6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by MaximRecoil »

snp389 wrote:Julia Nickson.......what an absolute babe!!!!
I'll always remember her as Co-Bao, John Rambo's ally in 'Rambo: First Blood 2'
Exactly. I was surprised to see any confusion on the matter in this thread, considering that anyone who has seen Rambo: First Blood Part II should have immediately recognized the street merchant ...

... as the girl from Rambo. It is not just her face that is immediately recognizable, but her distinctive voice as well. She was even in similar "trashy" makeup during the scene where she pretended to be a "whore from village".

However, I watched Rambo: First Blood Part II probably 50 times when I was a kid, so maybe someone who only saw it once or twice a long time ago wouldn't immediately recognize her, and of course, someone who never saw it ... but how many people around in the '80s never saw that movie? It was huge.

robburne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#62 Post by robburne »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:OK, guys, I think I have this plot straight in my head, but please check me out here.

Mrs. Chase just wanted a fling with Marcus, but he got serious about her and figured she'd love him if he was rich, so he started hawking hot goods for Rose. She took him out in her boat to break up with him in private, but he flew off the handle. One way or another (she claims she was defending herself), he ended up drowning. Rose figured this out and blackmailed her. Magnum knew too much, so Rose was going to bump him off, but Tracy the metermaid saved him and cracked the whole case wide open, possibly winning herself a spot on the police force.

Right? Or what?
The ending also had me scratching my head, it made no sense whatsoever.I watched it several times but could not hear any mention of a drowning and how Rose fit into this I had no idea.

Thanks for the summary. It's shame that the conclusion to many episodes are rushed and make no sense although I suppose that it keeps the forum busy.

Rob.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: Legacy From a Friend (3.19)

#63 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

Well, I've found the location of the "Rose's Cut Rate Warehouse".
It is on Iwilei Rd, in front of the intersection with Kuwili St.
30 years ago the WH was used for the Rose's shady dealings, but now things have changed and it hosts the 'Salvation Army Family Stores' :shock: (main entrance at the opposite side of the building, on Sumner St).

ImageImage
ImageImage

the escape! :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by charybdis1966 »

Something I noticed watching this the other day was how lax security at Mrs Chase's place was - all TM had to do was to get into a dinghy and walk up the lawn.

Surely rich people like that would have something to keep prying eyes and invaders away from their property ?

gilb
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Karate Chicks

#65 Post by gilb »

... the karate chicks were pretty silly...
I found that an amusing angle to the story. Likely an homage to the duo in the Bond flick Diamonds are Forever :D

Estate resident
Captain

#66 Post by Estate resident »

Can anyone tell me the location of the home mag breaks into?

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#67 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought this was an excellent episode. Annie Potts did a great job in this. It may have been slightly confusing in parts, but not as bad as some episodes. I could understand where they were trying to go with everything.

Higgins' part did kind of baffle me. I thought he was wanting Magnum to stay away from the estate while he did some kind of tour for a group of people. Then he's suddenly away with the group so Magnum could swipe all of the electronics from the estate. I also found it odd that Magnum never thought to use his police contacts to verify Tracy's story. You'd think they'd have let him know she was just a meter maid.

The story was a bit complex, but I found it to tie together at the end of it. Annie Potts really made it a special episode with the way she brought a kind of believability to the character. I loved Magnum trying to not have to physically defend himself against women only to be so angry that he punches a broad right in the face when he came across her again. It was a bit creepy to think about how so many casual acquaintances that Magnum competed in sports against wound up killed, but that's kind of classic Magnum.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#68 Post by Milton Collins »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:OK, guys, I think I have this plot straight in my head, but please check me out here.

Mrs. Chase just wanted a fling with Marcus, but he got serious about her and figured she'd love him if he was rich, so he started hawking hot goods for Rose. She took him out in her boat to break up with him in private, but he flew off the handle. One way or another (she claims she was defending herself), he ended up drowning. Rose figured this out and blackmailed her. Magnum knew too much, so Rose was going to bump him off, but Tracy the metermaid saved him and cracked the whole case wide open, possibly winning herself a spot on the police force.

Right? Or what?
I just watched this and that's the way I took it as well. I will say I rewinded the scene with Magnnum and Mrs. Chase having out the details of what happened. I have to say that I'm not a fan of this episode at all and as such gave it a 6.5. I found the plot to be somewhat forced and rather confusing too. For some reason Annie Potts annoys me in this one but I don't mind her at all in AAPI from season 7. I will say that the fight scene between TM and those karate brawler women was HIlARIOUS!! I love how he wouldn't hit a woman but after getting his butt kicked he changed his tune and belted that big blonde woman right in the face lol. Not saying hitting a woman is cool, just that he tried to be a gentleman but had to do what he had to do! Anyway, this one wasn't awful but just didn't get it done for me, rare for season 3 which is my personal fav!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I'll chime in as well that the only Sinjin I know is one St. John "Sinjin" Hawke from Bellisario's other 80s hit AIRWOLF. Sinjin was Stringfellow Hawke's (Jan-Michael Vincent) MIA brother, presumed dead in Vietnam. He was played twice by Christopher Connelly in season 1's "Echoes from the Past" and season 2's "HX-1". Later when the series ended on CBS in 1986 it was resurrected on cable in 1987 for one season with a whole new cast headlined by Barry Van Dyke (another Magnum alum) playing Sinjin, who has been found and is alive and well and becomes the new pilot of Airwolf.

As for this episode it's a middling episode. Nothing too special. I still have no clue what happened to Marcus. Did Mrs. Chase accidentally hit him and he fell off the boat and drowned? Did he get overly excited and as a result fell out of the boat and drowned (maybe hit his head against something as he fell out)? I really have no clue. She says that Rose did it but then she says that she got into an argument with Marcus on the boat. Huh?? :? Was Rose also on the boat?? Makes no sense.

As for Annie Potts I didn't really care for her one way or another. She was just there. I liked how she kept pronouncing "Maaaagnum" like she was from Chicago or something. Like "Waaacker Drive" in Chicago. :o

And yes I can't believe there was all this confusion about Julia Nickson being the street vendor. It's obvious! She wasn't that famous yet and she had yet to appear in RAMBO II so her name was in the end credits, but as soon as you saw that name you HAD to know who she was in the episode. There's no mistaking it.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#70 Post by Artie Canoe »

charybdis1966 wrote:Something I noticed watching this the other day was how lax security at Mrs Chase's place was - all TM had to do was to get into a dinghy and walk up the lawn.

Surely rich people like that would have something to keep prying eyes and invaders away from their property ?
This is exactly what I was thinking when I watched the episode this morning! It was so easy for TM to waltz into her home through the backyard...not very tight security for someone who presumably has a lot of valuables in there. :oops:

Overall I had to give the episode a 7, one of the weaker efforts of season 3 in my opinion. Magnum getting trounced by the buff beauties was the highlight, however. :lol:
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

TSM308
Captain

#71 Post by TSM308 »

This is the only episode where TC wears a Penn State visor. I had forgotten all about this and just caught it as I was watching this one today. As someone who grew up in PA and bleeds blue and white, I give it a 10 for this alone! :lol:
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

ROBIN 23
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#72 Post by ROBIN 23 »

I became determined with locating the peaceful park shown in the foreground of the long panning shot of Magnum and Tracy driving at 15:50 and again at 20:27. Even though Rubber Chicken’s awesome and amazing location guide didn’t have the location documented for this scene…the guide eventually led me there. After viewing the location of the "Barbara attacked by Hardy Boys" scene from Beauty Knows no Pain, I realized that was the same park.

The park was named Operation Redwing Medal of Honor Park on 11/11/2008, and was previously named Fort Ruger Park. It is also locally known as Triangle Park.

Here are magnum and Tracy at 15:50 driving down Kahala Ave, making a left on Paikau St, and then a quick right to drive up Kaimanahila St. Triangle Park remains in the foreground the entire time:

Here is the pleasant park again at 20:27:

Next time I am on Oahu...I am SO THERE. :magnum:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by eagle »

Just watched this one tonight, and I agree with those here who said that Annie Potts did a great job in that role. For me she really made the episode.

Turkey
Admiral

#74 Post by Turkey »

Great episode - hadn't seen it in ages so it felt 'new' which kind of doubled the fun :D
Make it two weeks.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Same. :D I didn't completely get how Marcus was killed either, as I thought Rose was blackmailing Mrs. Chase merely for her affair, and that Marcus had probably started ripping off Rose for the money. At least "Fragments" provided us with a formal explanation when Rick asked what exactly Archie's plan was.

And Magnum getting a beatdown from 80s Bambi and Thumper! :lol: It's the outfits that get me the most! I know Magnum punched one of them later because they were still trying to beat him up, but it would so not fly today. :P Different time, the 80s.

And am I the only one who thought Magnum was asking for trouble using the Nest's actual electronics for the sting on Rose? Especially given all the cameras and other equipment of Robin's that Magnum directly or indirectly ended up breaking? :lol: