6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 112

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by zebra3 »

308GTS wrote:Having just watched this episode again I can honestly say that it still holds up so well, easily one the best of S3. Perfect, just perfect. One thing I did notice this time was when Magnum shot Wilson with the water pistol it seemed to be with some truly yukky brownish liquid, ew!

Anyway, just perfect viewing.
Over Did you see the Sunrise? Really dude?
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by 308GTS »

zebra3 wrote:
308GTS wrote:Having just watched this episode again I can honestly say that it still holds up so well, easily one the best of S3. Perfect, just perfect. One thing I did notice this time was when Magnum shot Wilson with the water pistol it seemed to be with some truly yukky brownish liquid, ew!

Anyway, just perfect viewing.
Over Did you see the Sunrise? Really dude?
Yes, many times but who's comparing, not me. They are both totally different in every way possible. This entire ep was a total laugh a minute, MPI at his comedic best, well almost. DYSTS is totally serious, at some points too serious and slightly ridiculous. The part where TC was doped up and almost posessed by the ridiculous Nuzo was a bit over the top, almost in A-Team terrority. Still a great 2 part ep and a fan fav, just not mine. I personally preferred the comedic and tragic elements of the show. Just my view dude!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by zebra3 »

Yeah the TC hypnotism scene was pretty ridiculous.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by steveadl »

Great episode! The scene with TM & Higgins in the study is just hillarious! The scream before he runs at the door, the delayed yell of pain, then the second scream at his next run - just brilliant!

Don't suppose there's a chance of having this scene put on the MM pages is there JJ?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, that would make for a great addition to the video clips page. A classic scene for sure! I'll get to it soon.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#46 Post by All About the Stache »

One of the best episodes of the season, no doubt! I gave it the highest grade possible. I wouldn't stop laughing at this one.

The episode did have a somewhat anticlimactic end though. Magnum didn't even do a proper investigation, yet he was confident no one would have killed the man? And the rich guy accepted it just like that? Feels a bit far-fetched.

Also, why was his nephew, the accountant, so worried over his spending He was good for 50 million dollars! No reason to panic yet, one might think.

If someone would have done that to me, believing I just inherited 50 million dollars then take it away from me I would have shot the bastard.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#47 Post by J.J. Walters »

All About the Stache wrote:Also, why was his nephew, the accountant, so worried over his spending He was good for 50 million dollars! No reason to panic yet, one might think.

If someone would have done that to me, believing I just inherited 50 million dollars then take it away from me I would have shot the bastard.
LOL! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#48 Post by J.J. Walters »

steveadl wrote:Great episode! The scene with TM & Higgins in the study is just hillarious! The scream before he runs at the door, the delayed yell of pain, then the second scream at his next run - just brilliant!

Don't suppose there's a chance of having this scene put on the MM pages is there JJ?
A little late, but I added the entire Masquerade Ball scene to the Video Clips page. The whole scene is just great - the costumes, the music, Magnum clanking around in a full suit of armor, Higgins ("I recall reading about this knight in the Crusades who was chasing this Saracen woman. It seems he tripped and fell on his back while amorously aroused and eventually starved to death."), the Grim Reaper who looks like Darth Sidious, Roscoe Lee Browne. :)
Jean-Claude Fornier wrote:Absolutely. On today, a french TV was broadcasting an episode of "Murder she wrote" and it stroke me too. This episode (Test of Wills, season 6, ep. 9, 1989) was a bit similar to Magnum's "Of sound mind".
A bit similar? The plot is almost exactly the same! Eccentric multi-millionaire fakes death and will, Jessica is lead to believe she will inherit $50 million dollars, squabbling wealthy family members... They left out the masquerade ball, so I guess that's something.

The MSW episode also features one Cassie Yates. :!:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Sam »

I just now realized that the "Masquerade Ball" scene was filmed at St Andrews Cathedral.
It would be used 4 episodes later in "I Do" as the reception area.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#50 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:I just now realized that the "Masquerade Ball" scene was filmed at St Andrews Cathedral.
It would be used 4 episodes later in "I Do" as the reception area.
Nice catch Sam!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#51 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, nice Sam! I assumed it was a set, but the windows certainly match up with the building at St. Andrew's!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Sam »

Styles and JJ,

It came to me when I watched the Masquerade Ball scene.When TM and Carlton are greeting the guests,I noticed the arches in the passageway which I know are at St Andy's.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Classic episode!

#53 Post by nha trang »

I really love this episode. I think it is escapism at it's finest, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Part of the draw of Magnum PI is the escapism element for the viewer, hot car, mansion, great friends, excitement etc. This episode takes it to another level, because the story unfolds as TM (temporarily) lands a windfall of his own. Something most of us can relate to who dream of winning the lottery and well...errr...buying Robin's nest..hahah.

I think it's episodes like this that helped build this Magnum PI world, the archetype, that we all enjoy.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#54 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:Styles and JJ,

It came to me when I watched the Masquerade Ball scene.When TM and Carlton are greeting the guests,I noticed the arches in the passageway which I know are at St Andy's.
Wow Sam. Some people just have an eye for those details. Unfortunately, it all seems to blow right over my head! I love finding the discoveries you and RC are able to make in your viewing. Kudos!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#55 Post by miltontheripper »

Have to say this is one of my favorite episodes not only of season 3 but of the entire series. Laughed the whole way through! TM in the armor is outstanding.