6.0 (Pretty Bad)
6%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 95

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by lutherhgillis »

I used to hate this episode but then I remembered the ...no that wasn't good but there was the ... no, that wasn't good either. How about the ... no, that also wasn't good. I still hate this episode...

One question. Why didn't Ginger just pick up Mickey Rooney and stuff him into a locker?
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by Rutledal »

I think it was due to some business with him having a knife.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#33 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:I used to hate this episode but then I remembered the ...no that wasn't good but there was the ... no, that wasn't good either. How about the ... no, that also wasn't good. I still hate this episode...

One question. Why didn't Ginger just pick up Mickey Rooney and stuff him into a locker?
You don't mess with Doctor Klopek.

:wink:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by lutherhgillis »

Si, Doc. I agree.

Hey, isn't Arte Johnson the guy from Laugh In that wore the army helmet and said 'very inter-esting' ?

I just do not think that even with a knife that Arte Johnson posed a threat to anyone. Ginger should have stuff him into a locker... Didn't he have a pocket knife at that? That Kenny Phelps guy must have been some more of a wus to get killed by the little guy...

Did anyone notice Phelps move after TM finds him dead?

The teenage tennis player and her mom deserve the b*$@% award for the season. They were unsufferable.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:You don't mess with Doctor Klopek. :wink:
LOL!! :lol:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#36 Post by N1095A »

Doc Ibold wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:I used to hate this episode but then I remembered the ...no that wasn't good but there was the ... no, that wasn't good either. How about the ... no, that also wasn't good. I still hate this episode...

You don't mess with Doctor Klopek.

:wink:
Sardines anyone?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Friday’s second review. Oh dear, this is a pretty bad ep – I was glad to get this one out of the way!

[rating=5.5 (I had to go for 6 on the poll!)]

Magnum is practicing for an upcoming pro-am tennis tournament, when Robin Masters asks him to protect a bratty young champ who is being terrorised – and an old flame of Magnum’s becomes the prime suspect. This boring ep is the weakest of the season…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

Oh dear. After such a likable episode as ‘Mr. White Death’, and following on from a strong run of episodes in general, comes this terrible story, which takes the title of worst episode of the third season in my book.

It must be something about the “assigned to protect bratty young whatever champs” that I don’t like – in the second season’s ‘The Sixth Position’, Magnum had to look after a snobby ballerina, and I didn’t care for that episode very much. Here, he has to contend with a tennis champ, and I like this episode even less.

Kim Richards (Carrie) is pretty, and can do the whole bratty thing well enough I suppose, but in such a bad episode to begin with that’s not saying much.
The idea that Carrie is a “brand” was quite interesting and in many ways ahead of it’s time – think how many “branded” sports and entertainment stars we have nowadays – but the whole thing was handled badly and doesn't really go anywhere.

Henry Gibson is a strange casting choice as Ronald Mills; Gibson would have been perfect in one of the series’ more comedy-based stories, but cast here just felt somewhat bizarre to me.

Magnum’s history with old flame Ginger is reasonably fleshed out, but didn’t extend much beyond the standard “love interest of the week” for me.

Then there is the embarrassing scene where Rick falls for his Russian doubles partner; thankfully this wasn’t played on much, which is only a good thing!
Saying that, the episode really feels like it could do with a b-plot to even things up. T.C. and Higgins have a wager on whose team will win, and this leads to an amusing penultimate scene (which is probably the best sequence of the episode), but more could have been done with it to even out the dull main plot.

The twist that the terror campaign against Carrie is all part of a marketing ploy, and Carrie herself is in on it, comes as somewhat as a surprise, but sadly it was too late in this dull episode for me to really care. And to this day I can’t really work out how Magnum suddenly deducted that Ronald was also up to no good and wanted to kill Ginger.

All-in-all, this is a very weak episode in my opinion. In fact, I don’t think I’ve watched it since the day I recorded it, until I came to re-watch it to review. Not only the weakest in the season, but one of the weakest episodes overall.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Gillian Dobb is uncredited onscreen for her cameo as Agatha at the end of the episode.

* When Channel 5 broadcast this episode in 2002, they removed shots of Ronald holding the knife to Ginger’s throat. He can be seen holding it up in far off shots, and Magnum tries to persuade him to put it down, but close ups and some dialogue are removed. Knife crime has been a bit issue in the U.K. in recent years, and pre-watershed (i.e. pre-9pm) shows often edit knife use out.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by lutherhgillis »

I think I found a flub. Look at Magnum's shorts when he is on the court saying hello to Ginger near the beginning of the episode. He then drives back to the estate and goes into Higgins' study and is wearing the same shirt but different shorts...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#39 Post by J.J. Walters »

A guy can't change his shorts? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by Rutledal »

I'm wearing a shorts right now, 2 hours ago I wore pants. I think some think is wrong with me :P
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by lutherhgillis »

You guys must be fancy fellers... I wear the same pair of shorts for days... :wink:

D you think Magnum changed while driving the Ferrari back to the estate? It must have been all that sweat from Ginger... But why didn't he change his shirt? :?

Maybe he peed on himself from the frustration with that whiny little ... tennis player screaming chick? :lol:

Cheers.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#42 Post by rubber chicken »

Peeing his shorts is a really good guess Luther, but I happen to know that there was a scene showing Magnum going through the drive-through of a Macho Taco joint. En route to the estate he was driving with his left hand and eating the taco and shifting gears with his right. Quite unexpectedly he had to swerve to avoid a mongoose (a rather large mongoose) and the taco tipped over allowing hot sauce to flow from the taco onto his shorts. The scene ended up being cut due to time restraints. :(

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by charybdis1966 »

Oh dear, this is a pretty poor episode - it even has a friend who is never mentioned before and never seen since as TM's love interest.
The only comedy to be had is in watching actors trying to look competent in playing tennis.
I was actually hoping the brat would get wasted, before it was revealed to be her idea all the time, sorry I sound really mean.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#44 Post by robspace54 »

Higgins "aceing" the serve to Magnum is pretty funny as in the windup Higgins has the tennis racket in his right hand and ball in left. He throws both arms up and we can then see his right hand is now EMPTY! Yet the ball blows past TM at 100 mph. The crew must have had a good laugh shooting this I'll bet.

Not that great of an episode but "Ginger" was another past love that got away.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#45 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Shermy wrote: It's also great to see Henry Gibson visiting the islands. Despite his long career, my favorite role of his will always be Dr. Werner Klopek in The `Burbs. ("My brother...the Dok-tor!") There's a nice scene where Ronald finally begins to tip his hand, and you can literally see Magnum's little voice trying to warn Thomas that, "Hey, there's something 'off' about this guy!" :idea: :!:
The Burbs is one of my favorite movies and I was a bit surprised that my 6 year old noticed "The Doctor" in this episode.

The last few episodes I have watched of this year (I only see the online ones on Netflix, and not all are available) it seems like Higgins has become much more mean-spirited. Even my son said he though Higgins was mean. For example, in an episode earlier in the season, Higgins lectures Magnum about honor and uses his military record as an example of why he himself is honorable. That seems like a stupid thing to say to a Navy officer who graduated from Annapolis and saw combat action as a Seal. What I realized, however, is that when this season was shot, there was probably a lot less respect for American serviceman, so even though Magnum had the bona fides in spades, most people probably still had a negative association because of Vietnam. Anyway, I do still think the show was trying to push the animosity between Magnum and Higgins and went too far.