2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Heal Thyself (3.12)

#31 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wow! I'm really surprised by the low ratings for this episode. I thought it was excellent! I gave it a 9.0. It begins with an awesome Vietnam flashback with the helicopter which immediately made me flash back to the season 2 episode "The Last Page" which also opened in a similar fashion (I gave that episode an "excellent" 9.0 rating too!). I just love episodes that tie back to Magnum's past in 'Nam and that have a darker feel to them. I love how dedicated Magnum is to his friends - Selleck and Marcia Strassman were great together! This episode for me was on par with other greats from this season such as "Flashback", "Black on White", "Foiled Again", "Of Sound Mind". And with the classic season opener "Did You See the Sun Rise?" (by far the best episode of the show!) this season is shaping up to be the best one yet!

There are some interesting filming locations such as the iconic Makapuu Point Lighthouse, Castle Memorial Hospital (this is where Yaphet Kotto playing a troubled Vietnam vet flips out and takes Danno hostage in the classic season 1 episode of the original HAWAII FIVE-0 "King of the Hill"), and there's a fantastic overhead helicopter shot tracking Magnum in his Ferrari as he drives towards Honolulu passing by the famous Dillingham Fountain (seen numerous times on the original FIVE-0 as McGarrett often drove past it in his black Mercury) and Kapiolani Park.

For some humor we have a few excellent scenes between Rick and T.C. and Higgins as they build the 17th century doghouse for the "lads". I love when T.C. saws off the end of Higgins's walking stick (given to him by Gen. "Monty" Montgomery himself :lol:). Later when the doghouse is built Zeus (or was it Apollo?) raises his leg and pees on it. :lol: This episode has it all - seriousness as well as humor! What's not to like? It's certainly superior to some of the higher praised episodes on here like "Dead Man's Channel" or "Tropical Madness" or "The Woman on the Beach".

I also like the mystery as to who the real killer is. I can usually pick out the killer from the start on this show but here I was really thrown for a loop. I thought it was Harriman (only because Robert Brighton played by Peter Brown seemed too obvious) but then when Harriman was found floating in the pool towards the end I was surprised. Dr. Jorgenson's reveal was a nice surprise I thought. My only quibble is why Jorgenson was at the Makapuu Point Lighthouse at the end. Magnum arrives there to stop Karen from jumping off the cliff and after he talks her out of it Jorgenson mysteriously appears and begins shooting at them. Seems like they were running out of time and needed to wrap things up quickly so it feels a bit rushed/forced. I suppose one could make the argument that Jorgenson was following Karen but that doesn't make much sense. He had no reason to. Would he follow her everywhere? But that's a minor fault.

P.S. Kario Salem who plays the despicable reporter Eric Daniels played a great part as a schizo psycho who frames Danno for murder in the great season 8 episode of FIVE-0 "Deadly Persuasion".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by KingKC »

I have read the synopsis of this episode, looked at all the pics and read every forum post and can only vaguely remember it. I assure you I was glued to my TV every Thursday night in December of 1982. Memory is a funny thing!

KingKC

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#33 Post by Cagliostro »

I love this episode, and the way it deals with the long lasting effects of the trauma of war. It was super easy to figure out who the killer was the second I realized that Dr. Jorgenson was played by Edward Winter. It was a kick to see him playing a role other than Col. Flag from M*A*S*H.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Milton Collins »

I liked this one better than previous viewings, especially the Vietnam flashbacks.

I couldn’t have disliked DR Jorgenson or the reporter Daniels much more yuk! Loved when Magnum slugged Daniels onto the pool lol.

Didn’t like Karen’s husband a whole lot more what a jerk!

Higgins being so kind and understanding to Dr Harmon in his office was great. I truly love Higgins and think the show would. Or have been the same without him!

Good overall episode, I’m surprised with how few comments there are on this one, not great but very solid!

karolis
Admiral

#35 Post by karolis »

Danno wrote:However, the construction of the doghouse is pretty funny despite the quite heavy context of war trauma. 'The everlasting appreciation of Zeus & Apollo...'
.45caliber wrote:Loved the 14th century house they were building for the lads. Higgins tells Rick how much Zues and Apollo will appreciate they're hard work and then one of the lads is seen hiking his leg and marking the side of it! Hilarious and classic!

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Dr. Jorgenson's reveal was a nice surprise I thought. My only quibble is why Jorgenson was at the Makapuu Point Lighthouse at the end. Magnum arrives there to stop Karen from jumping off the cliff and after he talks her out of it Jorgenson mysteriously appears and begins shooting at them. Seems like they were running out of time and needed to wrap things up quickly so it feels a bit rushed/forced. I suppose one could make the argument that Jorgenson was following Karen but that doesn't make much sense. He had no reason to. Would he follow her everywhere? But that's a minor fault.

Is this a fog or a volcanic gas? :D :roll:

Coops present: check

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Almost Home
8. Heal Thyself
9. Ki'i's Don't Lie
10. Mixed Doubles
11. Mr. White Death
12. Foiled Again

jeffran
Captain

#36 Post by jeffran »

Working my way through season 3: I enjoyed this one (rated 8). Two MASH veterans. A great scene between Marcia Strassman and John Hillerman. Not an action-packed story, but it kept me interested throughout.

Since Col Flagg was the true antagonist - I'm assuming he was an FBI agent posing an a CID agent posing as an NSA agent, posing as a doctor (had he been required to break his own arm, he could've also set it himself).

(only MASH fans will get this last bit)

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Kevster »

jeffran wrote:Working my way through season 3: I enjoyed this one (rated 8). Two MASH veterans. A great scene between Marcia Strassman and John Hillerman. Not an action-packed story, but it kept me interested throughout.

Since Col Flagg was the true antagonist - I'm assuming he was an FBI agent posing an a CID agent posing as an NSA agent, posing as a doctor (had he been required to break his own arm, he could've also set it himself).

(only MASH fans will get this last bit)
I looked for the like button!!! :D

Big MASH fan. I hadn't watched it in a decade until just over a year ago, and I called it quits after seeing every episode again at least twice. Like Star Trek TOS, you watch them a couple few times and you're good for a while...
Trust Me!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

karolis wrote:
Danno wrote:However, the construction of the doghouse is pretty funny despite the quite heavy context of war trauma. 'The everlasting appreciation of Zeus & Apollo...'
.45caliber wrote:Loved the 14th century house they were building for the lads. Higgins tells Rick how much Zues and Apollo will appreciate they're hard work and then one of the lads is seen hiking his leg and marking the side of it! Hilarious and classic!

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Dr. Jorgenson's reveal was a nice surprise I thought. My only quibble is why Jorgenson was at the Makapuu Point Lighthouse at the end. Magnum arrives there to stop Karen from jumping off the cliff and after he talks her out of it Jorgenson mysteriously appears and begins shooting at them. Seems like they were running out of time and needed to wrap things up quickly so it feels a bit rushed/forced. I suppose one could make the argument that Jorgenson was following Karen but that doesn't make much sense. He had no reason to. Would he follow her everywhere? But that's a minor fault.

Is this a fog or a volcanic gas? :D :roll:

Coops present: check

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Almost Home
8. Heal Thyself
9. Ki'i's Don't Lie
10. Mixed Doubles
11. Mr. White Death
12. Foiled Again
No, that's just TC passing gas! :D

Seriously though, karolis. You've been keeping track of the Coops sightings. I would really appreciate it if you could send me a list of all the episodes you've tracked so far where it is spotted. I would love to add it to the Episode Guide. I have some of the episodes tracked, but by no means all.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by ENSHealy »

HEAL THYSELF
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 0
Body Count: 1 Dr. Harriman
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: 0
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 0
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: 0
Magnumometer: 5

Overall, I thought this one was sort of ho-hum. But a few interesting things to note:

It's funny how Magnum just hands Higgins his coffee mug like Higgins is the butler, and Higgins just takes it as if it's nothing.

Why the heck is a doctor standing in the middle of the hospital driveway to go over a chart with a nurse?

More fun with hospital pages:
"Dr. Stern to Radiology"
"Mr. Harriman, Mr. Phillip Harriman, telephone, please."
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote: It's funny how Magnum just hands Higgins his coffee mug like Higgins is the butler, and Higgins just takes it as if it's nothing.

I thought that was funny too, but I think when somebody hands you something, your automatic instinct is to take it, otherwise it will drop to the ground. That's why I keep my hands behind my back when people introduce me to their infants.

My question is why is Higgins dressed for riding to the hounds when they're going to be building a doghouse? He can be extra as hell but that's taking it to an extreme!

Also, did anyone else cringe when the Monty walking stick got sawed in half? That ought to be in a museum!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by ENSHealy »

KingKC wrote:I have read the synopsis of this episode, looked at all the pics and read every forum post and can only vaguely remember it. I assure you I was glued to my TV every Thursday night in December of 1982. Memory is a funny thing!

KingKC
How about we all chip in and buy KingKC a set of the DVDs to jog his memory?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:HEAL THYSELF
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 0
Body Count: 1 Dr. Harriman
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: 0
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 0
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: 0
Magnumometer: 5
UPDATE - 3.12 HEAL THYSELF
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1 dark red with light blue flowers
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless: 1.5 1 point for TM, .5 for TC
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 2
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 6.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Duke of Cheltenham, Corky Foxworth
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/379495481

Sun/Rain/Shorts Flub: When Magnum is first shown swimming in the tidal pool it is sunny and he’s wearing blue swimming trunks. Then in the next shot the roof tiles on the guest house are wet, he’s wearing brown UDTs, and Higgins comments that he has been swimming in the rain.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

TigersHat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by TigersHat »

ENSHealy wrote:
KingKC wrote:I have read the synopsis of this episode, looked at all the pics and read every forum post and can only vaguely remember it. I assure you I was glued to my TV every Thursday night in December of 1982. Memory is a funny thing!

KingKC
But memories are forever

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by ENSHealy »

TigersHat wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:

KingKC
But memories are forever
Well played!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Gorilla Mask »

On this episode I'm a bit 'circumspect' (another Oxford dictionary word, sorry...).

On the one hand, I liked the acting of Marcia Strassman who interprets very well the 'Nam post-traumatic stress (and the associated neurosis).

The dialogue between Higgins and her should have been the central point of the plot (I would have liked to see Higgy Baby as Dr Freud).

Robert was, for me, the culprit. It was a surprise that it was Jorgenson.

I pass on the fact that the murderer is very busy following Marcia 24H/24H and on his poor ability to aim and anticipate the distance!

The gun (seems to be?) a Walther P38... So it's eight shots... (sorry Thomas !)

I liked the plot which is not so bad (even if not exceptional with a certain panic after minute 37...).

I have big questions about the location of the final scene... But let me have a look at it!
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."