6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 108

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

James J. Walters wrote:A macaw can't possibly fight through the downdraft of the rotor blades, so the scene is a flub!
Maybe the bird was *so* scared that he flew 'way up *above* the helicopter, then was pulled *down* by the aforementioned downdraft? :roll:

I didn't make Hubby stop and replay the attack scene, but it sure didn't look like Tom Selleck who was being clawed by that macaw. But, hey, that's what stunt doubles get paid for!

The plot outline (straight off the DVD page that you have to go through to play the episode) is a real spoiler! It basically gives away the climactic point where Magnum discovers that "Elizabeth" isn't really Elizabeth. Bad DVD!!!

The ending struck me as just a bit facile. Here's a trained KGB agent who has trailed her prey halfway around the world. She's holding a gun on him -- he's at her mercy. Then her macaw gets minced, and she just falls apart!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's something strange (as if this episode needs more "strange" moments). Selleck and Jacqueline Ray (Ms. Roebuck) divorced in 1982 after 12 years of marriage. This episode was filmed in 1982 (not sure if it was before or after the divorce). All of the scenes they have together are antagonistic in nature; She's yelling at him, he's yelling at her. Then later, she vandalizes the Ferrari by blowing a hole through the windscreen with a gun.

How awkward and uncomfortable it must have been for the two of them to film these scenes.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#18 Post by SelleckLover »

James wrote:
How awkward and uncomfortable it must have been for the two of them to film these scenes.
Not necessarily. My husband (of 35 years) and his first wife are friends to this day. We see her at family gatherings, etc., and I really like and get along with her really well. They both acknowledge that their marriage was a mistake and have moved on, and harbor no resentment toward each other. Another kind of weird twist, her son and our son are the same age and grew up together. They still "hang out" with each other! Not all divorces are bitter ones.

I've also read (in all my extensive print memorabilia) when TS is asked about his divorce, he kind of gives the impression that it was a mutual thing, and and heaps praise on her for keeping his relationship alive with his stepson, Kevin, which was very important to him. What a classy guy!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#19 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'd expect nothing but class from TS!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

No doubt, but it still must have been a little bit awkward/uncomfortable given the timing of it and all.

Anyway, I've got another entry from the interesting-hawaiian-locals-who-have-appeared-in-Magnum P.I. department. Meet longtime comedian/musician Mel Cabang, the taxi driver who helps with Ms. Barrett's luggage...

"He's often described as "Hawaii's answer" to Redd Foxx or Don Rickles."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh3gmHWSH_o

8)

A P Leyland
Captain

#21 Post by A P Leyland »

I didn't think anything about laws pf physics, or what a Macaw can or can't do in flight...

I was too busy laughing :P

Andy

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#22 Post by Doc Ibold »

A P Leyland wrote:I didn't think anything about laws pf physics, or what a Macaw can or can't do in flight...

I was too busy laughing :P

Andy
Showed my dad this ep last night on his B-Day and he couldn't stop laughing at the ending!

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#23 Post by kudubuck »

Here's something that I just realized. I may be real, real slow but Doctor Tessa used to be Doctor No. Another couple of cups of coffee and I'll be dangerous.
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#24 Post by Italian Ice »

I can't believe how Higgins tolerated Elizabeth staying at the estate....

Higgins: Magnum if you don't find Tessa soon you're going to have to cal 5-0
Magnum: 5-0? Why?
Higgins: Because if she's not gone soon I'm going to commit murder

By the way, I may have missed it, but I'm assuming that Higgens and Elizabeth haven't met in person before. I also don't know why he didn't look at her picture in Robins High School yearbook. Of course, and also mentioned, this would also prove that Higgins isn't Robin.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

VM02
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by VM02 »

Wow. It never dawned on me that Dr NO = Dr Tessa.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Late with today’s review – I’ve been to see ‘Star Trek’ with a relation. For whatever reason, I never really paid attention to this episode much before, so it offered something new when watching it this time around.

[rating=8.5]

Robin Master’s eccentric old teacher and mentor comes to stay at the Estate. Soon, she is driving Higgins mad with her behaviour, and he pleads with Magnum to help her find a man for a book she is supposedly writing. Not a classic, but better than I expected…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

I’ve had every episode of ‘Magnum, p.i.’ for some years now, even before the series was released on DVD. But for some reason, this episode rather slipped me by. I recorded it, and I obviously watched it at some point, but for whatever reason, it was one that I never really took in first time around. Which wasn’t all bad, as it offered something new to me when I came to review it (unlike most other episodes, which I’ve watched over numerous times).

I’ve heard some fans say that they don’t like this episode much. Granted, it is far from a MPI classic, but personally I thought it had some good moments, and generally wasn’t a bad episode at all.

From the off, we know there is going to be some development or revelation with Robin’s supposed old teacher, Elizabeth Barrett. Sylvia Sidney plays the part well, and is really good at winding Higgins up, giving us some great Higgins moments.

As with other episodes, the opening trailer doesn’t give away too many spoilers about the plot, but sadly most of the episode synopsises give away Elizabeth’s plan to murder Dr. Tessa.

Highlight of the episode is Higgins’ Peregrine Falcon call, and the hilarious effect it has at the climax – sending Elizabeth’s beloved parrot flying into the blades of T.C.’s chopper. Okay, there are arguments that a bird couldn’t fly through the strong downdraft of the chopper’s blades, but it’s a moment that’s not to be taken too seriously, and just enjoyed for what it is.

This is far from a MPI classic, and certainly doesn’t match up to some of the other greats of the excellent third season, but on it’s own, I don’t find this a bad episode at all; there are certainly worse episodes, both in seasons five and six, and in the third season too (need I mention ‘Mixed Doubles’?)

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* A rarity – nothing else to say about this episode.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#27 Post by Agatha »

I know I should look before I post but I've had a busy day, am about to hit the sack and don't want to move quite yet....

Isn't there a mention about Hungarian acrobats in Past Tense when Thomas and Rick break into TC's office to see if they can figure out who...besides Higgins...went up with him that day? Seems like Thomas broke the window in the door and Rick asked him why he didn't pick the lock and Thomas says that TC pick-proofed it because of the Hungarian acrobats...???

...or am I already asleep and dreaming???

G'nite!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Agatha wrote:Isn't there a mention about Hungarian acrobats in Past Tense when Thomas and Rick break into TC's office to see if they can figure out who...besides Higgins...went up with him that day?
Yep, that's when we first hear about the mysterious "Hungarian Acrobats"!
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Okay, there are arguments that a bird couldn’t fly through the strong downdraft of the chopper’s blades
Hehe! I tell ya, nothing cheers me up more than reading discussions on whether or not a Macaw can fly through the downdraft of a flying chopper (even if it wanted to)! LOL! Gets me every time! :)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

James J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Okay, there are arguments that a bird couldn’t fly through the strong downdraft of the chopper’s blades
Hehe! I tell ya, nothing cheers me up more than reading discussions on whether or not a Macaw can fly through the downdraft of a flying chopper (even if it wanted to)! LOL! Gets me every time! :)
It's what makes the series so enjoyable! :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#30 Post by Doc Ibold »

"Whoops"

:lol: