6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 112

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#51 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, nice Sam! I assumed it was a set, but the windows certainly match up with the building at St. Andrew's!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Sam »

Styles and JJ,

It came to me when I watched the Masquerade Ball scene.When TM and Carlton are greeting the guests,I noticed the arches in the passageway which I know are at St Andy's.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Classic episode!

#53 Post by nha trang »

I really love this episode. I think it is escapism at it's finest, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Part of the draw of Magnum PI is the escapism element for the viewer, hot car, mansion, great friends, excitement etc. This episode takes it to another level, because the story unfolds as TM (temporarily) lands a windfall of his own. Something most of us can relate to who dream of winning the lottery and well...errr...buying Robin's nest..hahah.

I think it's episodes like this that helped build this Magnum PI world, the archetype, that we all enjoy.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#54 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:Styles and JJ,

It came to me when I watched the Masquerade Ball scene.When TM and Carlton are greeting the guests,I noticed the arches in the passageway which I know are at St Andy's.
Wow Sam. Some people just have an eye for those details. Unfortunately, it all seems to blow right over my head! I love finding the discoveries you and RC are able to make in your viewing. Kudos!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#55 Post by miltontheripper »

Have to say this is one of my favorite episodes not only of season 3 but of the entire series. Laughed the whole way through! TM in the armor is outstanding.

wilko
Captain

#56 Post by wilko »

Noticed this flub 8)

When Magnum catches the Grim Reaper closing the safe after removing the will, he tells him to put it down which he does, on the mantle. The Reaper refuses to move away from the safe and then shortens Magnum's walking stick before knocking him over and leaving the room............without picking up the will from the mantle!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This was a pretty good episode...somewhat bizarre or strange, and something different. But, enjoyable just the same.

Some of the supposed dead man's relatives were a little over the top, and the ultimate plot twist of the guy faking his death was somewhat predictable...but there were some decent spooky moments when Magnum knew someone else had been in the house, and I loved the very end when Magnum and Carlton freak the guy out and he thinks they're going to shoot him. :lol:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Seaver41 »

always liked this episode....and Donnelly Rhodes from his days on 'Soap'.

Bes
Commander

#59 Post by Bes »

A classic episode which subverts the staple 'famliy inheritence murder mystery' plot by inferring there was no murder plot! Very funny and Roscoe is a legend; he was also great in The Cowboys and the excellent '80s cartoon Visionaries.

RocketMan
Ensign

#60 Post by RocketMan »

First post!

I am surprised by all the love for this episode. Having just watched the first three seasons in their entirety for the first time, I rank this one near the bottom of the barrel. Only the awful backdoor pilot Two Birds of a Feather "rises" below this one, in my book.

When the plane took off in the beginning, I thought: "Okay, it's going to explode." Yep, it did.

Then I thought: "He isn't dead, he's trying to find out who of his relatives would off him for the inheritance." Strike two.

Usually, Magnum episodes are really surprising and confound all my expectations, but this was just so predictable and boring.

Even at the very end, my thoughts were: "They're not going to shoot him, they just want to scare the living daylights out of him." Strike three, you're out. Lame.

The three greedy relatives were shallow, cardboard cut-out characters instead of fully fleshed out ones.

Even the humour in this one didn't tickle me. Usually, Magnum is rather clever and subtle, with much of the laughs springing from wonderful character interplay and delightful dialogue - but this one had low-brow slapstick (enough with the armour already, take it off!) and cheap sight gags. It seemed to me that Rick's and T.C.'s outlandish costumes were just there for one quick laugh. Once they had arrived at the party, they didn't do much to further the plot.

Don't get me wrong, Magnum's a near-perfect series, and I'm glad you all liked this episode - I'm just a bit surprised that I seem to be the only one who felt seriously let down.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

RocketMan wrote:I am surprised by all the love for this episode. Having just watched the first three seasons in their entirety for the first time, I rank this one near the bottom of the barrel. Only the awful backdoor pilot Two Birds of a Feather "rises" below this one, in my book.
It's just one of those goofy, offbeat, humorous episodes that make for a welcome change to the "normal" ones. It has a rather unusual plot that makes for some great scenes. It also has two GREAT guest stars in Donnelly Rhodes and Roscoe Lee Browne! Throw in one of the best Magnum/Higgins scenes ever ("I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent.") and the masquerade ball scene, and, well, you got yourself an episode that is endearing to many people.

But everyone takes away something different from each episode. One of the things that makes Magnum so great is that it has a little bit of something for everybody. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I'm seriously let up on this ep. In my top five.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Braddah Kimo »

delete....
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I am surprised by all the love for this episode."
Don't be. Cuz it ain't so. Love is what one feels for a member of the opposite sex, when there is extreme attraction.

"i'm just a bit surprised that i seem to be the only one who felt seriously let down."
if it is "just a bit surprised," well then, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Mostly because when one reaches adulthood, one sees that there is a plethora of differing perspectives regarding everything in life. But we will wait patiently for you to come to that conclusion when you enter the big bad world out there.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketMan
Ensign

#65 Post by RocketMan »

Dear Mr. Kimo,

Thank you so much for this condescending reply. If I had known that opinions different from your own irk you so much, I would have refrained from posting. Oh, and I suggest going easy on the smartass juice from now on.

Ta!