6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 112

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Does anybody happen to know what kind of gun this is?

Magnum calls it a "17th Century duelling pistol" (which seems to be correct). Carlton further adds that it is a "Lipscomb". I can't seem to find anything online about a "Lipscomb" duelling pistol.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by 308GTS »

Great, great fun episode. Way back in 1984 when it first aired I taped it of course and along with Woman On The Beach it was the most viewed episode in my household. I must have watched it at least 10 times during that summer! Excellent and easily one of my favs.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote:Does anybody happen to know what kind of gun this is?

Magnum calls it a "17th Century duelling pistol" (which seems to be correct). Carlton further adds that it is a "Lipscomb". I can't seem to find anything online about a "Lipscomb" duelling pistol.
I have no idea what that gun is, other than its basic type; which is a flintlock (you can tell by the flashpan). They made flintlocks for like 200 years, most of which looked roughly the same, and most of which were made by companies or individual gunsmiths, that few people these days have ever even heard of. I'm sure there are people out there who could identify an old flintlock pistol by sight, but I'm not one of them. That particular one is probably a modern replica too; and it may not even be a replica of anything specific; kind of like if you buy a muzzle loader from Cabela's; it looks like something that could have been around a couple hundred years ago, but it's just a generic "old-fashioned" design.

Regarding the "Colt .45 vintage 1860" that is mentioned by Carlton in that same scene; well that's a screwup. The gun Carlton is holding is a Colt Model P revolver, AKA: Colt Single Action Army (SAA). This gun was introduced in 1873, and if you've ever watched old westerns, you'll be very familiar with this gun.

There was a Colt 1860 "Army" revolver, but it was an open-top cap & ball revolver, plus it was a .44. The funny thing is, there were some open top cap & ball revolvers in the case which could have been Colt 1860 Army revolvers (or at least could have passed for them in non-closeup shots); but Carton didn't decide to pick one of them up; he picked up the unmistakeable Colt SAA; perhaps the most famous gun in the world. If you're going to get something wrong, it is better to do it on something obscure, like that "Lipscomb", than with something like an SAA (the only gun which rivals the SAA's fame is the 1911).

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dang, you are the man Max! Very interesting! Thanks!

And here I thought "Of Sound Mind" was one of the few "flubless" episodes. Not any more! ;)
308GTS wrote:Great, great fun episode. Way back in 1984 when it first aired I taped it of course and along with Woman On The Beach it was the most viewed episode in my household. I must have watched it at least 10 times during that summer! Excellent and easily one of my favs.
Yeah, this is one my favorites, too! I probably should have included it in my Top 10.

The "will reading" scene (always cracks me up), the Ball, the Walker Estate, and that GREAT denouement! I remember when this episode originally aired; I really thought Magnum was going to shoot Wilson! LOL!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote:The "will reading" scene (always cracks me up), the Ball, the Walker Estate, and that GREAT denouement! I remember when this episode originally aired; I really thought Magnum was going to shoot Wilson! LOL!
BTW, the gun that Carlton, and then Magnum, is holding on Wilson at the end is also a Colt SAA; possibly the same one that Carlton took out of the gun cabinet earlier when incorrectly referring to it as "vintage 1860"; given that they both had 4-3/4" barrels.

The gun was real, and loaded with dummy bullets (not to be confused with blanks). However, during the closeup shot of the gun squirting Wilson, it is a fake gun; the bore is mostly plugged aside from the tiny hole for the water to come out, and the chambers in the cylinder are too small, and the gun is of course, not loaded with anything but water (because it is not a real gun). It is quite realistic looking for a squirt gun however. As soon as it cuts back to Magnum holding the gun after the closeup of the squirting, it is the real Colt SAA again.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#36 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, how odd!

Thanks again Max!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by 308GTS »

I also love the way that TM breaks the fourth wall just ever so slightly right at the end when he walks off with Carlton. He gives the camera the eye just as it freezes.

What a super episode, I can watch this one over and over.
Arun
------

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by AmandaByNight »

I don't think I could add anymore than what's been said, but I'd like to say this is one of my all time favorite episodes. I never fail to burst out in laughter when Magnum is in his suit of armor trying to bust down that door. It's hilarious. This one of those great pick-me-up episodes that makes me smile endlessly...

I love Donnelly Rhodes too and for reason, never pieced it together that both he and Brown were both on SOAP.

Also, a nod to Elaine Joyce who is great here and is a favorite of mine on Match Game!

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#39 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Hi, all. Some time I did not participate ... So, here I am, back on track.
Carol the Dabbler wrote:It actually strikes me as one of the lighter Murder, She Wrote types of plot, with no real attempt at realism (no FAA investigation? no search for a body?). I can just see Jessica as the astonished heir. The broken-leg angle would have worked well for that season when Angela Lansbury actually did have a broken leg or badly-sprained ankle or whatever it was (or am I thinking of some other actress in some other series? -- I can't seem to find any references to this situation).
Absolutely. On today, a french TV was broadcasting an episode of "Murder she wrote" and it stroke me too. This episode (Test of Wills, season 6, ep. 9, 1989) was a bit similar to Magnum's "Of sound mind". Unfortunately, I had to go and I could not watch the full episode but after some searches, I found this :
Multi-millionaire Henry Reynard met Jessica on a book judging panel and invited her to his private island to earn a $1,000,000 check for a charity of her choice. However to her horror, she must help find out which of Henry's intestate heirs intends to kill him: son Jason, daughter Valery, granddaughter Kim and their partners. Jessica refuses, but while she stays for the weekend Dr. Hubbard Dabney finds Henry has been shot. The heirs are appalled the $50,000,000 estate goes to - Jessica. Later Preston, Kim's fiancé, whom a P.I. report (found in Henry's desk) exposed as a fraud, is found shot in the pool-house. Now Henry reemerges, he staged his death with the doc's help and installed some hidden cameras. Jessica is disgusted but helps sheriff Brademus wrap up the investigation. Written by KGF Vissers
source :
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653628/plotsummary
''MurderSheWrote'' episode "Test of Wills": Jessica Fletcher is called in by a wealthy man to find out which of his heirs is trying to kill him. When he suddenly dies, she tries to discover the murderer. In the end it turns out that [[spoiler:the man only pretended to die, in order to smoke out the killer]].
source :
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ion=source

About the private island, the death of the rich man, the will, the enquiry, etc.. it reminds me too a bit of Magnum's episode "Murder by Night" (7.14)

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by 308GTS »

Having just watched this episode again I can honestly say that it still holds up so well, easily one the best of S3. Perfect, just perfect. One thing I did notice this time was when Magnum shot Wilson with the water pistol it seemed to be with some truly yukky brownish liquid, ew!

Anyway, just perfect viewing.
Arun
------

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by zebra3 »

308GTS wrote:Having just watched this episode again I can honestly say that it still holds up so well, easily one the best of S3. Perfect, just perfect. One thing I did notice this time was when Magnum shot Wilson with the water pistol it seemed to be with some truly yukky brownish liquid, ew!

Over Did you see the Sunrise? Really dude?
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by 308GTS »

zebra3 wrote:
308GTS wrote:Having just watched this episode again I can honestly say that it still holds up so well, easily one the best of S3. Perfect, just perfect. One thing I did notice this time was when Magnum shot Wilson with the water pistol it seemed to be with some truly yukky brownish liquid, ew!

Over Did you see the Sunrise? Really dude?
Yes, many times but who's comparing, not me. They are both totally different in every way possible. This entire ep was a total laugh a minute, MPI at his comedic best, well almost. DYSTS is totally serious, at some points too serious and slightly ridiculous. The part where TC was doped up and almost posessed by the ridiculous Nuzo was a bit over the top, almost in A-Team terrority. Still a great 2 part ep and a fan fav, just not mine. I personally preferred the comedic and tragic elements of the show. Just my view dude!
Arun
------

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by zebra3 »

Yeah the TC hypnotism scene was pretty ridiculous.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by steveadl »

Great episode! The scene with TM & Higgins in the study is just hillarious! The scream before he runs at the door, the delayed yell of pain, then the second scream at his next run - just brilliant!

Don't suppose there's a chance of having this scene put on the MM pages is there JJ?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, that would make for a great addition to the video clips page. A classic scene for sure! I'll get to it soon.

Thanks