6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 87

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

It is amazing how much they changes her for the role of Carol.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

My first review of the weak, and another great third season instalment. I watched this episode on DVD in bed last night and ended up dreaming of Jean Bruce Scott! Well I can think of worse things! :)

[rating=9.0]

Thomas is hired by a waitress who has been denied permission to scatter her late father’s ashes at the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, due to the man being charged with being AWOL on the night before the Pearl Harbor Attack. Another strong third season ep…

-----

After the truly terrible ‘Mixed Doubles’, the third season returns to form with this well executed episode.

Bridget Archer, the cocktail waitress who never knows when to keep her mouth shut, is brought to life well by Kathleen Lloyd. Bridget is one of those quirky, always-ending-up-in-trouble characters that the series does so well.
Lloyd, of course, would take over the much recurring role of District Attorney Carol Baldwin from the fourth season onwards. The character had previously been played by another character this season in ‘Foiled Again’, and I wonder if they recast based on Lloyd’s great performance in this episode.

Maggie (Jean Bruce Scott) also somewhat takes over the late Mac’s role in this episode, of the Naval officer who Magnum always ‘persuades’ to give him information. Although she would be used in this position a couple of times, it never became as regular as it did with Mac.

I really like the story, finding it very involving and well acted. One thing that I did feel, though, that it was highly convenient that Magnum should just happen to meet Admiral Wheeler, the very man he needs to see, at the gathering on the Estate. This felt just a little TOO convenient for me.
My only other niggle is that the whole Ferrari-being-stolen plot, good as it is, does rather detract from the main plot, and seems very much to be stuck in to fill the story up, and maybe does knock my rating of the overall story down very slightly.

But other than that, this is a very good story, which is very engaging, and just the right mixture of drama, comedy and action. ‘Mixed Doubles’ take note!

-----

Others notes, bloopers and misc.:

* The ‘standard’ opening trailer music makes it’s first appearance of the season (different pieces of music had been used previously in the season). It is re-recorded from the first and second season versions, and, like those versions, would appear in a number of different edits.

* For some reason, although the regular third season opening credits are seen visually, the later first season version of the theme music is used.

* …And the later first season theme is also used on the closing credits too.

* The footage of the Pearl Harbor bombing seems to be taken from the film ‘Tora! Tora! Tora!’, the same as use for the first season episode ‘Lest We Forget’. And as with that episode, many of the shots appear to be ‘squashed up’ from widescreen.

* When Magnum gets a drink from the drinks machine, notice how the ‘Coke’ logo has been covered up with a large white panel.

* On the DVD version of this episode, all of the commercial breaks are abridged.

* In the United Kingdom, Channel 5 broadcast this story fell on Wednesday September 11th 2002, the first anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. The announcer noted how poignant the end of the story seemed to be with the day in question.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Just an update on the first season theme being used, I just checked my off-air recording of this episode, and it has the standard third season version of the theme.

I've noticed that with many Universal shows, the episode openings get "standardised" over the years (for example, the second season of 'Quantum Leap' originally had several versions of the opening, but nowadays you're only likely to see one), and this may be such a case.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

This episode features what has to be one of the greatest double entendre's of all-time.

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/smoking_buns.wav

An outtake from this scene can be found here (at the :50 mark). Selleck and Hillerman couldn't stop laughing when filming it! Notice, however, in the outtake that the line is slightly different. In the outtake, Agatha says, "hot crust" (?). In the actual episode, this line is removed. Still, absolutely hilarious! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

James J. Walters wrote:Notice, however, in the outtake that the line is slightly different. In the outtake, Agatha says, "hot crust" (?).
Actually, it's "hot cross buns." Where I'm from, we traditionally eat them at Easter. There's a cross on top of the bun that is probably supposed to be a reference to Christ's crucifixion.

Naturally, more than you'd probably like to know is on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cross_bun
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#16 Post by Higgy_baby »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Notice, however, in the outtake that the line is slightly different. In the outtake, Agatha says, "hot crust" (?).
Actually, it's "hot cross buns." Where I'm from, we traditionally eat them at Easter. There's a cross on top of the bun that is probably supposed to be a reference to Christ's crucifixion.

Naturally, more than you'd probably like to know is on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cross_bun
Wow Styles! I think you've found another difference between us and the Americans.

I know never to ask for vinegar for my chips (or Freedom fries), that I must ask for HOT tea because tea may come iced otherwise (can you imagine Higgie asking Agatha is she'd like HOT tea), that when I want normal bacon I need to order Canadian bacon which we've never heard of in Canada, that pop is soda, not to ask for brown bread, that washrooms are restrooms (except in northern WA state and old movies on TCM)......but I never knew they didn't have Hot Cross Buns.

There's even regional differences at home. I had a girlfriend from Nova Scotia who complained that Ontario hot cross buns were not the same. Evidently down east, the cross is sweet icing vs. the baked on style, Styles and I know.

Do they exist on the continent Styles?

In any event, the outtake James refers to was likely removed from the episode, because if James didn't understand it, then the vast majority of viewers also would not.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

FWIW, I knew what was meant, but then I'm old and read a lot . . . . Also, am I the only one who remembers the nursery rhyme about them?

Nursery Rhyme

That's not EXACTLY as I remember it, but close enough.

(I just don't understand how the price can be both "one a penny" AND "two a penny.")

SelleckLover, you remember this tune?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Actually, it's "hot cross buns." Where I'm from, we traditionally eat them at Easter. There's a cross on top of the bun that is probably supposed to be a reference to Christ's crucifixion.

Ah! Thanks Styles. It's probably for the best then that they took they part out! Religious food and double entendre's just don't mix very well. "Hot buns" would have worked, though. ;)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Higgy_baby wrote:Do they exist on the continent Styles?
They exist among the British expat community, which I muck around with from time to time. I'm not much of a church-goer, but I try to make an effort around Christmas and Easter. Good old hot cross buns are a staple at the Anglican church Easter bake sale.

I remember we used to even sell them in school back in Toronto to raise money for charity. That nod to Christianity has probably been snuffed out in public schools by now though.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam spotted this one...

Gabriel Aio (Kimo) is a career criminal. He has served time for armed robbery (1965), felony burglary (1974), and conspiracy to commit money laundering (2002 - in connection with a large-scale Chinatown gambling operation). Aio also appeared as "Little Tony" in two Luther Gillis episodes ("File #521" and "The Return of Luther Gillis").

This is the third guy connected to organized crime to appear on the show! :shock:

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Danno »

'Oh you behave or else she'll get mad at you too...'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by robspace54 »

This was a great episode, IMO.

There are 32 USS Arizona survivors interred aboard at least as of 2008. I can't post my photo of the left hand memorial wall on the memorial. But they are there. I think that interrments are made by scuba divers who place the urns inside the forward hull - not dropped by boat. But a poignant ending to the episode - and a fitting ending for this Pearl Harbor story.

Nice to see them bring back Jean Bruce Scott (Lt. Maggie Poole) and to watch TM discussing Mac Reynolds (and how he alters his appeal from jelly doughnuts to heart appeal). Also to see Kathleen Lloyd in her first Magnum role.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

firefly
Commander

#23 Post by firefly »

robspace54 wrote:
Nice to see them bring back Jean Bruce Scott (Lt. Maggie Poole) and to watch TM discussing Mac Reynolds (and how he alters his appeal from jelly doughnuts to heart appeal).
excellent points. it is great to see the writers maintain a level of continuity by not "forgetting" mac. all too often television shows seem to forget major plot twists after a episode or two, like it never occurred at all.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Good episode. I like the way Magnum played on the Admiral's sense of honor at the end to get him to do the right thing. Nice touch. I also liked the way they dealt with the Japanese experience in post Pearl Harbor Hawaii.

A minor flub was Higgins' use of the camera - he was holding it incorrectly. Since he is supposed to be an expert with cameras, he should have been cradling the camera body with his left hand (assuming he's right handed) and adjusting the lens from below. Instead, he's adjusting it from the side - total amateur mistake.

Also thought it was funny in the opening scene with Agatha using a Sawzall like a jigsaw. Not sure if that was intended, as if meaning she wouldn't know she was using the wrong type of saw, or if they just handed her whatever was handy from the set.

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#25 Post by All About the Stache »

I think this episode was just OK, too little action in it IMO. I did, however, like the respect they showed for the people lost in Pearl Harbor.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*