu

#40 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks for the compliment. It sure would look better with all the foliage, but it's such a pain, and still lacking in realism.

By the way, I finally had a chance to go through much of Rick Romer's blog. Very interesting stuff. I particularly liked the detail about how Eve Anderson's grandparents initially had to arrive by boat to "winter" there because the Kalanianaole Highway didn't reach that side of the island in the 30's. Did anyone else catch that? That would probably explain the now missing dock seen in photos of the estate in early Hawaii Five-O episodes. Now I wonder if the dock was once part of the property. Perhaps, the estate was larger then? Fun to put the puzzle pieces together.

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#41 Post by All About the Stache »

I thought this episode was pretty funny, but I didn't love it. Gave it a "Pretty good" rating. Ernest Borgnine was a nice touch as the special guest star, he's always great to watch.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Ernest Borgnine, SAG Lifetime achievement award.

#42 Post by N1095A »

Great to see Ernie last night. He's the best. 94 years old and could still kick your a*s, but he's much too nice a guy to do so.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#43 Post by miltontheripper »

Not one of my favorite episodes, but finding out Higgins nickname makes it worthwhile!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This was an "okay" episode, I guess...nothing major or memorable, but decent none-the-less. Good, poignant ending between father and son. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

always liked this episode.........love the ending and that goose pimple line from Magnum......'....not today"

Borgnine is amazing. He's been around a long time. I loved his character on the Poseidon Adventure. The man has an Oscar as well. Truly a legend that Father Time says won't be around a whole lot longer.

One thing.....go back and look at that fight in the back room of the wrestling place........you can see the body doubles of both Selleck and Roger from the front.....clear facial shots. So many tv shows of the 70's and 80's did a poor job of disguising the body doubles....Magnum P.I. was no exception early on.