2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

TSM308
Captain

Re: Legacy From a Friend (3.19)

#71 Post by TSM308 »

This is the only episode where TC wears a Penn State visor. I had forgotten all about this and just caught it as I was watching this one today. As someone who grew up in PA and bleeds blue and white, I give it a 10 for this alone! :lol:
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

ROBIN 23
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#72 Post by ROBIN 23 »

I became determined with locating the peaceful park shown in the foreground of the long panning shot of Magnum and Tracy driving at 15:50 and again at 20:27. Even though Rubber Chicken’s awesome and amazing location guide didn’t have the location documented for this scene…the guide eventually led me there. After viewing the location of the "Barbara attacked by Hardy Boys" scene from Beauty Knows no Pain, I realized that was the same park.

The park was named Operation Redwing Medal of Honor Park on 11/11/2008, and was previously named Fort Ruger Park. It is also locally known as Triangle Park.

Here are magnum and Tracy at 15:50 driving down Kahala Ave, making a left on Paikau St, and then a quick right to drive up Kaimanahila St. Triangle Park remains in the foreground the entire time:

Here is the pleasant park again at 20:27:

Next time I am on Oahu...I am SO THERE. :magnum:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by eagle »

Just watched this one tonight, and I agree with those here who said that Annie Potts did a great job in that role. For me she really made the episode.

Turkey
Admiral

#74 Post by Turkey »

Great episode - hadn't seen it in ages so it felt 'new' which kind of doubled the fun :D
Make it two weeks.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Same. :D I didn't completely get how Marcus was killed either, as I thought Rose was blackmailing Mrs. Chase merely for her affair, and that Marcus had probably started ripping off Rose for the money. At least "Fragments" provided us with a formal explanation when Rick asked what exactly Archie's plan was.

And Magnum getting a beatdown from 80s Bambi and Thumper! :lol: It's the outfits that get me the most! I know Magnum punched one of them later because they were still trying to beat him up, but it would so not fly today. :P Different time, the 80s.

And am I the only one who thought Magnum was asking for trouble using the Nest's actual electronics for the sting on Rose? Especially given all the cameras and other equipment of Robin's that Magnum directly or indirectly ended up breaking? :lol:

karolis
Admiral

#76 Post by karolis »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: * When Magnum is being beaten up by the two women, there are a number of shots where it is clearly Tom Selleck’s stunt double.
Evidence:

J.J. Walters wrote:Great info Henry! Thanks! I wondered who those others guys were.

That tall guy looks like Selleck's double Tom Lupo (see above):

TSM308 wrote:This is the only episode where TC wears a Penn State visor. I had forgotten all about this and just caught it as I was watching this one today. As someone who grew up in PA and bleeds blue and white, I give it a 10 for this alone! :lol:
Evidence:

Magnum is seen driving the Ferrari with the top on, a rare sight!
- from Episode Guide

Evidence:

Coops present: check:

Chronosport Sea Quartz 30:

Season 3 Top up to this episode:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. Flashback
5. Off Sound Mind
6. The Eighth Part of the Village
7. Forty Years From Sand Island
8. Legacy From a Friend
9. The Arrow That is Not Aimed
10. Past Tense
11. Almost Home
12. Heal Thyself
13. Birdman of Budapest
14. Basket Case
15. Ki'i's Don't Lie
16. Mixed Doubles
17. Mr. White Death
18. I Do?
19. Foiled Again

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by KingKC »

I caught this episode just by happenstance last night and still was not impressed. Annie Potts really saved this episode if you ask me. But it was still better than either of the first two new Magnum episodes. I clearly noticed how TM's narration really added to the show in comparison to the poor narration from J. Hernandez.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by ENSHealy »

3.19 LEGACY FROM A FRIEND
Famous guest stars: 2 Annie Potts, Sinjin Smith
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless: 2
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Aloha Architectural Society
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations: 1
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 2
I know what you’re thinking: 3
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 16
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/381731628

Potential magnumania usernames: It’s Not Oliver

Can’t say I’m particularly enamored of this episode. I’m in the group with those who found Annie Potts more annoying than charming, and Sinjin Smith literally drives off after only 4 minutes and is never seen again, so it’s hard to care about his character. Ms. Chase can’t quite pull off "haughty”, and she needs some instruction in how to fake smoking a cigarette. And for some reason, I just can’t buy the two henchwomen, perhaps it’s their pants, which although period authentic, are just ridiculous. Add in a byzantine plot that is almost impenetrable, and it makes for a less than stellar episode.

Even in the biggest Magnum dogs, however, there are always just enough character interactions between the main players to get you through the rough spots, and this episode is no different.

Not sure this rises to flub level, but when looking at the parking stub, Tracy says it is from Rose’s Discount Warehouse, but the sign on the building says Rose’s Cut Rate Warehouse. More to the point, Rose is handing out parking stubs at his warehouse?

Very odd unexplained occurrence: why is Thomas playing with a crossbow?

Is this a stage light in the guest house?
J.J. Walters wrote:
Carol the Dabbler wrote:OK, guys, I think I have this plot straight in my head, but please check me out here.

Mrs. Chase just wanted a fling with Marcus, but he got serious about her and figured she'd love him if he was rich, so he started hawking hot goods for Rose. She took him out in her boat to break up with him in private, but he flew off the handle. One way or another (she claims she was defending herself), he ended up drowning. Rose figured this out and blackmailed her. Magnum knew too much, so Rose was going to bump him off, but Tracy the metermaid saved him and cracked the whole case wide open, possibly winning herself a spot on the police force.

Right? Or what?
That's pretty much about it, Carol. A typical case for Magnum, don't you think.
As another magnummaniac pointed out, the blackmailing started over the affair, and Rose is now just continuing it with murder in the mix.

And last but not least, what is the legacy from the friend? Seems like the original title of A Darker Side of Paradise was a better fit, as I am having a hard time picking out what exactly the legacy was supposed to be?
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

This isn’t much of an episode but I just wanted to be another vote on the plus side of the Annie Potts ledger. She was fun and hilarious.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#80 Post by Gearhard »

///T.C. wears a Penn State baseball cap for the first and only time.

Belisario is a Penn State alumnus and has an academic school at the university named after him.  I suspect the Penn State cap is a nod to Belisaro and the Nittany Lions National Championship in college football in January of 1983 (when this episode might have been filmed).

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#81 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Gearhard wrote:///T.C. wears a Penn State baseball cap for the first and only time.

Belisario is a Penn State alumnus and has an academic school at the university named after him.  I suspect the Penn State cap is a nod to Belisaro and the Nittany Lions National Championship in college football in January of 1983 (when this episode might have been filmed).
That makes sense. I was wondering why he was wearing it when his character played for Grambling State.

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#82 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Ok guys, it’s probably been discussed before...but I will bring it up anyway. I’ve watched all the episodes many times but this one episode I still do not get. How did his friend die? Can someone please elaborate? I just can’t get a grasp on it. Help.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MandyIsA10 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 am Ok guys, it’s probably been discussed before...but I will bring it up anyway. I’ve watched all the episodes many times but this one episode I still do not get. How did his friend die? Can someone please elaborate? I just can’t get a grasp on it. Help.
Yeah unfortunately I never got it either. Something about them being on the boat together (I think the woman and TM's friend?) and having a fight but then we find out she didn't kill him. It was Rosie, the black dude. So was he on the boat with them? Or did this drowning/killing happen after the boat ride? It's never explained. But then didn't the woman say he fell overboard during their argument? Confusing. :?

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#84 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Thank goodness I am not the only one who does not know what the heck happened. I watched this epitaph many times and still have no idea what happened. I thought even suicide maybe? He couldn’t have the woman so he just ended it???? Lol thanks for replying!

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#85 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Oops. Episode not epitaph. My bad.