6.0 (Pretty Bad)
14%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%

Total votes: 109

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#16 Post by IslandHopper »

James, I knew you weren't trying to give me a hard time. :)

As I have said previously, I also agree that some type of model must have been used, as it would not have been practical or logical to risk the life of a pilot, or an expensive airplane.

I believe that this stunt involving the plane crash was one of the better stunts of the show when considering realism and continuity. The continuity regarding the plane that was seen flying and the plane that crashed was particularly good. The paint scheme on the plane/model was identical to the plane that we see flying before it reaches Oahu. As we all know, continuity was never a strong suit of the show. As we have seen in dozens of episodes, TC's chopper often changed in mid-flight supposedly during the same flight sequence, i.e., skinny skids vs. fat skids; "V" Tail vs. "Y" Tail; tail rotor on the wrong side of the chopper; "MARINES" reversed on TC's Kiowa and Loach, etc.

Speaking of stunts that weren't as well done are the Ferrari explosion in "Did You See The Sunrise" and the car explosion in "Paradise Blues." The explosion in "DYSTS" was great in of itself, but you can clearly see that the car that was blown up was not a Ferrari. In the final scene of "PB" you see the car with the bad guy and Alex go over the cliff, and I'm sure it was set to explode on impact when it hit the bottom of the cliff. However, the problem with this sequence was that the car goes over, and as it's falling you see the car ignite and begin to detonate well before it hits the bottom. It makes me laugh every time I see it, because the car begins to explode in midair. :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Carmen
MPI

#17 Post by Carmen »

Who can blow up a real Ferrari? Not only it`s too expensive, it would be such a cruel thing to do. Even if the 308 is one of the cheaper Ferraris it would bad.
I never gave the plane a second thought, but now as you mentioned it, it looked very small in the first shot.
Have to go and try how many episodes of season 5 I can watch in one night 8)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#18 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:James, I knew you weren't trying to give me a hard time. :)

As I have said previously, I also agree that some type of model must have been used, as it would not have been practical or logical to risk the life of a pilot, or an expensive airplane.

I believe that this stunt involving the plane crash was one of the better stunts of the show when considering realism and continuity. The continuity regarding the plane that was seen flying and the plane that crashed was particularly good. The paint scheme on the plane/model was identical to the plane that we see flying before it reaches Oahu. As we all know, continuity was never a strong suit of the show. As we have seen in dozens of episodes, TC's chopper often changed in mid-flight supposedly during the same flight sequence, i.e., skinny skids vs. fat skids; "V" Tail vs. "Y" Tail; tail rotor on the wrong side of the chopper; "MARINES" reversed on TC's Kiowa and Loach, etc.

Speaking of stunts that weren't as well done are the Ferrari explosion in "Did You See The Sunrise" and the car explosion in "Paradise Blues." The explosion in "DYSTS" was great in of itself, but you can clearly see that the car that was blown up was not a Ferrari. In the final scene of "PB" you see the car with the bad guy and Alex go over the cliff, and I'm sure it was set to explode on impact when it hit the bottom of the cliff. However, the problem with this sequence was that the car goes over, and as it's falling you see the car ignite and begin to detonate well before it hits the bottom. It makes me laugh every time I see it, because the car begins to explode in midair. :lol:
I get a kick out of that one too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:As I have said previously, I also agree that some type of model must have been used, as it would not have been practical or logical to risk the life of a pilot, or an expensive airplane.
Oh! But before you said...
IslandHopper wrote:but that plane looks real to me. It does not look like a model.
I'm so confused now. I need some more coffee..... ;)

In any event, I'm glad we're all in agreement that they didn't crash a real plane! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

It still looks real to me. :roll: I still can't get the perspective right, even with the photo of the wahine in the tidal pool. Maybe that explains why I can never see the hidden image in those "magic pictures/posters." I'm like Mr. Pitt of Seinfeld when it comes to those darn things.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#21 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:It still looks real to me. :roll: I still can't get the perspective right, even with the photo of the wahine in the tidal pool. Maybe that explains why I can never see the hidden image in those "magic pictures/posters." I'm like Mr. Pitt of Seinfeld when it comes to those darn things.
Or Willem from "Mallrats"

"Its not a sailboat, its a schooner!" :lol:

A P Leyland
Captain

#22 Post by A P Leyland »

"The explosion in "DYSTS" was great in of itself, but you can clearly see that the car that was blown up was not a Ferrari."

There was an episode of Starsky & Hutch were they blew up the Torino and it quite clearly weasn't a Torino. They duplicate paint job (the NIKE stripe) was really bad as well.

This is a terrible episode. I hate it when they try to pilot another show within a established shows framework. It barely worked on STAR TREK (although they really had to stretch the plot to make it work) and there was an episode of KNIGHT RIDER that was all about some other guy! If I'm watching Magnum I want to see Magnum!. Although the Magnum/Higgins stuff is comedy gold.

Andy

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#23 Post by Doc Ibold »

A P Leyland wrote:
This is a terrible episode. I hate it when they try to pilot another show within a established shows framework. It barely worked on STAR TREK (although they really had to stretch the plot to make it work) and there was an episode of KNIGHT RIDER that was all about some other guy! If I'm watching Magnum I want to see Magnum!. Although the Magnum/Higgins stuff is comedy gold.
Ahhh

David Dalton.

:lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

Is it true that this epi was planned to be a spin off for the texan pilot and his family to be on a show?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:Is it true that this epi was planned to be a spin off for the texan pilot and his family to be on a show?
yessir!

He was supposed to be a treasure hunting pilot (which I assume would have some aspects of family). Never got picked up and Bellisario turned the concept into "Airwolf"

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by lutherhgillis »

Thanks, Doc. I knew the epi had that feel to it.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Frodoleader »

I guess I never minded this episode that much, granted it is not really a MPI episode. I would have certainly watched the show had it been sold. Heaven knows I was a big Airwolf fan when it was on!

Note that my username comes from this episode: it was TM's call sign during the Nam sequence.

Lt. Dupree
Lieutenant

#28 Post by Lt. Dupree »

James, the 'Birds' episode was my first speaking role. In the show, I played 'Pepe' -- the 'Nam' scene at the beginning of the show. I still have a light scar on my left forearm from a hot casing fired from Tom's M16.

The sequence was filmed out in Haleiwa (North Shore) at an old Naval training airport. I have seen some pictures of the area on Rick Romer's site. The site was used in numerous episodes for Nam among other stages.

Bill Lucking indeed was hoping to get a series out the special. On set, I met a special forces commander whom advised.

It took two readings for Don to accept me for the role. Virgil was actually pulling for me and he deserves the thanks for supporting me in getting my SAG card.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#29 Post by N1095A »

Frodoleader wrote:I guess I never minded this episode that much, granted it is not really a MPI episode. I would have certainly watched the show had it been sold. Heaven knows I was a big Airwolf fan when it was on!

Note that my username comes from this episode: it was TM's call sign during the Nam sequence.
Good point. I love all things aviation (especially helicopters) I like the concept of a treasure hunting pilot, and most likely would have watched a show about that had it ever come about. What I found most offensive about this was that it was forced on us through MPI. This was definately not an episode of MPI.
In a related note, as a 14 year old, I loved Airwolf, but I've watched a few episodes on hulu.com, and they just don't hold up. So so many reused shots, contrived plots, etc. But Airwolf has one shining redeeming quality, ERNEST BORGNINE. Man, who wouldn't love that guy?

Ernie then:

Ernie now:
92 years old!!!
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#30 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Well, it was smart for Bellisario to make it into Airwolf, and not this dumb idea or it would never last more than three episodes. Airwolf was successful in its own way.