5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 95

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mixed Doubles (3.10)

#71 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Dave ,

Welcome. BTW go onto YOUTUBE and search for Magnum PI bloopers. This particular episode in featured in one of the bloopers. :lol: This 4 minute MPI bloopers segment is like gold dust as its likely imo no other bloopers exist unfortunately. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok I've babbled about my like for this one before but just watched again and have to say I love near the end when TC is taking Higgins and his crew of old women up (I also love the fact that in these early seasons Agatha was not known as Agatha and if I'm correct was usually positioned as some random older women friend of Higgins lol) when Higgins says "TC baby it ain't over till it's over" hahahah love that line! Anyway this is a great murder mystery episode and is always a good watch, love it:)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#73 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:Ok I've babbled about my like for this one before but just watched again and have to say I love near the end when TC is taking Higgins and his crew of old women up (I also love the fact that in these early seasons Agatha was not known as Agatha and if I'm correct was usually positioned as some random older women friend of Higgins lol) when Higgins says "TC baby it ain't over till it's over" hahahah love that line! Anyway this is a great murder mystery episode and is always a good watch, love it:)
I believe this was Gillian Dobbs second turn as Agatha - The first being Black On White. The rest, she was cast as bit parts (or Mabel - she of the old pioneer stock)

:lol:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:Ok I've babbled about my like for this one before but just watched again and have to say I love near the end when TC is taking Higgins and his crew of old women up (I also love the fact that in these early seasons Agatha was not known as Agatha and if I'm correct was usually positioned as some random older women friend of Higgins lol) when Higgins says "TC baby it ain't over till it's over" hahahah love that line! Anyway this is a great murder mystery episode and is always a good watch, love it:)
I believe this was Gillian Dobbs second turn as Agatha - The first being Black On White. The rest, she was cast as bit parts (or Mabel - she of the old pioneer stock)

Oh nice! Thanks for pointing that out, good spot! And I notice the "Mabel" thing in a couple earlier ones. I recently watch the Elmo Ziller Story and in that one she is a random hostess at the Resort/club that Higgins goes to for vacation lol (and tries to kick Magnum out). I also notice in that scene that the bellhop who tries to make TM leave is the original Icepick before Elisha Cook took over the role. Anyway, pretty funny that she ends up being a regular character later in the show.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by KingKC »

Well, another barely tolerable sports episode. At least this one had a little more comic relief. The tennis playing was atrocious but Kim Richards is definitely cute and she did play a good brat. Always interesting to see a female friend of TM's past. She just looked like a TM girlfriend. Arte Johnson seemed out of place to me. He just isn't one of my favorites though. Another low rating coming down.

KingKC

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by MagnumILWU »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Larsen Arthur "Tappy" Larsen was a real tennis player, and a WWII vet! In the Magnum Mania episode synopsis, he's listed as fictional!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by MagnumILWU »

"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#78 Post by J.J. Walters »

MagnumILWU wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Larsen Arthur "Tappy" Larsen was a real tennis player, and a WWII vet! In the Magnum Mania episode synopsis, he's listed as fictional!
I'm kinda sauced right now, but I'm not seeing that in the episode guide. I don't think "Tippy" Larsen was in this episode.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

J.J. Walters wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Larsen Arthur "Tappy" Larsen was a real tennis player, and a WWII vet! In the Magnum Mania episode synopsis, he's listed as fictional!
I'm kinda sauced right now, but I'm not seeing that in the episode guide. I don't think "Tippy" Larsen was in this episode.
Tappy Larsen wasn't in it, but Higgins mentions that he played against him when they were in their respective armies. He was a real person though.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by MagnumILWU »

J.J. Walters wrote:
When Higgins mentions his tennis playing in WWII, Rick says " You played Tappy Larsen"? In the the Magnum Mania Spotlight episode synopsis, Tappy Larsen is mentioned, as being fictional. Both he, and Gardnar Mulloy(also mentioned in that scene) were real tennis players, and WWII veterans!
"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#81 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, I see what you are saying now! "Tappy" Larsen, not "Tippy" Larsen! Brain fart on my part there, my bad. I've corrected it in the Episode Guide (I also added in the Gardnar Mulloy info, which I also initially missed). Thanks guys! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

karolis
Admiral

#82 Post by karolis »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:So, we finally get to see the Estate's legendary tennis court -- or am I forgetting a prior appearance?

While I was watching that scene, I didn't think it was actually filmed on the Anderson Estate. For one thing, it looked like there was a busy street (glints of sunlight from lots of cars going by) just the other side of the fence at the end of the court that we didn't see very often.

But then I had another look at the satellite view of the Estate (from the link on the Robin's Nest page of the main Magnum Mania site), and I think I have it figured out. The gray house in the background is the gate house (which we don't usually see that close up), and the busy street is the Kalanianaole Highway, which may look even closer than it really is, due to the lens used on the camera.

That's another difference between the real Anderson Estate and Robin's Nest -- on the show, when we see the road in front of the Estate, it seems like there's never much traffic, but in this scene, we can see that it's actually pretty busy.

Screenshot:

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Zora is dreadful, as well.
Maybe it was because Zora looked like she was cold the whole time she was playing. :shock::shock:
She was definitely cold in Hawaii:

Magnum's right index finger is bandaged off and on during the entire episode. In the previous episode, "Mr. White Death", Magnum's right hand was bandaged (Magnum said he hurt it coaching Pee Wee football). This may have been a case where Tom Selleck had a real injury that had to be filmed around. (Noted by Ed Allan)
- from Episode Guide.

Screenshot:

Clearly Magnum's double:

Here Magnum has arm band:

In the next screen he doesn't:

I know that in the second screen we don't see all of his hand, but i think that at least a little white corner of white arm band should be seen if he was wearing one.

Coops present: check

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Ki'i's Don't Lie
8. Mixed Doubles
9. Mr. White Death
10. Foiled Again

It's not the best episode of the season but it's definitely higher for me than to most of y'all ;) As you can see two episodes before and along this one is ranked in my top as bottom 3. But i still haven't watched all of the season three.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#83 Post by K Hale »

robspace54 wrote:Higgins "aceing" the serve to Magnum is pretty funny as in the windup Higgins has the tennis racket in his right hand and ball in left. He throws both arms up and we can then see his right hand is now EMPTY! Yet the ball blows past TM at 100 mph. The crew must have had a good laugh shooting this I'll bet.
I just watched this and I'm not seeing what you saw. Are you saying he lost his grip on the racket?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by K Hale »

Doc Ibold wrote:

True. I recently realized that when she appears in "Ki'is Don't Lie" (taking over for Higgins as auctioneer when he goes inside to talk to Magnum), she is NOT Agatha in that scene but still Mabel. So "Mabel" appeared twice, once in this and once in "Mad Buck Gibson."
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by ENSHealy »

MIXED DOUBLES
Hawaiian shirts: 1 classic jungle bird
Island Hopper shirts: 1 white on maroon
Body Count:
Shirtless:
Little Voice: 2
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars: 1 Kim Richards
Magnumometer: 7

Higgins Memberships: Sandwich Island Botanical Society

Potential magnumania usernames: Zora Korchek, Ginger Grant

I remember watching Kim Richards in Escape to Witch Mountain, and I think i even ordered the book from that regular book ordering thing they used to foist on us in elementary school in the 70s. (Just googled it: Scholastic Book Club. I don't know about the Scholastic part. Most of what I ordered was Encyclopedia Brown or something like This Year's Starting NFL Quarterbacks - I may still have the one with Bert Jones on the cover somewhere.)

Someone mentioned that Ginger looks like TM's future fiance in L.A. I actually paused the episode to check the episode guide to see if Ginger was being played by Dana Delaney, they look so much alike.

According to Ginger, in addition to Vietnam, Thomas was stationed in Gibraltar and the Philippines. The Philippines I can see, but Gibraltar? That's an English possession (as we so memorably saw in The Living Daylights).

It was mentioned earlier that there was a "surprise villian" at the end. I'm sorry, but if you didn't know Captain Combover was the bad guy from the first shot he's in, you really haven't been paying attention. Also, if there is a Combover Hall of Fame, he is a unanimous first ballot entry.

Speaking of him, I'm really surprise nobody has brought up Henry Gibson's turn as the Illinois Nazi in The Blues Brothers.

The Episode Guide says TM owned a DeSoto Firedome. What's the basis for that? In the episode he only says "54 DeSoto" and there was at least one other model in 54, the Powermaster.

There's a hole in the plot with the hole "phone off the hook" thing when TM and Carrie are in the guest house. The scene opens with TM calling the club for Rick but getting Kioki instead because Rick is "on the courts." Kioki assures Magnum that Rick will call him back. Magnum hangs up, then hears Carrie crying in the bedroom. When he goes in (and supposedly scares her by doing so) you can see behind her on the night stand that the phone is off the hook, which she later admits when Higgins says he had to come down to the guest house because Rick couldn't reach the guest house phone. Why does it not occur to Thomas to wonder why she took the phone off the hook in the very short amount of time between his hanging up with Kioki and his hearing Carrie (fake) cry in the bedroom. Since we find out later that she was in on the hit-and-run, she probably heard TM trying to have the plate run down, and took the phone off the hook so Rick couldn't call him back with the info. Why does a world class private investigator not question why she took the phone off the hook between the time he hung up and when he heard her crying? (29 seconds in both screen and "real" time.)

And last but not least, what's with the Volvo as a "rental" car?

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS:

Magnum: It was really something. We went to the drive-in.
We saw Creature From The Black Lagoon in my '54 DeSoto.
And I remember... Right at the scary part, Ginger...
Higgins: Magnum...
Magnum: She just... Ginger just...
Higgins: Magnum! My God, you do have a tendency to rattle on.

Higgins: Mr. Masters has invited her and her mother
to stay during the tournament.
Magnum: And?
Higgins: He'd like you to keep an eye on Carrie while she's here.
Magnum: I knew it! That's why you paired me with her,
to be her baby-sitter.
Higgins: Call it what you may. I didn't do it. Mr. Masters did. Free rent. Red Ferrari. I thought that would silence you.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."