6.0 (Pretty Bad)
6%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 95

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#61 Post by Doc Ibold »

She was a better tennis player than a diver. I will admit, I watched the celeb diving show. Atrocious.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mixed Doubles (3.10)

#62 Post by Sisophous »

This episode is quite funny but also idiotic. I can relate to the annoying tennis girl theme in this episode. Back in the day, I recall a number of real attitudes from some women tennis players who would scold me for just watching them play at beach clubs. I guess their unforced errors were too much for them so they had to take it out on the boy who was just a spectator. Something about tennis and female attitudes back in the 70s and 80s that are unlike any other sport, the producers must have had the same thoughts as me.

I thought Kim Richards did an excellent job in this role and is by far one of the more attractive guests in this series. I believe she is just age 17 when this was shot. It first aired when she was age 18.

I read her writeup on Wikipedia which is interesting, focus on her personal life section: What a gold digger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Richards

I put together the most entertaining clips from this episode and they include in this order....

1. Spastic tennis player hits nearly every ball but one off the court. Is there an editor in the house?
2. Higgins serves an atomic blast which Magnum can't handle and he is out for the count.
3. Temper Tantrum from the Teen
4. Rick gets combative, then romantic after making fun of the girls accent.
5. Teen hogs the court and annoys Magnum.

After turning on your speakers/audio, open the video link below, select 480p quality and the middle size video is best.

http://youtu.be/Y2sk2tlCxFc

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#63 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

It's Sisophous vs The Women again.

Anyway, I don't get the hate for this episode. Apart from the laughable tennis technique by all actors but Selleck, I think it's a fairly entertaining episode, and it reveals another aspect of Magnum's past.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Doc Fred wrote:So agreed with those who laugh at the "pro" tennis players' abilities in the film. And also with Orville's "technique"..

This had one of the best endings in the series: Higgins: "T.C. Baby, it ain't over 'til it's over."
Hillerman lapses back into his native accent when he says that.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Re:

#65 Post by Doc Ibold »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:So agreed with those who laugh at the "pro" tennis players' abilities in the film. And also with Orville's "technique"..

This had one of the best endings in the series: Higgins: "T.C. Baby, it ain't over 'til it's over."
Hillerman lapses back into his native accent when he says that.
Good point!

Sinjin
Lieutenant

#66 Post by Sinjin »

A tennis tournament serves as the backdrop for this average entry with some funny moments to recommend it. Former child star Kim Richards plays a spoiled young tennis phenom. She is very cute and perfect for this role. The central mystery kind of fizzles at the end but there are some funny moments, such as Higgins "service technique" flooring Magnum to the court; Rick arguing with Zora while practicing doubles, then them bumping suggestively into her, becoming enamored and hooking up; Rick's forehand :lol:

I recognized Elaine Giftos from her guest appearances on various tv series of the 70s and 80s, including Hawaii Five-O. I have always thought she was an attractive brunette. Here she plays Ginger Leah Grant, a former college sweetheart of Magnum from his Naval Academy days. The name "Ginger Leah Grant" is very close to "Ginger" from Gilligan's island. Ginger represents the aging class of pro tennis players that play with style, unlike the spoiled upcoming generation represented by Carrie (Kim Reardon) and Kenny. This reflects a popular perception about professional tennis players at the time.

This story made me think of "Dream A Little Dream" from Season 4. In both stories Magnum is involved with a successful female pro athlete, in that case it was pro surfing. In both stories Magnum reconnects with an old flame after spending years apart, but they ultimately fail to connect.

trevor2448
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#67 Post by trevor2448 »

Kim Richards looks good in this episode but man, her screeching drove me nuts. lol!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#68 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I actually liked this one. It was one of those "Magnum has to do the case because Robin assigned it to him" episodes which usually made for great conflict between Magnum and the client. Maybe it was me, but Ms. Grant looked really similiar to the woman Magnum would meet and become engaged to in Los Angelas. Of all of the "woman of the week" episodes I think I liked her in the role the best. TC and Higgins comedy story on the side was really great. Their scene at the end was some of the best comedy on an episode. TC's expression when Agatha explains that one of the ladies get airsick was gold. The only true complaint I have was that I didn't really like that the whole thing was staged by the client. I understand publicity stunts, but it seemed really bizzare that she wanted her parents to try to run her down and then circle back to the club in the same car. Ronald flipping out and going after Ginger was predictable, but done really, really well I thought. I thought it was a fun episode.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Milton Collins »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:It's Sisophous vs The Women again.

Anyway, I don't get the hate for this episode. Apart from the laughable tennis technique by all actors but Selleck, I think it's a fairly entertaining episode, and it reveals another aspect of Magnum's past.

I totally agree as I think this is a great episode! All the different unseen footage of the King Kamehemeha club for the tennis tournament was really cool. Seeing Ronald aka the creepy dr. from the movie The Burbs and Kim Richards (wow!) in this episode made it highly entertaining in my book. I too liked the background on Ginger and Magnum, always cool to learn about his past. I like episodes like this that had a murder type plot/creepy element to it. As much as the more military based episodes are fantastic I think these make for a nice change of pace and should have been done more. And both Rick playing tennis with that hot blonde and seeing Higgins smoke a serve by TM at the estate were amazingly funny, loved it! I could (and have! gave it a 9.5) watch this one again and again!

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#70 Post by Dave Anderson »

This episode may have had its weak points, but for some reason I always enjoy watching it. Maybe the girls in tennis outfits has something to do with that? Who knows. The only negative I would say was the acting of the gal who played Ginger Grant, I am assuming she was hired for her looks because her acting abilities were almost painful to watch (facial expressions, delivery, etc). Her and Magnum's relationship history was also far fetched, I know they didn't have Facebook in those days but there was a thing called a telephone and, gasp, even the US mail. If they had been that serious they really would have lost all contact? The odds of "running into each other" like this was ridiculous as well. Why quibble, though. All in all, not one of the profound episodes of the series, but quite enjoyable.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Dave ,

Welcome. BTW go onto YOUTUBE and search for Magnum PI bloopers. This particular episode in featured in one of the bloopers. :lol: This 4 minute MPI bloopers segment is like gold dust as its likely imo no other bloopers exist unfortunately. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok I've babbled about my like for this one before but just watched again and have to say I love near the end when TC is taking Higgins and his crew of old women up (I also love the fact that in these early seasons Agatha was not known as Agatha and if I'm correct was usually positioned as some random older women friend of Higgins lol) when Higgins says "TC baby it ain't over till it's over" hahahah love that line! Anyway this is a great murder mystery episode and is always a good watch, love it:)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#73 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:Ok I've babbled about my like for this one before but just watched again and have to say I love near the end when TC is taking Higgins and his crew of old women up (I also love the fact that in these early seasons Agatha was not known as Agatha and if I'm correct was usually positioned as some random older women friend of Higgins lol) when Higgins says "TC baby it ain't over till it's over" hahahah love that line! Anyway this is a great murder mystery episode and is always a good watch, love it:)
I believe this was Gillian Dobbs second turn as Agatha - The first being Black On White. The rest, she was cast as bit parts (or Mabel - she of the old pioneer stock)

:lol:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:Ok I've babbled about my like for this one before but just watched again and have to say I love near the end when TC is taking Higgins and his crew of old women up (I also love the fact that in these early seasons Agatha was not known as Agatha and if I'm correct was usually positioned as some random older women friend of Higgins lol) when Higgins says "TC baby it ain't over till it's over" hahahah love that line! Anyway this is a great murder mystery episode and is always a good watch, love it:)
I believe this was Gillian Dobbs second turn as Agatha - The first being Black On White. The rest, she was cast as bit parts (or Mabel - she of the old pioneer stock)

:lol:

Oh nice! Thanks for pointing that out, good spot! And I notice the "Mabel" thing in a couple earlier ones. I recently watch the Elmo Ziller Story and in that one she is a random hostess at the Resort/club that Higgins goes to for vacation lol (and tries to kick Magnum out). I also notice in that scene that the bellhop who tries to make TM leave is the original Icepick before Elisha Cook took over the role. Anyway, pretty funny that she ends up being a regular character later in the show.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by KingKC »

Well, another barely tolerable sports episode. At least this one had a little more comic relief. The tennis playing was atrocious but Kim Richards is definitely cute and she did play a good brat. Always interesting to see a female friend of TM's past. She just looked like a TM girlfriend. Arte Johnson seemed out of place to me. He just isn't one of my favorites though. Another low rating coming down.

KingKC