6%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 95

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Seaver41 »

lutherhgillis wrote:Si, Doc. I agree.

Hey, isn't Arte Johnson the guy from Laugh In that wore the army helmet and said 'very inter-esting' ?

I just do not think that even with a knife that Arte Johnson posed a threat to anyone. Ginger should have stuff him into a locker... Didn't he have a pocket knife at that? That Kenny Phelps guy must have been some more of a wus to get killed by the little guy...

Did anyone notice Phelps move after TM finds him dead?
The teenage tennis player and her mom deserve the b*$@% award for the season. They were unsufferable.
he wasn't dead.....just out cold and you see him slowly coming around. The giveaway is you don't see Magnum check for vitals. Name in closing credits is Nels Van Patten....son of Dick Van Patten....and if memory serves me right, Nels was once an aspiring tennis player that never quite made it so he was well cast as Kenny.

Not a great episode, but in watching it again, the episode is worth it alone for the Higgins/TC exchange. You either hear Higgins tell TC to stop calling him Higgy baby or he simply doesn't acknowledge it, but when he straightens up, shoulders back, chest out and says "TC baby, it ain't over til it's over"........it has to be one of his top 3 classic lines if not the best.

Kim Richards looked gooood back in the day (I'm a sucker for 2 things on a woman-long hair and um, uh, oh hell...chesticles). Now she is a train wreck. Somebody posted she looked like Demi Moore.....I have to agree there is some similarity as if they could be related (but aren't to my knowledge).

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Steve »

Seaver41 wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:Si, Doc. I agree.

Hey, isn't Arte Johnson the guy from Laugh In that wore the army helmet and said 'very inter-esting' ?

I just do not think that even with a knife that Arte Johnson posed a threat to anyone. Ginger should have stuff him into a locker... Didn't he have a pocket knife at that? That Kenny Phelps guy must have been some more of a wus to get killed by the little guy...

Did anyone notice Phelps move after TM finds him dead?
The teenage tennis player and her mom deserve the b*$@% award for the season. They were unsufferable.
he wasn't dead.....just out cold and you see him slowly coming around. The giveaway is you don't see Magnum check for vitals. Name in closing credits is Nels Van Patten....son of Dick Van Patten....and if memory serves me right, Nels was once an aspiring tennis player that never quite made it so he was well cast as Kenny.

Not a great episode, but in watching it again, the episode is worth it alone for the Higgins/TC exchange. You either hear Higgins tell TC to stop calling him Higgy baby or he simply doesn't acknowledge it, but when he straightens up, shoulders back, chest out and says "TC baby, it ain't over til it's over"........it has to be one of his top 3 classic lines if not the best.

Kim Richards looked gooood back in the day (I'm a sucker for 2 things on a woman-long hair and um, uh, oh hell...chesticles). Now she is a train wreck. Somebody posted she looked like Demi Moore.....I have to agree there is some similarity as if they could be related (but aren't to my knowledge).
You are correct about him being a tennis player, actually both he and his brother Vince were Pro's for a while............I don't think Kim is related to Demi Moore but one of her sister's is Kathy Richard's, the mother of (uugh) Paris Hilton.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver41 wrote:Kim Richards looked gooood back in the day (I'm a sucker for 2 things on a woman-long hair and um, uh, oh hell...chesticles).
Well then, this is the episode for you! None of the female guest stars in this episode, and I mean none, wear a brassiere! Not even on the tennis court! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Seaver41 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:Kim Richards looked gooood back in the day (I'm a sucker for 2 things on a woman-long hair and um, uh, oh hell...chesticles).
Well then, this is the episode for you! None of the female guest stars in this episode, and I mean none, wear a brassiere! Not even on the tennis court! :shock:
I may have noticed that.......maybe. :wink:

Bes
Commander

#55 Post by Bes »

Mediocre episode; a few funny bits almost redeem it.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Sisophous »

How times and perceptions change.

I rated this episode as just 2 stars after first viewing it. I now rate it as a solid 4 stars. Some of these episodes are very slow to get going and this episode is one of them.

It focuses almost entirely on the tennis theme and does not have a lot of action with gunfire and chase scenes. I think this is what turns a lot of members off.

What really struck me upon viewing it a second or third time, are the interactions between the main cast in this series. Simply put, they are hilarious. The main cast is what make this series work and they are all featured on this episode.

The disrespectful teenage girl is also a great highlight as she infuriates Magnum.

One thing that left me clueless was the final scene in the final seconds. Magnum says goodbye to his friend, the aging tennis star. It was like a goodbye to someone who is dying or who you will never come into contact again. I could not make sense of this final footage. Perhaps someone knows what the director was trying to convey to us, I missed it.

Any feedback is welcome. It is annoying when you are left hanging in the final scene in any film. Why did Magnum say "goodbye" to his old friend after she had turned her back on him and walked away?

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#57 Post by .45caliber »

I agree while not full of action, this episode is full of laughs and great interaction between our favorite characters. I think TM says goodbye at the end because he feels a finality to there chance at a relationship. Up until this point of the series I've not seen Magnum so head over heels for someone, except Michelle of course. I think he was totally crazy about her since they first met as teens and he would've given up everything to be with her.
But she was more in love with her tennis career with no intention of giving it up. I think TM excepted it in the final scene and felt it was time to let go and move on, without regrets and having to wonder what if?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Sisophous »

You may have hit it right .45 caliber. Yes, Magnum seemed to be crazy for this girl but I thought her career was coming to an end. At some point she was referred to as an "aging star".

The goodbye at the end felt like Magnum was saying goodbye to a terminally ill person, like Mad Buck Gibson from Season 2 when he was about to launch the Hang Glider at the conclusion.

I think the script writers were trying to make it a somewhat emotional moment for Magnum after all the laughs from earlier on.

It was one of the more odd moments that made me wonder what it was intended to convey.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by MaximRecoil »

Seeing all those old tennis rackets brought back memories. I recognized the aluminum Prince Pro (the racket Rick and Carrie were using) and the aluminum Head Director (the racket Magnum was using) immediately.

Back in 1984 my older brother (13 years old at the time) saved his money from mowing lawns all summer to buy a Prince Pro. It cost him $60 I believe, which was a lot of money back then, especially for a kid. However, he was getting it at a discount because our father worked for Bass Shoe and:
In 1978, Bass was bought by Chesebrough-Pond's Inc. of Connecticut, which also produces Prince tennis rackets, Vaseline and Ragu spaghetti sauce
I think its regular price was something like $90. It was their most expensive aluminum racket. After that was the Prince Graphite ($200 someodd I think) and then the outrageously expensive Prince Boron ($400).

I remember the Head Director because Ed Walker and Marty Keaveny, the two best tennis players in our small town, used one. Ed was older, in his mid or late 30s, and usually won our local tennis tournament each year. Marty was the top ranked player on our high school tennis team (my brother eventually became the top ranked player when he was a senior).

The tennis ability of the girls in this episode was laughable. With that level of "talent", they would be playing second-string doubles on most any high school tennis team (and that's only if they were hard up for players). Selleck looked like first-string singles material though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#60 Post by J.J. Walters »

Heh, I remember those Prince and Head racquets too.
MaximRecoil wrote:The tennis ability of the girls in this episode was laughable. With that level of "talent", they would be playing second-string doubles on most any high school tennis team (and that's only if they were hard up for players). Selleck looked like first-string singles material though.
"Like a rusty gate swinging in the wind..."

It's funny, in that opening scene, Kim Richards "skies" almost every ball she makes contact with.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#61 Post by Doc Ibold »

She was a better tennis player than a diver. I will admit, I watched the celeb diving show. Atrocious.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mixed Doubles (3.10)

#62 Post by Sisophous »

This episode is quite funny but also idiotic. I can relate to the annoying tennis girl theme in this episode. Back in the day, I recall a number of real attitudes from some women tennis players who would scold me for just watching them play at beach clubs. I guess their unforced errors were too much for them so they had to take it out on the boy who was just a spectator. Something about tennis and female attitudes back in the 70s and 80s that are unlike any other sport, the producers must have had the same thoughts as me.

I thought Kim Richards did an excellent job in this role and is by far one of the more attractive guests in this series. I believe she is just age 17 when this was shot. It first aired when she was age 18.

I read her writeup on Wikipedia which is interesting, focus on her personal life section: What a gold digger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Richards

I put together the most entertaining clips from this episode and they include in this order....

1. Spastic tennis player hits nearly every ball but one off the court. Is there an editor in the house?
2. Higgins serves an atomic blast which Magnum can't handle and he is out for the count.
3. Temper Tantrum from the Teen
4. Rick gets combative, then romantic after making fun of the girls accent.
5. Teen hogs the court and annoys Magnum.

After turning on your speakers/audio, open the video link below, select 480p quality and the middle size video is best.

http://youtu.be/Y2sk2tlCxFc

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Mixed Doubles (3.10)

#63 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

It's Sisophous vs The Women again.

Anyway, I don't get the hate for this episode. Apart from the laughable tennis technique by all actors but Selleck, I think it's a fairly entertaining episode, and it reveals another aspect of Magnum's past.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Doc Fred wrote:So agreed with those who laugh at the "pro" tennis players' abilities in the film. And also with Orville's "technique"..

This had one of the best endings in the series: Higgins: "T.C. Baby, it ain't over 'til it's over."
Hillerman lapses back into his native accent when he says that.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Re:

#65 Post by Doc Ibold »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:So agreed with those who laugh at the "pro" tennis players' abilities in the film. And also with Orville's "technique"..

This had one of the best endings in the series: Higgins: "T.C. Baby, it ain't over 'til it's over."
Hillerman lapses back into his native accent when he says that.
Good point!