6.0 (Pretty Bad)
6%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 95

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by lutherhgillis »

When you guys were mentioning teenaage tennis phenoms, don't forget Chris Evert from the 70s. She was 16 I believe when she began to gather attention.

I remember Tracy Austin very well. She was a great young player. Too bad the back injury cut her career short.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Tracy Austin is the first young phenom I remember. I always thought athletes were old until she came along. Now all of them are so young!

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by Operation Chessboard »

Shermy wrote:I actually like this one for a number of reasons. First, it's a somewhat lighthearted case where we get to see Magnum as the overgrown kid he is. Gotta love the number of times he hangs his head in defeat. :lol: And while Carrie is annoying, they at least stay true to the character all the way through. There's no attempt to make her fall under Thomas' spell or become his friend. Instead, she simply admits, "No, he's right, I really am kind've a bitch." :?

It's also great to see Henry Gibson visiting the islands. Despite his long career, my favorite role of his will always be Dr. Werner Klopek in The `Burbs. ("My brother...the Dok-tor!") There's a nice scene where Ronald finally begins to tip his hand, and you can literally see Magnum's little voice trying to warn Thomas that, "Hey, there's something 'off' about this guy!" :idea: :!:

The ending is another one of those that manages to close out a routine episode on a memorable note. After insisting he wasn't much of a hero ("The guy was five-foot-three!" :lol: ), Magnum's final "goodbye" to Ginger is surprisingly poignant. Granted, it's not a great ending, but there's enough truth in it to stick with you longer than it should.

I'm a sucker for the endings where Magnum faces up to disillusionment or loss (ie. Double Jeopardy; Texas Lightning; etc). The show was never afraid to let reality disrupt the fantasy. This is one of the reasons why the show still manages to resonate today, and holds up much better than most of its 1980's peers.

That's a very astute analysis, Shermy. I enjoyed reading it! And I'm with you on Henry Gibson. Every time I see that guy I always think of his character from 'The Burbs.' My god that movie was hilarious! The only reason I really enjoy this episode is because of Kim Richards. Man, she was a babe. I wonder whatever happened to her?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#24 Post by Doc Ibold »

Well, apparently she's Paris Hiltons aunt or godmother, or something along those lines.......

As for the Burbs w/ Henry Gibson I am TOTALLY on the same page.

I love that movie, however cheesetastic it is!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Count me in as another one that liked the Burbs. Bruce Dern's character cracked me up.

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#26 Post by Operation Chessboard »

There were so many great scenes of dialog in that film. And Bruce Dern was very funny. That scene with him sitting up on the roof posting surveillance while eating animal crackers always makes me laugh.

"About a nine on the tension scale, Rube."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Steve »

Just watched this one again today, ugh, it was always ranked near the bottom for me as well. Funny thing is, I always thought Kim Richards was a Demi Moore look-a-like with blonde hair and she got on my nerves, but I guess that is a sign of a good actress. I do appreciate that this is another episode that shows Tom Selleck has a lot of athletic ability and they didn't have to resort to creative camera angles to make him look good, he actually has a great tennis swing..........

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#28 Post by Autumn Warrior »

I just watched this episode again. I don’t like it, but it does have one good scene at the end. When Agatha and a few other ladies are about to board the helicopter, there is a very amusing exchange between Agatha and TC.

Agatha: “You do promise not to go too fast, don’t you Mr. Calvin, or too high?

TC (dumbfounded): “I’ll just skim right along the tree tops.”

Agatha: “Oh, delightful.”

This leads to a brief exchange between TC and JQH. James includes it in the episode quotes. ("TC baby, ....")

Although I know it's coming, I still laugh.
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, that's a nice little scene at the end Autumn Warrior.

One other thing about this episode, it's not hard to notice, but none of the female tennis players wear bras; Carrie, Zora, Ginger, Mary Ann... all flyin' free on the court. :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by Rutledal »

I noticed that to James. Carrie does wear a bra in the opening sequence, but for the rest of the episode it is, as you put it, "flyin' free". A small, uhm, redemption :oops: in an episode I really didn't care for.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by lutherhgillis »

I used to hate this episode but then I remembered the ...no that wasn't good but there was the ... no, that wasn't good either. How about the ... no, that also wasn't good. I still hate this episode...

One question. Why didn't Ginger just pick up Mickey Rooney and stuff him into a locker?
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by Rutledal »

I think it was due to some business with him having a knife.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#33 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:I used to hate this episode but then I remembered the ...no that wasn't good but there was the ... no, that wasn't good either. How about the ... no, that also wasn't good. I still hate this episode...

One question. Why didn't Ginger just pick up Mickey Rooney and stuff him into a locker?
You don't mess with Doctor Klopek.

:wink:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by lutherhgillis »

Si, Doc. I agree.

Hey, isn't Arte Johnson the guy from Laugh In that wore the army helmet and said 'very inter-esting' ?

I just do not think that even with a knife that Arte Johnson posed a threat to anyone. Ginger should have stuff him into a locker... Didn't he have a pocket knife at that? That Kenny Phelps guy must have been some more of a wus to get killed by the little guy...

Did anyone notice Phelps move after TM finds him dead?

The teenage tennis player and her mom deserve the b*$@% award for the season. They were unsufferable.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:You don't mess with Doctor Klopek. :wink:
LOL!! :lol:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!