5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 101

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Not the best for sure

#41 Post by nha trang »

I had the misfortune of watching this episode again because I'm watching the episodes in sequence and I sometimes catch one on in syndication.

The only parts of this episode I like are the basketball scene with TC and Magnum (also because it features in the beginning montage - at least for some episodes - kind of a game I play to identify every episode from the montage clips), and magnum making higgins fill his glass up to the top because he's an adult, made me laugh anyway.

This is the second negative review I've given this week, also on "Solo Flight," but I guess both seemed to fall victim to sappy writing, an excuse for thinking. They could have made this one a "Brady Bunch" crossover episode if it weren't for the anachronism involved.

I guess it also has a creepy factor, but more of a vomit factor, so sappy with higgins and magnum wining and dining the poorly written Charles Dickens character.

No offense to the (late) actress, it was the writer's fault.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#42 Post by miltontheripper »

Agreed, this is an aweful episode (except for the Magnum vs TC one on one match, loved it!). Good acting by "Willie" but bad plot and creepy foster parents, yuk! One of the worst of the entire show.

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#43 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

J.J. Walters wrote:What in the world is this?

Is it ever seen again?
Is this used in Birdman of Budapest too?

I absolutely loved the Magnum vs TC basketball session, one of my all time favourite magnum moments :D

Had no idea Dana had passed away or that she was 19 at the time, wow. RIP.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Don't like this one much...dumb and boring. :( An annoying, and somewhat ugly kid, setting up people to be robbed for her "bad" foster parents is not really what I consider to be worthy of a "Magnum" episode. :?

It's just kind of boring and I can't really get into it...I usually end up doing something else while it's on when I go through the show. This, as well as "Two Birds of a Feather" and "I Do?" are probably my least favorite of season 3.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Sisophous »

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The best episodes are the most simple ones. When too many characters are introduced, and the plot twists and turns constantly it loses my attention. If you look at the highest rated episodes, they are all quite simple. This episode while goofy, is unusual. I found the opening scene to be hilarious when Dana Hill fakes injury to con a motorist out of money.

I could tell there was something going on with her as her body looked so young but her acting skills were that of a young adult. I too was shocked to find out she passed away shortly after watching this episode for the first time several months ago after reading the short bio of her on the IMDB. I would think her illness was manageable especially for someone so young but perhaps not so back in the 80s.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Frodoleader »

I echo the comments regarding Dana Hill as posted here. I seem to recall she had a small role in a TV minisreies starring Elizabeth Montgomery called "the Awakening Land". I recall her role was small but had an major impact on the plot.
Another thing that impressed me about this episode was the scene where Thomas & TC played one-on-one. There were no stunt doubles used in that scene!
:D
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Frodoleader »

Okay I just looked up on IMDB for the Awakening Land and did not see Dana Hill listed in the cast. Must have imagined it. Sorry, my mistake.
:(
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Doc Fred
Admiral

#48 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Dana Hill is fantastic in this episode. A perfect part for her. She won the Young Artist Award for Best Young Actress, Guest in a Television Series, despite the fact that she was actually 19 when she filmed this episode. Very sad that she died so young from diabetes complications.
It's difficult to believe she was 19 at the time... she looked like she was no more than an early teen at most... And, she did have skills with a basketball...

Truly sad she passed so early....

Doc Fred
Admiral

#49 Post by Doc Fred »

IslandHopper wrote:
The other aspect that made this episode seem more authentic was the fact that Willie (Dana Hill) was actually a good basketball player. There have been episodes where an actor is supposed to be portraying a professional athlete and you can tell they are not very good. In "Mixed Doubles" you could tell the Carrie Reardon character couldn't play tennis very well although she was supposed to be the #2 female player in the world. They tried to hide the fact that she wasn't very good by having close-up shots of her hitting the tennis ball. However, you can still tell that most of the balls she was hitting were going high and off to the right probably on to the other court. Same for the Ginger Leah Grant character, however, she didn't seem quite as bad as Carrie Reardon. In "Squeeze Play" Lola Stenhauser was supposed to play "a mean second base." However, in reality, she was not very good at all. This phenomenon is evident in many different TV series, and movies, not just MPI. Again, Dana Hill's ability to dribble and shoot well provided authenticity.
Do I agree with that! They should always get someone who can at least look good when they're portraying an athlete... Having a non-athletic person play the part of an athlete takes away from what's happening.

It was clear that TS and TC are athletic... very much so. Rick?... ha,ha,ha,ha...

Doc Fred
Admiral

#50 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Really? Willie is one of my very favorite episode characters. A tough, streetwise, basketball whiz, grifter-child with a heart. Her scenes with Magnum almost bring me to tears. It's painfully obvious how much she wishes to break free of her foster parents and live with somebody as honorable and kind as Thomas Magnum. And at the end, she passed up the game-winning shot to pass the ball to a teammate. For me, Willie is a unique and memorable character.

I'm with you... It would have been nice if we somehow found out what happened to Willie... The show ended knowing the foster parents would be either in jail or out of the picture with her. Perhaps a later show featuring Willie, even if as a side event, would have been merited.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Sisophous »

Doc Fred wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:
They should always get someone who can at least look good when they're portraying an athlete... Having a non-athletic person play the part of an athlete takes away from what's happening.
I agree but it is the norm rather than the exception to see actors and actresses who are poorly coordinated playing the role of a star athlete. The most ridiculous portrayal of athletes are often baseball pitchers who clearly have the coordination of a tree stump.

This episode is unique to see an actress who was actually coordinated and fit the role perfectly. I also like the role Magnum played, not kissing up to Willie and treating her no differently than any of the other players. Higgins had a soft spot for Willie and a different approach from Magnum. The contrast in styles made this a fun view.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Seaver41 »

Dana was definitely one of the more memorable Magnum guest stars and the episode is decent at best. The whole foster family subplot is real thin. They tap so lightly on the coercive 'abuse' she was under.

I honestly felt the episode could've ended at the estate when the trap was sprung.

snp389
Captain

#53 Post by snp389 »

Cool episode.
Great light-hearted competition between TSM & TC.
The ever moralistic, honourable and wise JQH.
Dana Hill was great! I had no idea she had diabetes, and it had stunted her growth. Sad all around.
I loved the scene where the 'Lads' are watching the kids training...their heads turning back and forth observing the action.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:Dana Hill is fantastic in this episode. A perfect part for her. She won the Young Artist Award for Best Young Actress, Guest in a Television Series, despite the fact that she was actually 19 when she filmed this episode. Very sad that she died so young from diabetes complications.
I too thought Dana Hill did a great job in this episode, nothing really earth moving here, but the interactions between the teenager Dana Hill and Higgins were unusual as was the opening con job by Dana Hill faking an injury in a car accident to extort money from the driver. This episode was idiotic but still plain fun. This episode first aired February 3, 1983, and was likely shot months earlier. I think Dana Hill was just age 18 when this was shot, her DOB is May 6, 1964. The video clips I have on this episode featuring Dana Hill are on the long side, running just under 14 minutes.

After turning on your speakers/audio, open the video link below, select 480p quality and the middle size video is best.

http://youtu.be/3hYo-Gt0duE

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Basket Case (3.15)

#55 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Tonite COZI tv will run its thursday Magnum bloc.
At 11 pm it will run Basket Case. Last April when it ran it, the title appeared only it was billed as "Free Throw".
I thought the young lead actress in it was terrific and tried to look up this episode to find more info which lead me to Magnum Mania, but of course "Free Throw" wasnt much help when it's official title was something else.
Anyway JJ has done a terrific job with this site and I thank him for his efforts. Mike