6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Contrary to some concerning this episode, I found it to be amazing, and it's also one of my favorites from season 3! This one is very touching and heart-felt for Magnum...and for the viewer.

The flashbacks to Vietnam were superbly and realistically done...awesome! :) I liked the plot, with Magnum reuniting with Karen and finding out she's being accused of murdering patients! :o

Although who really was behind it all was somewhat predictable...I still find this episode captivating and enjoyable.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Seaver41 »

this one did a good job of hiding the conclusion longer than most. Of course then, one never trusts Col. Flagg :lol:

Bes
Commander

#23 Post by Bes »

I enjoyed this episode personally. Good red herrings as mentioned.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by .45caliber »

Loved the 14th century house they were building for the lads. Higgins tells Rick how much Zues and Apollo will appreciate they're hard work and then one of the lads is seen hiking his leg and marking the side of it! Hilarious and classic!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Heal Thyself (3.12)

#25 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Are we supposed to believe that the University of Hawai'i would allow any mug to borrow valuable 17th plans from their archives so he can built a kennel for his dogs?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#26 Post by marlboro »

I thought this was a better than average episode. It had a bit more mystery and a bit less humor than the last few episodes which is a plus in my book.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#27 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I really enjoyed it. I really enjoy Marcia Strassman and I thought she was great in this role. I didn't really like the whole "getting my sister off of heroine slowly" part of it because it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story at all, but that was my one real gripe. This one kind of set up Magnum's dislike for the press. It also had all of the great classic elements of Magnum, p.i. to it. It had humor, action, mystery, helicopter use, and a tie in with the military. It was also kind of different to have someone Magnum knew well in Nam that didn't have ties to TC and Rick.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I really enjoyed it. I didn't really like the whole "getting my sister off of heroine slowly" part of it because it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story at all, but that was my one real gripe. This one kind of set up Magnum's dislike for the press. It also had all of the great classic elements of Magnum, p.i. to it. It had humor, action, mystery, helicopter use, and a tie in with the military. It was also kind of different to have someone Magnum knew well in Nam that didn't have ties to TC and Rick.

I agree that this was a good enjoyable episode and I rated it an 8.0. I hadn't seen it in years and liked it more than I remembered. It really was a very good mystery and kept me guessing who was behind the framing. And yes it was interesting to see someone from Nam that didn't know TC and Rick, I found that interesting as well. Very realistic Viet Nam war scenes as well and I thought it was interesting how they showed how it wasn't just the front line soldiers who came back messed up but the nurse's were damaged too. I loved the dog house and Higgins lording over Rick and TC as they built it only for it to be peed on by one of the Lad's lol. So I have a comment, I found "Daniels" the reporter to be absolutely despicable and LOVED it when Magnum punched him into the pool.

I am posing this question, who is the more dislikable reporter from Magnum, Daniels in this one or Jeff Spangler in Death and Taxes? Both are extremely annoying and pushy and draw the ire and wrath of one Thomas Sullivan Magnum.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#29 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Milton Collins wrote: I am posing this question, who is the more dislikable reporter from Magnum, Daniels in this one or Jeff Spangler in Death and Taxes? Both are extremely annoying and pushy and draw the ire and wrath of one Thomas Sullivan Magnum.
My vote goes to Spangler. He was not only annoying he was extremely reckless and dangerous. He could've easily gotten either himself or other people killed in the name of getting a story. Daniels was more of just an overbearing guy looking to get reactions. He didn't seem the type to interfere with things to the point he'd be putting lives in danger.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: I am posing this question, who is the more dislikable reporter from Magnum, Daniels in this one or Jeff Spangler in Death and Taxes? Both are extremely annoying and pushy and draw the ire and wrath of one Thomas Sullivan Magnum.
My vote goes to Spangler. He was not only annoying he was extremely reckless and dangerous. He could've easily gotten either himself or other people killed in the name of getting a story. Daniels was more of just an overbearing guy looking to get reactions. He didn't seem the type to interfere with things to the point he'd be putting lives in danger.

I'm with you! While I couldn't stand Daniels character Spangler was downright despicable!! I found myself laughing as Milton Collins tied him up and gagged him and dragged him by his hair to the pool, he deserved some abuse!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wow! I'm really surprised by the low ratings for this episode. I thought it was excellent! I gave it a 9.0. It begins with an awesome Vietnam flashback with the helicopter which immediately made me flash back to the season 2 episode "The Last Page" which also opened in a similar fashion (I gave that episode an "excellent" 9.0 rating too!). I just love episodes that tie back to Magnum's past in 'Nam and that have a darker feel to them. I love how dedicated Magnum is to his friends - Selleck and Marcia Strassman were great together! This episode for me was on par with other greats from this season such as "Flashback", "Black on White", "Foiled Again", "Of Sound Mind". And with the classic season opener "Did You See the Sun Rise?" (by far the best episode of the show!) this season is shaping up to be the best one yet!

There are some interesting filming locations such as the iconic Makapuu Point Lighthouse, Castle Memorial Hospital (this is where Yaphet Kotto playing a troubled Vietnam vet flips out and takes Danno hostage in the classic season 1 episode of the original HAWAII FIVE-0 "King of the Hill"), and there's a fantastic overhead helicopter shot tracking Magnum in his Ferrari as he drives towards Honolulu passing by the famous Dillingham Fountain (seen numerous times on the original FIVE-0 as McGarrett often drove past it in his black Mercury) and Kapiolani Park.

For some humor we have a few excellent scenes between Rick and T.C. and Higgins as they build the 17th century doghouse for the "lads". I love when T.C. saws off the end of Higgins's walking stick (given to him by Gen. "Monty" Montgomery himself :lol:). Later when the doghouse is built Zeus (or was it Apollo?) raises his leg and pees on it. :lol: This episode has it all - seriousness as well as humor! What's not to like? It's certainly superior to some of the higher praised episodes on here like "Dead Man's Channel" or "Tropical Madness" or "The Woman on the Beach".

I also like the mystery as to who the real killer is. I can usually pick out the killer from the start on this show but here I was really thrown for a loop. I thought it was Harriman (only because Robert Brighton played by Peter Brown seemed too obvious) but then when Harriman was found floating in the pool towards the end I was surprised. Dr. Jorgenson's reveal was a nice surprise I thought. My only quibble is why Jorgenson was at the Makapuu Point Lighthouse at the end. Magnum arrives there to stop Karen from jumping off the cliff and after he talks her out of it Jorgenson mysteriously appears and begins shooting at them. Seems like they were running out of time and needed to wrap things up quickly so it feels a bit rushed/forced. I suppose one could make the argument that Jorgenson was following Karen but that doesn't make much sense. He had no reason to. Would he follow her everywhere? But that's a minor fault.

P.S. Kario Salem who plays the despicable reporter Eric Daniels played a great part as a schizo psycho who frames Danno for murder in the great season 8 episode of FIVE-0 "Deadly Persuasion".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by KingKC »

I have read the synopsis of this episode, looked at all the pics and read every forum post and can only vaguely remember it. I assure you I was glued to my TV every Thursday night in December of 1982. Memory is a funny thing!

KingKC

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#33 Post by Cagliostro »

I love this episode, and the way it deals with the long lasting effects of the trauma of war. It was super easy to figure out who the killer was the second I realized that Dr. Jorgenson was played by Edward Winter. It was a kick to see him playing a role other than Col. Flag from M*A*S*H.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Milton Collins »

I liked this one better than previous viewings, especially the Vietnam flashbacks.

I couldn’t have disliked DR Jorgenson or the reporter Daniels much more yuk! Loved when Magnum slugged Daniels onto the pool lol.

Didn’t like Karen’s husband a whole lot more what a jerk!

Higgins being so kind and understanding to Dr Harmon in his office was great. I truly love Higgins and think the show would. Or have been the same without him!

Good overall episode, I’m surprised with how few comments there are on this one, not great but very solid!

karolis
Admiral

#35 Post by karolis »

Danno wrote:However, the construction of the doghouse is pretty funny despite the quite heavy context of war trauma. 'The everlasting appreciation of Zeus & Apollo...'
.45caliber wrote:Loved the 14th century house they were building for the lads. Higgins tells Rick how much Zues and Apollo will appreciate they're hard work and then one of the lads is seen hiking his leg and marking the side of it! Hilarious and classic!

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Dr. Jorgenson's reveal was a nice surprise I thought. My only quibble is why Jorgenson was at the Makapuu Point Lighthouse at the end. Magnum arrives there to stop Karen from jumping off the cliff and after he talks her out of it Jorgenson mysteriously appears and begins shooting at them. Seems like they were running out of time and needed to wrap things up quickly so it feels a bit rushed/forced. I suppose one could make the argument that Jorgenson was following Karen but that doesn't make much sense. He had no reason to. Would he follow her everywhere? But that's a minor fault.

Is this a fog or a volcanic gas? :D :roll:

Coops present: check

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. The Eighth Part of the Village
6. Past Tense
7. Almost Home
8. Heal Thyself
9. Ki'i's Don't Lie
10. Mixed Doubles