6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 112

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I did. and I thinks so too. Big Bruthuh to da max.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Sisophous »

Ok, one fakes his death and does so by crashing his plane while he has spectators. Where was the body? Where did the body of the pilot go? No mention about this in the script.

I know these episodes are intended to be creative but they should include some basic, fundamentals, there would be no reading of the Last Will and Testament so soon if there was no body recovered.

You have to go missing for a full year before you can legally be declared deceased. And even then, you may not be declared deceased if there is any suspicion. Usually this happens when someone goes missing while at sea.

This episode is entertaining but the script writers make it unbelievable.

txz045
Lieutenant

#73 Post by txz045 »

'Fun Episode' sums it up nicely to me :D

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Of Sound Mind (3.13)

#74 Post by marlboro »

I didn't really like this one. It seemed even less Magnum-like than "Two Birds of a Feather." The setup was ill conceived as Sisophous pointed out. There really wasn't much of a mystery, and the "twist" was predictable.

There have been some hilarious moments in season 3, but the comedy in this episode just fell flat for me. And since there wasn't much else in the episode to catch my interest I think it ties "Mixed Doubles" as my least favorite of the season. "Of Sound Mind" doesn't have the annoying screaming/bickering of "Mixed Doubles" but it doesn't have the hot bra-less chicks either. When Larry Manetti is the "babe" in the episode you're watching, you know you're in trouble.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#75 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I didn't really enjoy this one either. It was nice having a small SOAP reunion, but that was really the highlight for me. I know it was a comedy episode, but the comedy seemed lacking. There were also far too many open questions at the end of it. How could the money have been legally distributed per the will only for the dead person come back and instantly get it all back? Wouldn't that have been some kind of fraud? If Magnum was going to chase the Grim Reaper then why would he not have taken off his suit of armor first? With his history and his background in private investigations why wouldn't Magnum have had the locks changed when moving into the mansion? Why did Wilton resurface before Magnum had found the person trying to kill him? Why was Higgins so blatantly rude towards Carlton? This episode just seemed very off to me.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by Milton Collins »

Love love love this episode! A perfect ten and in my top couple favorite episodes along with Death and Taxes and the Case of the Red Faced Thespian. The concept of Magnum inheriting all this money/wealth from a an extremely eccentric former client is amazingly cool! The viewing of the will with the attorney and Mcleashes relatives is one of my favorite parts lol. TM's obvious shock to the news and his good hearted offer to split the funds with the rather nasty relatives is priceless! I also like the nightime "visitor" to the mansion and the whole secret passage bit at the end, these both added a good creepy element that I wish they had used more of in the show. And what wasn't great about the costume ball!! TM in a knight in shining armor suit, and a daytime bash with TC and Rick dressed up in those ridiculous getups, loved it!!! Did anyone notice the midget Frankenstein dancing in the crowd at the party? I have to wonder if this is the same midget from season 2's "Tropical Madness" and a couple other episodes (one in particular memory is Season 5's episode "Fragments" where he is seen on the lawn with other people doing specialty acts auditioning for the benefit variety show) where I've noticed him doing cameo spots. He's pretty unmistakable.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I gave this one a 9.0 (excellent) rating which is the same rating I gave the previous episode - "Heal Thyself".

This was a very entertaining "comedy" episode with a bit of mystery thrown in for good measure. Those who are nitpicking it (why didn't Magnum take off his armor when pursuing the Grim Reaper? why didn't the authorities look for the body when the airplane blew up?) are missing the point - this episode isn't trying to be very realistic. Just the opposite. It's surreal. It feels more like a dream. In a dream things almost never add up or make sense. Hey, if someone just told me that a total stranger gave me his entire fortune I'd be convinced that I'm dreaming too. No way! Things like this just don't happen in the real world. Not even in the world of MPI, unless it's the surreal world of MPI.

One thing that I don't quite get is the love for the ballroom scene. It seems to be everyone's favorite scene - especially Magnum in the suit of armor. Personally I could take it or leave it. They seemed to really be going for the yuk-yuks in that scene. Magnum trying to smash through the door in the armor wasn't all that funny the first time. Even less so the second and third time. Next please... It's like they were trying too hard with the humor there. I like my humor to be more subtle - usually involving a look that Magnum or Higgins give one another. But that's a minor quibble. Everything else was excellent - the reading of the will with MacLeish seemingly from his grave conversing with his family members and later with Magnum via the TV, the emasculating of a rodent/saxophone scene, the big spooky house at night, and every scene with Carlton (Roscoe Lee Browne was fantastic!). I really love when Carlton introduces himself to Higgins as Magnum's "manservant". That whole scene is a riot!!

Thinking between this episode and "Heal Thyself" I'm tempted to give a slight edge to the latter (probably because I prefer the more serious 'Nam-themed episodes and because it feels more like a typical MPI episode) but I rated both equally (9.0) and enjoyed both for different reasons. Season 3 is excellent ("Mixed Doubles" and "Two Birds of a Feather" notwithstanding).

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

With Magnum's speech to MacLeish at the end, I can see how Carlton and James (the nephew) wouldn't "have a motive" had MacLeish treated them better, but I have a hard time believing that Tony and Marina would be the same way. They weren't necessarily hostile to him in life, but there was no guarantee they wouldn't squander his fortune somehow. Also, while what Carlton got wasn't enough for his troubles, he still received the most (after Magnum) and the housekeeper and gardener seemed to be fine with what they received :P The housekeeper's reaction kills me :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by KingKC »

Whatever you rate the episode is your business but the masquerade ball gets a 10 from me.

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

KingKC wrote:Whatever you rate the episode is your business but the masquerade ball gets a 10 from me.

KingKC
Especially Magnum in that suit of armor! :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by KingKC »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
KingKC wrote:Whatever you rate the episode is your business but the masquerade ball gets a 10 from me.

KingKC
Especially Magnum in that suit of armor! :lol:
AMEN!!!!!!

BWheelz54
Admiral

#82 Post by BWheelz54 »

I didn't have the time this morning to really sift through this thread, but does anyone mention if that rock band at the masquerade ball has a name? Probably not, seeing that the band's just kinda likely thrown together for the episode, if the folks moving around on that stage can play any kind of instrument at all even. But, seeing this is such a fun site, I think we need to give that band a name.

Watched this episode again last night. Many funny moments. To me, I get a kick out of the transition to the jazz being played in the background at the start of the episode to the notes Thomas is choking out of his pawnshop saxaphone when the shot transitions into the guest house.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by MagnumILWU »

Sadly, Donnelly Rhodes passed away Jan 8, 2018, at the age of 80!
"pickled egg please"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by K Hale »

SignGuyHPW wrote:Why was Higgins so blatantly rude towards Carlton?
I didn't see this addressed elsewhere in the thread so I will take a crack at it. From Higgins' perspective, Carlton would be the one who was rude by talking down to him. Carlton is a servant, remember, while Higgins is not only the boss of the estate, he's also a baron and grew up in a family that was part of the peerage.

In the scene where Carlton is packing Magnum's clothes, he verbally identifies himself as a manservant, and is told that Higgins is the majordomo of Robin's Nest. He then asks Higgins to help him carry Magnum's bags, as if Higgins were his social equal, i.e. another servant, and he says it in a politely condescending tone of voice to boot. I can't imagine any other reason why Carlton would do this except that he seems to like Magnum's lack of pretentiousness and is purposely insulting Higgins because he doesn't approve of the way Higgins was mocking Magnum. For a servant to speak to someone of Higgins' upper class background in this way ("Give us a hand with the bags, Higgins, there's a good chap"!!) is very out of line. Which of course is just the way Carlton intended it to be taken.

Later in the party receiving line, Carlton greets Higgins with a faintly insolent familiarity by again calling him merely Higgins instead of Mr. Higgins, continuing to imply that they are equals. Higgins replies in kind, but with an edge of contempt to let Carlton know he understands what he's doing and he's not buying it. I would like to have seen more of these two together!

Despite what Luther Gillis thinks, Higgins ain't the butler, lol.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Turkey
Admiral

#85 Post by Turkey »

Cracking episode - but who operates the zoom when MacLeish is on camera telling Magnum he thinks he's been murdered? :lol:
Make it two weeks.