6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 87

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#31 Post by Pahonu »

robburne wrote:I watched this episode last night and there are couple of points that didn't make sense to me. I was tired and struggling to to focus so I'm not sure if the following our holes in the plot or not:

1. When Magnum visits Vic Stout in his office he presents him with evidence of his car heist operation. At this point Vic begins to co-operate and was about to give Magnum the names of the personal who set up Miles Archer. That is until Bridget busts into the office. a this point Vic turns and plays hardball demanding the negatives before the car is returned.

Why does Vic suddenly become uncooperative when Bridget busts into the office?

2. At the end of the episode Vic shows up at the parade in his limo. He begins to tell Magnum that he 'liked' Magnum's Muxie/Muxy(?). He then tells Magnum that they both speak too much and to the wrong people.

Who had Magnum been speaking to and what had he said?

Why does Vic show up at the parade at the end of the episode?

I don't really understand why Vic is key to this episode and the clearing of Miles Archer name. Surely Magnum only needs to convince the Admiral Wheeler that Miles Archer was framed (which he eventually does) and further Miles' innocence proved if his former lover Iko steps forward to testify.

Or am I missing something?

BTW what is an SP. Admiral Wheeler says he can help Bridget find one "as well as help you solve your other problems" - at the end of the episode.

I'll be interested to hear your opinions.

Rob.[/i]
I don't know all the answers and I haven't seen this one in a long time, but "moxy" means "guts" or "courage" and "SP" is Shore Patrol, the Navy's version of MP or Military Police.

Kudu buck
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#32 Post by Kudu buck »

deleted
Last edited by Kudu buck on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Almost Home (3.11)

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

An example of the little things I think make this show so good . . .

At the end, when they are interring Bridget's father with his shipmates on the Arizona and they are all standing on the boat you can see Magnum standing at military attention. To me, the attention to his character as a former Naval Officer, even when more part of the background of the scene than the focus, shows how everyone understood the little things that complete the picture.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#34 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

robspace54 wrote:This was a great episode, IMO.

There are 32 USS Arizona survivors interred aboard at least as of 2008. I can't post my photo of the left hand memorial wall on the memorial. But they are there. I think that interrments are made by scuba divers who place the urns inside the forward hull - not dropped by boat. But a poignant ending to the episode - and a fitting ending for this Pearl Harbor story.

Rob
here is the picture of the wall you were talking about. I notice that the first survivor was interred in 1982 and this episode aired on 12/9/1982! :shock:
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#35 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

I've found out the location used as Bridget's hotel ("I can afford to stay in this dump a couple more days").

The current name is 'Hokele Suites' and it is located at 412 Lewers Street. You can still see the pool area used in the scene.

It was quite easy to find out it because you can easily read the address '412 Lewe' in a frame of the scene, that is 412 Lewers Street. 8)
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#36 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Kathleen Lloyd is much sexier here than she is as Carol. They made her too frumpy.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by charybdis1966 »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:Kathleen Lloyd is much sexier here than she is as Carol. They made her too frumpy.
Running contrary to the concensus I did not find Kathleen Lloyd at all glamorous, the grey hair takes away from the allure. Also her predecessor as Carol, the DA (I think she appeared in Double Jeopardy), was much more appealling.

Hope that didn't come across as chauvanistic, but it's only a question of taste/personal opinion, I'm sure Ms Lloyd has many fans, and rightly so. :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#38 Post by marlboro »

robburne wrote:

2. At the end of the episode Vic shows up at the parade in his limo. He begins to tell Magnum that he 'liked' Magnum's Muxie/Muxy(?). He then tells Magnum that they both speak too much and to the wrong people.

Why does Vic show up at the parade at the end of the episode?

I don't really understand why Vic is key to this episode and the clearing of Miles Archer name. Surely Magnum only needs to convince the Admiral Wheeler that Miles Archer was framed (which he eventually does) and further Miles' innocence proved if his former lover Iko steps forward to testify.

BTW what is an SP. Admiral Wheeler says he can help Bridget find one "as well as help you solve your other problems" - at the end of the episode.

I'll be interested to hear your opinions.Rob.

I don't think you are missing anything. The subplot involving Vic seems to be in the script to add a bit of danger and excitement. As you said, Iko's testimony should have been enough to reopen the case and wrap up the plot. The Admiral had to be convinced that he did the wrong thing 40 years earlier due to the public sentiment against the Japanese. If Magnum just handed him a piece of evidence that simply proved that Archer had been set up, it would undercut that aspect of the story. The Admiral's moral decision was what was in question, and having evidence pop up that exonerated Archer "lets him off the hook." Does that make sense?

I think Vic was willing to deal with Magnum, becasue he sensed it would just be a "business" deal. He passes on some info and Magnum hands over the negatives. Once the woman suddenly burst in and started asking a bunch of questions, Vic freaked out a little: Who is this woman? How many people are out there digging into his past? I think he just lost his cool.

Well, you need to have a bad guy get busted at the end, right? ;)

At that point in the story I don't think Magnum had sent the negatives back to Vic. He also has been asking questions about Vic's past - a past that includes the murder of two men according to Rick. So Vic knows Magnum has the dirt on him for his present criminal acts (car theft ring etc.) and there is a chance that he may know about some serious crimes he committed when he was just getting started in the 40's. As for who Vic was afraid Magnum was talking to, I can only assume it was the Admiral. Maybe he feared that if Magnum convinced the Admiral to reopen Archer's case that he (Vic) would be implicated in some way which could lead to uncovering other crimes he may have committed while building his "business."

As for why he showed up at the parade, well, it may have been a last ditch effort to strike a deal with Magnum (or kill him) before he spoke to the Admiral.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#39 Post by marlboro »

As for my opinion of the episode: I didn't care for it that much. It was ok. I don't typically like the episodes that feature a guest star who is supposed to be annoying for comedic effect.

I did like the Pearl Harbor tribute at the end.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by charybdis1966 »

marlboro wrote:As for my opinion of the episode: I didn't care for it that much. It was ok. I don't typically like the episodes that feature a guest star who is supposed to be annoying for comedic effect.

I did like the Pearl Harbor tribute at the end.
Agreed, there were a few too many "annoying" guest stars/kids who I found hard to warm to or care about.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#41 Post by marlboro »

While watching "The Sixth Position" I was hoping that Magnum would have said "You walk like a DUCK!...and, by the way - did you see the sun rise? BOOM" Which is probably not what the writers had in mind.

I think it's important that the "annoying" actress/actor actually also be kind of likeable at the same time they are driving the protagonist up the wall. Higgin's is a great example of this type of character. Or Lucille Ball. I Love Lucy doesn't work if the audience hates Lucy.
Last edited by marlboro on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

marlboro wrote:While watching "The Sixth Position" position I was hoping that Magnum would have said "You walk like a DUCK!...and, by the way - did you see the sun rise? BOOM" Which is probably not what the writers had in mind.
LMAO! :)

By the way, welcome marlboro man! Lovin' your episode reviews!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rsswg
Ensign

#43 Post by rsswg »

A great episode. Very original plot.

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by Sir Fearing »

I love Magnums face when Bridget puts her fathers ashes on the table! :lol:
Half a world removed from England

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#45 Post by Milton Collins »

miltontheripper wrote:This one was pretty average for me, although I liked Kathleen Lloyds first appearance. It was interesting to have a focus on Pear Harbor and I didn't think it was a bad episode, just not that great either.

I agree completely! Question, is this the first Agatha appearance? I know Gillian Dobb is in the Elmo Ziller story as a hostess of the private club that Higgy vacations at, but I'm not remembering if I've seen her as Agatha before this? I could be way off as I have been jumping to episodes from many different seasons and not watching in order but does anyone know? I thought this was a pretty average episode overall but by no means a bad one. I see it mentioned in other posts that Kathleen Lloyd was really attractive in this episode, MUCH more so than when she reappears later as Carol Baldwin. I have to say that I was thinking this the entire episode, she really looked hot!! Not sure what the difference was there but had to point it out. Something else I noticed, as the show progressed it seemed like the tension between Higgins and Magnum decreased (meaning Higgins was increasingly less hard on TM and they seemed to gain a mutual friendship and respect for each other). Did it seem to anyone else that this episode seemed to slip back almost to the beginning of the show when Higgins was EXTREMELY hard on Magnum and very negative towards him? Maybe it's just me but I thought so. The highlight for me is the hot cross buns scene, hilarious!!!