6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 112

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

RocketMan wrote:I am surprised by all the love for this episode. Having just watched the first three seasons in their entirety for the first time, I rank this one near the bottom of the barrel. Only the awful backdoor pilot Two Birds of a Feather "rises" below this one, in my book.
It's just one of those goofy, offbeat, humorous episodes that make for a welcome change to the "normal" ones. It has a rather unusual plot that makes for some great scenes. It also has two GREAT guest stars in Donnelly Rhodes and Roscoe Lee Browne! Throw in one of the best Magnum/Higgins scenes ever ("I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent.") and the masquerade ball scene, and, well, you got yourself an episode that is endearing to many people.

But everyone takes away something different from each episode. One of the things that makes Magnum so great is that it has a little bit of something for everybody. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I'm seriously let up on this ep. In my top five.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Braddah Kimo »

delete....
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I am surprised by all the love for this episode."
Don't be. Cuz it ain't so. Love is what one feels for a member of the opposite sex, when there is extreme attraction.

"i'm just a bit surprised that i seem to be the only one who felt seriously let down."
if it is "just a bit surprised," well then, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Mostly because when one reaches adulthood, one sees that there is a plethora of differing perspectives regarding everything in life. But we will wait patiently for you to come to that conclusion when you enter the big bad world out there.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketMan
Ensign

#65 Post by RocketMan »

Dear Mr. Kimo,

Thank you so much for this condescending reply. If I had known that opinions different from your own irk you so much, I would have refrained from posting. Oh, and I suggest going easy on the smartass juice from now on.

Ta!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Dear Ta!

I myself cannot refrain from posting for I am obligated to tell you your post showed us other's differing opinion of the ep. irked you so and exhibited (the worst kind;) passive aggressive condescension.
One naturally would be surprised at your double standard.

And this being a free country, I am open to ingesting any juice I deem fit for my particular mood and stimulation requirements so until I find surprisingly you are actually my doctor, I will thank you to stay away from my diet.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Further, you really should not be surprise by any "love" for any Magnum ep, displayed by those of us who spent years watching each ep, first during it's initial release back in the 80's and many many times over, through the decades, through reruns and of course our constant reviewing the eps from our VHS tapes we each respectively, undoubtedly and dutifully recorded and collected, as I have. These years of full assimilation into the world of Magnum P.I. will be wholly foreign to a neophyte and of course, our appreciation for each and every ep would differ to such an extent, the "love" for each week's offering would be something totally alien to those just getting into MPI. This is not a diss, it is a fact. Painfully obvious, even.
Again, expressing surprise this chasm of difference is not self-evident.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Kevster »

Braddah Kimo wrote:And this being a free country, I am open to ingesting any juice I deem fit for my particular mood and stimulation requirements so until I find surprisingly you are actually my doctor, I will thank you to stay away from my diet.
Not stated for any reason except for levity...

It isn't true in NYC!!! They've banned Big Gulps there!

Back to your regularly scheduled discourse...
Trust Me!!!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I saw that in the news. wacky gummint control over the citizenry. What next.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Kevster »

Braddah Kimo wrote:I saw that in the news. wacky gummint control over the citizenry. What next.
Full Tyranny...

You asked.... :wink:
Trust Me!!!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I did. and I thinks so too. Big Bruthuh to da max.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Sisophous »

Ok, one fakes his death and does so by crashing his plane while he has spectators. Where was the body? Where did the body of the pilot go? No mention about this in the script.

I know these episodes are intended to be creative but they should include some basic, fundamentals, there would be no reading of the Last Will and Testament so soon if there was no body recovered.

You have to go missing for a full year before you can legally be declared deceased. And even then, you may not be declared deceased if there is any suspicion. Usually this happens when someone goes missing while at sea.

This episode is entertaining but the script writers make it unbelievable.

txz045
Lieutenant

#73 Post by txz045 »

'Fun Episode' sums it up nicely to me :D

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Of Sound Mind (3.13)

#74 Post by marlboro »

I didn't really like this one. It seemed even less Magnum-like than "Two Birds of a Feather." The setup was ill conceived as Sisophous pointed out. There really wasn't much of a mystery, and the "twist" was predictable.

There have been some hilarious moments in season 3, but the comedy in this episode just fell flat for me. And since there wasn't much else in the episode to catch my interest I think it ties "Mixed Doubles" as my least favorite of the season. "Of Sound Mind" doesn't have the annoying screaming/bickering of "Mixed Doubles" but it doesn't have the hot bra-less chicks either. When Larry Manetti is the "babe" in the episode you're watching, you know you're in trouble.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Of Sound Mind (3.13)

#75 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I didn't really enjoy this one either. It was nice having a small SOAP reunion, but that was really the highlight for me. I know it was a comedy episode, but the comedy seemed lacking. There were also far too many open questions at the end of it. How could the money have been legally distributed per the will only for the dead person come back and instantly get it all back? Wouldn't that have been some kind of fraud? If Magnum was going to chase the Grim Reaper then why would he not have taken off his suit of armor first? With his history and his background in private investigations why wouldn't Magnum have had the locks changed when moving into the mansion? Why did Wilton resurface before Magnum had found the person trying to kill him? Why was Higgins so blatantly rude towards Carlton? This episode just seemed very off to me.