6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Sam »

James, How many Ardi Maioho's can there be in Hawaii?

I called Sgt Ardi Maioho today and yes indeed,it was her.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, mystery solved!

So, how did you open the conversation? How did she react? Did she tell you anything about her (brief) time on the show?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Sam »

James,

I was totally unprepared to speak with her and figured it would take repeated attempts to reach her.She works in District 4 and the first precinct I called was the right one.Then bam,she was on the line.I opened by telling her that I saw the article from the Starbulletin about she and her daughter and that I recognized the name.I then mentioned the MM board and wondered if she was Sylvia in an MPI show.She kinda chuckled and said yes.I thanked her and that was it.

Did I mention I was unprepared?
:oops:

Once I hung up I realized that I did have some questions for her.I thought about calling her back but didn't.I regret not telling her that the video of her role was posted on the MM board.

Did I mention I was unprepared?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Batman always wins when he's prepared"

:)

Thanks again Sam. So, we now have at least two current Oahu police officers that have appeared on the show. I wonder if there are any more?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#35 Post by rubber chicken »

Great job Sam! Actual real life investigative work. :)

Maybe since you mentioned Magnum Mania she'll stop by and have a look.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Sam »

I was wondering the same thing James.I'll poke about and see if there were others.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Sam »

Thanks RC,

I mentioned MM twice so I hope she does take a look.

I was thinking last night how much I enjoy this board but I don't contribute enough.I've come up with a plan and I'd like to run it by you guys and see what you think.

My plan is to go to Oahu and photograph in detail every location identified in the Rubber Chicken Guide.
I'm retired so I could devote two or three months on the project.

If each and every active poster would contribute 500-1000 bucks it could get done.
So for my part,I'll endure the 8 hour flight,jetlag and living out of a suitcase for months on end..I just want to contribute.

Take the rest of the weekend...think about it...and let me know on Monday
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#38 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, who's going to hit him first?

SMACK!!!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Friday’s first review from me. This one was actually much more fun than I remember it.

[rating=9.0]

When Magnum’s volleyball partner is found drowned on the beach the day after he was seen driving a sports car he clearly couldn’t afford, Magnum finds himself joined by an ambitious woman to prove that it wasn’t an accident. More fun that I remembered…

-----

‘Legacy From a Friend’ (original script title: ‘A Darker Side of Paradise’) is another episode that, rewatching it to review recently, is a lot better than I remember. I had it down as a rather average, almost filler affair, and in some ways it is, but it is also very funny, and has a great guest character in Tracy Spencer (!).

The episode is the first of several in the series to be directed by Stuart Margolin, known to US TV fans as the shifty Evelyn “Angel” Martin in ‘The Rockford Files’ (1974-1980). Margolin would go on to play an on-screen MPI character in ‘By It’s Cover…’ in a few episodes time.

Magnum’s volleyball friend, Marcus, is another of those “old friends” that are never mentioned before or since, that were so prevalent in shows of the era. But I suppose it can be overlooked, else there wouldn’t really be a case for Magnum to investigate!

Annie Potts is great fun as Tracy, who claims to be a number of things over the course of the story. Although she is more known Stateside, I personally only really know Potts from playing secretary Janine Melnitz in ‘Ghostbusters’ (1984) and it sequel. Tracy is one of those ‘Magnum, p.i.’ women that we encounter a lot over the course of the series – well meaning, but very annoying, and who drives Magnum nuts! Annie Potts nails the character perfectly.
Tracy returns in the seventh season episode ‘A.A.P.I.’.

I find the plot itself to be a rather so-so one, but what brings this story to life – despite the seriousness of Marcus’ seeming murder – is its comedy. Annie Potts and Tom Selleck work really well together, and Potts makes for some really funny moments. The pace never lets up, and the episode is one amusing sequence after another.

Also to look out for is the character Rose, played by Bob Minor. Minor was stunt co-ordinator for much of the series, and Roger E. Mosley’s stunt double. He can be seen as a different character in the sixth season episode ‘Round and Around’.

All-in-all, I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this episode upon rewatching it. It is very amusing, and really made by Annie Potts’ guest turn as Tracy. Much better than I remembered.

-----

Other notes, bloopers, and misc.:

* Magnum comments near the beginning of the episode that he woke up one day and realised that he was 32 and had never had a chance to be 22. In the Pilot, he says that he woke up one day and realised he was 33 and had never been 23.

* After Marcus has left the club in his new car, when Magnum drives off in the Ferrari, you can see the reflection of a bank of lights used to light the scene in the passenger door.

* When Magnum is being beaten up by the two women, there are a number of shots where it is clearly Tom Selleck’s stunt double.

* Magnum smokes his eighth cigar of the series.

* The closing credits are unusual that they only contain shots of Magnum and Marcus playing volleyball. Normally, a selection of shots from the episode would be used.

* Oh, and just in case there is anyone out there who hasn’t picked up on it, Tracy Spencer is obviously a play on Spencer Tracy. :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#40 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* Magnum comments near the beginning of the episode that he woke up one day and realised that he was 32 and had never had a chance to be 22. In the Pilot, he says that he woke up one day and realised he was 33 and had never been 23.

* After Marcus has left the club in his new car, when Magnum drives off in the Ferrari, you can see the reflection of a bank of lights used to light the scene in the passenger door.
Nice!

Henry Lewis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#41 Post by Henry Lewis »

James J. Walters wrote:
I also just found out recently that the actor playing Marcus, Magnum's volleyball partner who gets killed, is none other than Sinjin Smith! Sinjin will later become one of the biggest names in (beach) volleyball! In the episode, he is credited as St. John Smith, which threw me off.
Sinjin already was the best beach volleyball player in the world when this episode aired. I was playing at the time and I remember the beach being abuzz because Sinjin was on Magnum!

More trivia for you... On the other side of the net is Sinjin's brother Andrew Smith, nowhere near as good a player as Sinjin but he did win a few opens in his day. He was also a Ralph Lauren model. The fourth player I believe is Jon Anderson who was Hawaii's best player at the time. They were playing on the Outrigger Canoe Club court and it looks like they were really playing a game and not just staging something for the camera - I'm sure Selleck insisted, after all, it's not everyday you get to partner with Sinjin Smith! Probably also why they showed stills from the game during the credits.
TM: Hey Henry, how about a little one-on-one?
HL: One-on-one with who?
TM: With me.
HL: Oh come on, you gotta be kidding.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great info Henry! Thanks! I wondered who those others guys were.
Henry Lewis wrote:Sinjin already was the best beach volleyball player in the world when this episode aired. I was playing at the time and I remember the beach being abuzz because Sinjin was on Magnum!
Thanks for the clarification. For some reason, I thought Sinjin was still a couple years away from being #1 (in 1982). I see now that I was wrong. The guy had a heck of a career, that's for sure!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Sam »

Possible credit flub.

I posted the first picture two years ago.The pic on the left side is Sgt Ardi Maioho taken from the Starbulletin,on the right is Sylvia the street merchant from the episode...Ardi is credited as Sylvia.

This second photo is Julia Nickson-Soul ,she also appears in this episode,credited as Carla,Rose's henchwoman.

In the third photo,I've combined the photos.......It's my belief that Julia played the role of Sylvia.If the credits are correct the photos match vertically.....What say you?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam, I was incorrect in our PM. The in-episode credits are correct - Julia Nickson is "Carla", (Sgt.) Ardi Maioho is "Sylvia". The IMDb is incorrect in that Carla is not "Rose's Henchwoman", Sylvia is! Conversely, Sylvia is not the street merchant, Carla is! Not sure why the IMDb added "Rose's Henchwoman" to the end of "Carla", as the in-episode credits only name "Carla".

What's confusing is that neither Carla or Sylvia are addressed by their name in the episode, and Julia Nickson looks like she could be either character! What gave it away for me was the size and build of Rose's brunette henchwoman (hehe, love that word "henchwoman"). The actress who plays the brunette henchwoman is shorter and stockier than Ms. Julia Nickson. The body shape of the actress who plays the street merchant is much more in line with Julia Nickson.

Julia Nickson in "Three Minus Two":

I've corrected the credits on the various pages (Video, Classic Scenes, etc.)

Thanks for pointing this out Sam! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Sam »

Okay,thanks James,now it makes sense..

So the correct match is left to right.

You were right Doc Ibold.