6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 94

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#11 Post by SelleckLover »

My husband and I were married in 1973 and we had a double ringer. :D Not trying to prove a point here, I'm just saying.... :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

I have to go with the "single ring" idea. I'm on my third husband (maybe I should be Golfie Mame . . . .) and my first husband (1971) wore a wedding ring, my second (1984) did not, and my third (1992) does. So, while I think it would have made more sense and a more viable "pretend" marriage if he did wear one just for the episode and his "cover," I don't see that as a major flub.

So I'm not saying it was necessarily more prevalent for a groom NOT to wear one in the 1980s, but it was possible that the bride was the only one who was given a ring. As I said, my 1980s marriage did not have one for the groom. I think a lot of this was caused by the "freedom" that became to be "allowed" in the 1980s where the wife didn't have to take the husband's last name and the husband didn't have to wear a ring (particularly if it would be a problem in his career -- TV star, welder, private investigator trying to be undercover, etc. . . . . ) However, if you're trying to "fake" a marriage, there should be a ring for each. So I'd vote this as a non-issue for a flub -- too many options available, if you see what I mean.

JMO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IH, thanks for the info on Magnum's reaction to "Private Detective." I haven't seen the episode you mentioned for several years, so I didn't remember that part. I guess I will have to restate my earlier comment to say that it would have been an even worse flub if Magnum had referred to himself as a "Private Eye"!

Apparently, double-ring weddings were fairly common a few decades earlier than I thought -- Wikipedia says "... by the late 1940s, double-ring ceremonies made up for 80% of all weddings...." But newspaper accounts of weddings still tended to mention either "single-ring" or "double-ring" long after the late forties, certainly into the 70's, so both options were considered "normal" then.

I agree, in the 80's, a double-ring ceremony might have been more convincing. But, come to think of it, the whole "wedding" was done on the cheap (plastic champagne glasses, etc.), so the single ring fits right in.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

This episode features one the best bits of "Higgins History" ever:

In Alexandria (probably 1938), Higgins was forced to feign matrimony (reason undisclosed) with not one, but three daughters of a Bedouin Prince. "As a young Lance-Corporal who had experienced but one affaire de coeur in my 22 years, the prospect of an impending wedding eve with three hot-blooded Bedouin was indeed an awesome one! Fortunately, as the youngest daughter dosed the dying campfire and plunged the tent into pitch blackness, I recalled a particularly relevent chapter from Rommel's classic treatise on tank warfare"... (Magnum throws a pillow at him) :shock:

LOL!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by lutherhgillis »

This is a decent epi but Katherine Cannon plays the part of a suuuuuuper biiiiiitch! I would have slapped her very early on in the episode. :wink: :wink: :wink:

As far as the success of MPI being related to the perfect storm of characterists, I remember seeing this episode during its first run. I was extremely disappointed at the time seeing Magnum move out of the guesthouse and get married (supposedly). I could tell that something would never be right about breaking up the perfect storm...

Carmen
MPI

#16 Post by Carmen »

Not sure if this one is a flub, but I found it very strange:
When Marsha comes into Magnums office after he was hitten by that boxes she leaves the door open and they start to talk about whether he blew the cover or not. His secretary can be seen sitting outside, they would never talk about something secretly without closing the door, would they?
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#17 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Luther. I thought Katherine Cannon did a great job with the role.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#18 Post by Doc Ibold »

I will say, that while this episode made me shudder... it does have one of the great Magnum PI moments...

Rick as the son of the Sheikh of Yahoo. TC finally got out of his muscle role and was delighted by it! Rick's irritation ca easily be seen!

That is easily, by far, one of the cheesiest costumes I've ever seen on Magnum.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by Rutledal »

I just finished watching this episode once again, I rather enjoy it, good twist, but the play up is o' so dull. Magnum just explains it :(

I also noticed something of possible intrest. This is the episode with the shortest, only three letters. The longest is Who is Don Luis Higgins, and Why is He Doing These Terrible Things to Me?, with fifty-seven letters. However the interesting bit is that they both end with questionmarks. (Only three episodes end with question mark)

EDIT: Never mind I just remembered that there is an episode called "L.A.".
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Wednesday’s review. Some very amusing moments, but at the same time, this isn’t one of my favourites.

[rating=8.0]

Magnum marries a henpecking woman and takes up a position in a large family-owned business. Can it be for real? Actually, it's an undercover job to smoke out a thief, but that’s nothing compared to putting up with his nagging wife. Funny but not a fave...
-----

This review contains moderate spoilers.

Whenever I think of ‘I Do?’, I tend to think of it as coming from coming later in the show’s run; mostly due to it being more character-led than plot-driven, and it just seems to have a feel of a later episode to me.

Either way, this is a tough one to sum up. It certainly has a selection of very amusing moments, but I find the plot itself to not be the best, and it just doesn’t appeal to me as much as some stories.

I wasn’t sure about the whole Magnum-married plot at the start, but found myself enjoying it more as it went along. Tom Selleck and his “bride”, Katherine Cannon, certainly share some funny moments, but Cannon’s character is a little TOO grating, and some of it becomes more out-and-out irritating than amusing. And would you believe it – they initially hate each other, but end up kissing! Now who would have seen that one coming (!)

One thing I do like in this episode is Rick and T.C., who by this point in the series were often being used as a double act. Rick dressed up as an Arab, with T.C. as his South African (?) sidekick… who knows what scam they were planning before it all falls through?

There is some great music at the climax of the episode, during the Limousine chase. It’s just so upbeat and thrilling… we generally don’t get such exciting music in TV shows nowadays.

All-in-all, I’m very mixed about this episode, for the reasons I’ve already cited. It has some truly amusing moments, and for the most part is well played, but I just can’t warm to it as much as some of the other episodes of the season. I give it a fair 8 out of 10.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Magnum smokes his sixth cigar of the series (yes, I’m still keeping count – I need to get out more!)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

In this episode, TM metions when he writes his book, "How to become an ace private investigator". I always thought it was a "world class" private investigator.
Katherine Cannon was actually pretty good in this episode.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I always thought it was world class private investigator as well. I neve remember him saying ace investigator. I'll have to revisit this one.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Danno »

Watched this one tonight. Sometimes I wish they'd let Higgins talk- it would be great to have a g & t with Higgins and hear his war stories...

Not sure if I've ever seen a limo chase a limo before?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by robspace54 »

I gave this episode an 8 and most appear to agree. Not that great of a story - but opening with the 'wedding' is a shocker. Note that you never hear Magnum say 'I do' as someone from the groom's side blows their nose... Was it Higgins? :D

Rob

p.s Kathy McCullen who was "Mary Jane Lodato" played for 7 episodes in Baa Baa Black Sheep.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#25 Post by All About the Stache »

A pretty clever episode, never saw that twist coming. His "wife" really bugged me though.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*