1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 112

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#11 Post by SelleckLover »

Italian Ice wrote:
Who could forget the costumes. Rick's was a good one. I admit that I was forced to be Magenta from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, so I admire Rick's courage for the costumes he's worn in the series!
This is what my husband tells me is what good actors do. Contrary to some of the opinions of Larry Manetti's acting, it's all about stepping out of your "comfort zone" and doing stuff you as a person wouldn't ordinarily do, for your craft, if you will. (I could cite Mr. Selleck's kissing Kevin Kline on the lips in In And Out as a good example of this.) Stuff like that is believable because it is in line with the character you are playing. When a person attends acting school, this is one of the things that is taught right off the bat. I have read this quote that is attributed to TS, many times: "As an actor, if you don't take risks, you probably won't be a very good one." So I don't think Larry had to have a lot of courage to wear the costumes, he was doing it for his craft. JMHO!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#12 Post by Italian Ice »

Actually, that's what I meant. Larry's character in the show didn't want to do that, Larry himself, of course, would. This would include TS being your knight in shining armor no doubt!

I can't believe I don't remember seeing this one......
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

Italian Ice wrote:
This would include TS being your knight in shining armor no doubt!
Absolutely!!! :D

AJL
Commander

#14 Post by AJL »

One of my favourite episodes. Being a fan of english crime/mystery shows, I thought it was fun to see the MPI crew in a setting somewhat like that.Great all around; though it annoyed me that TM didn't take the money he was offered in the end, and instead smashed something irreplacable. I mean, if he didn't want the money he could just have given them to charity, better than that selfish idiot having them.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#15 Post by Italian Ice »

Or he could have kept some to pay Rick's bar tab and TC's gas bills for awhile. Or to pay people for information, lol (Higgens: "No wonder he's always broke!")

He could have always thrown a rock in the window later on, lol But TM has always been ethical and can't be bribed.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

I'll call this one The Strange Case of the Teleporting Butler. In the pictures below you'll notice Carlton is standing and looking at Higgins speak to Magnum (who is out of frame to the right). Then in the very next frame he somehow managed to get behind Higgins (at right). He moved maybe 8 or 10 feet in a split second! And he did it without Higgins even noticing. He must be a really good butler.

Just guessing, but maybe in the shooting of the scene, Higgins had Carlton excuse himself while Higgins got somewhat personal in complementing Magnum's character (to trap Magnum into making a charitable donation). Then in editing, for some reason they decided not to show Carlton being excused and moving away. In the second picture it seems as if they zoomed in on Higgins to try to make Carlton less obvious over his shoulder. The picture quality has noticeably more grain to it. They seemed to have then also zoomed in on Magnum for that part of the scene.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:... The Strange Case of the Teleporting Butler... He must be a really good butler.
Saunders, Soap. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#18 Post by rubber chicken »

James, at first that comment went right over my head, producing a faint but undeniable *whooshing* sound. I didn't know, or had forgotten that he played the butler in that show. I must have devoted my alloted butler watching time to Benson.

Maybe sometime I should get the Soap DVDs from the library though. Is it odd that instead of current TV shows, I'd rather watch what was playing 20 to 30 years ago?

In fact, here's an idea that I would love. All the major networks from 30 years ago should devote channels to exactly what was playing all day long in the late 70s and 80s. So say right now I could turn to a channel and it would be a a whole day re-run of what was shown on December 30, 1978, thirty years ago. For the next eleven years we could relive our 1979 through 1989 TV experiences in real time. This would of course include late night talk shows, and Saturday morning cartoons.

Sound good? Or should I stop posting at 5:00am?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, Saunders replaced Benson on Soap when Benson left to get his own show.

Roscoe Lee Brown was an amazing man. He taught literature, French and English at Lincoln University in his 20's and then went into acting in his 30's where he soon made is mark in stage, film and voice work (with that unmistakable baritone voice), and later in television. He was a real leader in breaking new ground for African-American actors. He's won numerous awards. In addition to all that, he even broke the world record in the 800-yard dash in 1951! He sadly passed away last year at age 82.

I love your TV channel idea! That would be really cool, especially if they included the original commercials! :)

I guess it's no surprise that I also tend to prefer the older TV shows, the good ones anyway. There are just not that many modern shows that I like. I think technically shows of today are better (particularly in the editing department), but the "magic" is just there for a lot of them. Of course, there are also a lot of really bad "old" shows as well. I just think there are a higher percentage of bad shows today vs. then. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Steve »

Roscoe Lee Brown is one of those actors I could just watch sit on a stage and read a book. What a joy it must have been to have had him as a Literature Professor in College. By the way, I am watching this episode on our local retro station today, the station has become so popular with it's libray of shows from the 50's and on, that there is now three stations. And they do throw in the old commercials occasionally just for fun.....Me-TV

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Operation Chessboard »

rubber chicken wrote:James, at first that comment went right over my head, producing a faint but undeniable *whooshing* sound. I didn't know, or had forgotten that he played the butler in that show. I must have devoted my alloted butler watching time to Benson.

Maybe sometime I should get the Soap DVDs from the library though. Is it odd that instead of current TV shows, I'd rather watch what was playing 20 to 30 years ago?

In fact, here's an idea that I would love. All the major networks from 30 years ago should devote channels to exactly what was playing all day long in the late 70s and 80s. So say right now I could turn to a channel and it would be a a whole day re-run of what was shown on December 30, 1978, thirty years ago. For the next eleven years we could relive our 1979 through 1989 TV experiences in real time. This would of course include late night talk shows, and Saturday morning cartoons.

Sound good? Or should I stop posting at 5:00am?

They already have something like that on digital and satellite cable. It's called RTN (Retro Television Network). My digital cable service provider recently started carrying it. They run uncut Magnum, P.I. episodes every night at 9:00pm.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Do you know if RTN is on Directv? I may have to put abug in their ear to pick it up if not!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#23 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks for pointing that out. I just discovered RTN a few days ago when looking at channels a friend gets over the air with a new digital to analog converter box. The kind people without cable or satellite need for the digital switchover after February 17th. I guess I've been spending too much time on HD channels when I do watch TV.

Where I live RTN is provided over the air by NBC, and it's also on cable. Some people here on the forums might want to check out whether they can get RTN. If you're able to get it over the air it's free obviously. If I didn't have cable I'd watch that more than NBC, CBS etc.

I see from the programming list they have many great shows. I don't sit down in front of the TV much anymore, but I'll have to check out this channel more often.

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by Operation Chessboard »

A friend of mine was able to receive at least half a dozen RTN networks on satellite recently. However, as of January 5th, there is only one RTN channel available nationwide due to certain legal issues between two communications companies. Hopefully, everything will get resolved fairly soon. NBC does carry the only RTN channel that is presently airing, but their were satellite stations located throughout the country that pick their own schedules in terms of which shows they wanted to air and when to air them.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Frodoleader »

It is RTN that I have seen some of our favorite shows on (i.e. Erin Gray on Buck Rogers). The problem I have noticed is that it seems to run alot of infomercials instead of classic TV.

...sorry, we seemed to have drifted off topic here...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan