6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 106

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Frodoleader »

A couple of things about this episode. First, did anyone think it was strange that Tozan walked around Honolulu carrying two swords? Personally I think he would be arrested within minutes today. Also, for the fight at the hanger, when all those ninjas came pouring out of the limo, first thing to come to my mind was a bunch of clowns coming out of a small clown car. Cracked me up!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Frodoleader wrote:Also, for the fight at the hanger, when all those ninjas came pouring out of the limo, first thing to come to my mind was a bunch of clowns coming out of a small clown car. Cracked me up!
Ditto.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

another really good episode in season 3.............though the whole bit of beating up Magnum at the hotel was lost on me.

Bes
Commander

#34 Post by Bes »

Great episode! The plate smashing scene and the scene in the bathhouse are funny too, when the ladies snigger while Magnum de-towels himself [don't think they've been mentioned yet].

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#35 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

rubber chicken wrote:I didn't care for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles either. Skateboarding turtles who learn the art of ninjutsu from a rat? Come on, what are the odds. To me, that show and everything surrounding it was a bit phony.
You're trying to say it wasn't a documentary?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"Seth Sakai is used AGAIN. it seems that just about every time they needed someone to play a Japanese villain, they turned to him!"
Just think how you would feel if you were a Hawaii five o fan. he musta owned stock in that show.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: The Arrow That is Not Aimed (3.14)

#37 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

At the beginning of the episode Higgins blames TM because he found some dog repellent spray on the mantle of the GH, while he was retrieving Mr. Masters' wide-angle lens.
TM: ... what's that have to do with you spraying that stuff in my face?
-JH: Dog repellent.
-TM: Dog repellent?
-JH: I was just giving you a taste of what you've been giving the lads. No wonder they detest you so.
I thought you'd gotten rid of this substance. You gave me your word.
-TM: I did?
JH: You did.

This is a reference to the dialogue occurred in the episode 'One More Summer (2.17)' when JH found the same animal repellent in the GH, while he was retrieving Robin Masters' camera:
-JH: Animal repellent? What on earth are you doing with animal repellent? The lads. How dare you!
-TM: Oh, come on, Higgins. I was on this case, and I had to take care of these watchdogs.
-JH: Anyway, it was a good six months ago.
-TM: I just simply forgot to throw it out.
-JH: No wonder they dislike you so intensely. How beastly. How savage...

very funny! :D
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#38 Post by marlboro »

rubber chicken wrote:I didn't care for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles either. Skateboarding turtles who learn the art of ninjutsu from a rat? Come on, what are the odds.
50/50. Tops.

Useless trivia (that is probably on Wikipedia anyway): The TMNT's started out as a comic book. They parodied the popular comic book trends of the early 80's

Teenagers: DC's Teen Titans

Mutants: Marvel's X-Men

Ninjas: Marvels Daredevil faced off time and again against a group of ninjas called "The Hand." The Turtle's had "The Foot Clan."

Anamorphic critters like Dave Sim's Cerebus.

As for this Magnum episode...I wasn't too crazy about it. I just find the idea of a samurai walking around too odd. I did find it hilarious that the bad guy rolls through town in a limo full of ninjas. You do NOT want to cut that guy off in traffic.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#39 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I liked the idea of using Ninja as villians, but the overall plot wasn't my favorite. Really, they were fighting over a plate. I was surprised being based in Hawaii they didn't explore more ninja and/or samauri stories. Higgins also seemed really calm about someone about to perform ritual suicide on the estate. Wouldn't Robin Masters frown upon something like that? I'm sure the media would've hammered him for that.

magnum1911
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#40 Post by magnum1911 »

This is one of my top 5 favorite episodes. Not sure why. Just really enjoy it. I like the part where TM tells Tozan that he will whistle to signal him. Tozan looks confused. And TM says " you have your history, and I have mine". Or something to that effect.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Milton Collins »

This is a good solid episode, an 8 for me.

- The Tozan character has grown on me the more I've watched this one. I think it was interesting how he taught TM some things and vice versa.

- I totally enjoyed the ninjas and the ridiculous music that played when they were on screen, very fun!

- Good old Rodney Radcliff (whoever plays the antique salesman in this, Rodney Radcliffe in season 6 "Old Acquaintance", and the sailor in season 1 "China Doll")
makes another appearance! I like this role and the season 1 role, I HATE the Rodney Radcliffe character!

- The bath/massage parlor scene cracks me up. Magnum is so clearly EXTREMELY uncomfortable while Tozan feels right at home, hilarious!

- The end of this episode with Big Hig wielding the Samurai sword at Magnum is priceless, one of my favorite endings of the series lol.

Season 3 is so full of great episodes that maybe I lowballed this one at an 8 but regardless a very fun episode!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KingKC »

I remember this one not for the ninjas but for the suspense, if you will, that a Magnum, PI episode might have an "honorable" suicide. There was a close call in The Taking of Dick McWilliams and by this time in the series you did not know what to expect for the ending of an episode. I think not knowing what to expect, especially with the ever changing weekly plots, was one of the addictive aspects of MPI.

KingKC

Turkey
Admiral

#43 Post by Turkey »

Another great episode - heaps to like, especially the ending :D
Make it two weeks.

f14peter
Lieutenant

#44 Post by f14peter »

Wow, long time no post on this ep!

I liked this one when I watched it oh so many years ago, and found myself liking it a bit more when I saw it the other night.

I loved the part when Magnum and Tozan are in the hospital and after Magnum introduces Tozan as "my partner". On two occasions, when Magnum crosses his arms, you can see Tozan notice and then cross his arms ...

jeffran
Captain

#45 Post by jeffran »

Another top 10 episode for me (and a rating of 9.5), from a season full of top 10 episodes. Not much more to add to what others have said, Mako is terrific and makes me believe he's a modern-day Samurai.

I've had Saki a few times, and didn't find it particularly potent, not more potent than grape wine anyway. Maybe there are more potent varieties.