5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

spacebiscuit
Ensign

Re: Faith and Begorrah (3.23)

#51 Post by spacebiscuit »

Hi all,

I have just watched this episode and I've noticed a flub. When Higgins goes to meet his brother at the hotel and they're sat at the bar drinking, Higgins' body double is holding his drink in one hand, then when the camera angle cuts to show the opposite angle, the 'real' Higgins and Paddy's body double, Higgins is holding the drink in the opposite hand.

Some have commented on the political bias shown in this episode, I thought it was handled very well, when for example Paddy and the Major are arguing and Magnum steps in and suggests that the whole issue is a pointless argument. For me that showed great impartiality whilst presenting the facts for each side. Of course this is from my British perspective, for the Irish I'm sure the arguments are more poignant and perhaps it's felt that the show shows bias.

I thought Paddy's accent was a bit dubious, in parts it was ok but I won't let this distract from Hillerman's versatility in front of the camera nor the general enjoyment of the episode.

Regards,

John.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by 308GUY »

Good observations....all.

On behalf of myself, and all the other "newbies" here....Welcome to the best MPI forum on the planet!
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#53 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome aboard!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi John and welcome.

I agree the episode showed great impartiality. I also forgive the dubious Fr. Paddy accent . John Hillerman's versatility was certainly in play. To deliver the accent and enunciate every word for the benefit of a world wide viewing audience is a challenge in itself. We did not have instant access to the subtitle option in the '80's.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

spacebiscuit
Ensign

#55 Post by spacebiscuit »

Thank you for the welcome, I should have perhaps have introduced myself first before diving straight in with a post.

I often refer to the forum after watching an episode, there's always something of interest to read about each episode.

Thanks,

John.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#56 Post by Hawaii Winds »

IslandHopper wrote:One of my favorite episodes features a "shocking" flub. When Magnum and TC go to the Gym to meet Clarence (Magnum's boxer-client) to give him a report on his wife's infidelity, TC is standing next to Magnum without a hat on. There is no hat in sight, not in his hand, etc. The camera turns and focuses on the boxer and when they turn back to Magnum and TC, TC has an Atlanta Falcons hat on.

Great observation....gonna watch it now

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#57 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I liked this one fairly well. The only really big gripes I had were Magnum being so intimidated by Clearance (I didn't like when he backed down to guys considering he was a trained Navy SEAL) and the fact that nothing came from the ending. Does anyone know WHY there was no further episode where they had to deal with this? I'm sure it wouldn't just be dropped for no real reason. Hillerman's performance was great. I'd consider this a comedy episode and I generally liked the comedy ones. One flub I didn't see reported was that it, apparently, was established that TC didn't drink yet Thomas says that Rick gave them steaks and bottle of bourdeaux. It was implied that Magnum and TC shared the bottle.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#58 Post by marlboro »

IMDB says "Legs" had a bit of musical career in the early 90s:

Love Is The Answer (1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqJR_kdi1pA

I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't do a cover of Tom Petty's "Free Falling."

EZiller
Captain

#59 Post by EZiller »

Have to give this a 10. Hillerman is a riot as Father Paddy. Looks like he had fun doing it. Very entertaining story, although it is mostly a character study of the Higgins family, Jonathan and Paddy. The subplot of Magnum investigating a boxers philandering wife was good, what a shocking ending! BTW, Teri Ann Linn as Legs was Top Ten MPI babe.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#60 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote:A classic, legendary episode with a shocking denouement. This episode has it all - action, humor, drama, mystery, great characters, and a great story. Higgins' half-brother (played by John Hillerman), the hardscrabble Irish priest Paddy McGuinness, steals the show. The scene where Higgins visits the run-down "Low Surf Motel" (with Bellisario's only cameo on the show) is priceless. A wonderful finale for Season Three.
Hi JJ,
I could not agree with you more. As for the ending, a case can be made it is one of the most hard hitting moments of television in the past 40 years. There is very few times in all my years of tv watching where I was so surprised and affected by a scene. I recall just staring at the tv afterwards, sort of disoriented, like my doggie is when someone has moved his food dish.
Off the top of my head I rank it just below the last scene of Black Adder Goes Fourth which is must viewing for anyone who appreciates the art involved in television production.
Then of course there's Radar's announcing Colonel Blakes death on MASH to a silent OR except for the clattering of some instruments that someone drops.
I am not claiming this outstanding Magnum ranks with the all time great tv episodes, rather that this one moment belongs as an all time great scene and is, as JJ said, shocking, the viewer left muttering 'Holy Crap'.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:A classic, legendary episode with a shocking denouement. This episode has it all - action, humor, drama, mystery, great characters, and a great story. Higgins' half-brother (played by John Hillerman), the hardscrabble Irish priest Paddy McGuinness, steals the show. The scene where Higgins visits the run-down "Low Surf Motel" (with Bellisario's only cameo on the show) is priceless. A wonderful finale for Season Three.
Hi JJ,
I could not agree with you more. As for the ending, a case can be made it is one of the most hard hitting moments of television in the past 40 years. There is very few times in all my years of tv watching where I was so surprised and affected by a scene. I recall just staring at the tv afterwards, sort of disoriented, like my doggie is when someone has moved his food dish.
Off the top of my head I rank it just below the last scene of Black Adder Goes Fourth which is must viewing for anyone who appreciates the art involved in television production.
Then of course there's Radar's announcing Colonel Blakes death on MASH to a silent OR except for the clattering of some instruments that someone drops.
I am not claiming this Magnum episode ranks with all time great tv moments, rather that this one moment is, as JJ said, shocking, the viewer left muttering 'Holy Crap'.

Indeed. It's one of those shockers that comes completely unexpected. It's similar to Diana Muldaur's empty elevator shaft death in L.A. Law, only this one came first. Magnum, always groundbreaking and ahead of its time. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#62 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

robspace54 wrote:Someone asked about the pineapple box? You could call ahead (or buy them right at the airport) prepackaged boxes of pineapples to carry on the plane. We did it ourselves in 1985 - in fact they were stacked at the foot of the plane stairs waiting with our name on it.
Are you saying that you're allowed to take fruit from Hawaii with you aboard a plane and take it with you to the mainland? I didn't think this was allowed. When I visited in 2008 I tried to take a papaya with me in my suitcase and they made me take it out.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Re:

#63 Post by Doc Ibold »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
robspace54 wrote:Someone asked about the pineapple box? You could call ahead (or buy them right at the airport) prepackaged boxes of pineapples to carry on the plane. We did it ourselves in 1985 - in fact they were stacked at the foot of the plane stairs waiting with our name on it.
Are you saying that you're allowed to take fruit from Hawaii with you aboard a plane and take it with you to the mainland? I didn't think this was allowed. When I visited in 2008 I tried to take a papaya with me in my suitcase and they made me take it out.
I just returned from the Aloha state and as long as you get something that's signed off on (Read: airport past the baggage check), you're OK to take it back on the plane.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by KingKC »

It was a better season finale than Season Two - Three Minus Two but it wasn't as good or memorable as Beauty Knows No Pain ending Season One.

KingKC

TSM308
Captain

Re:

#65 Post by TSM308 »

Ski wrote:No one has mentioned TC's Philadelphia Eagles hat, which he is wearing in the final scene at the lighthouse. Does it ever make another appearance?
Pretty sure he was also wearing an Eagles polo shirt in that scene. Bellisario's PA influence I'm sure. TC also wore a Penn State visor a few episodes prior in season 3. Not sure Eagles gear makes another appearance; but it was one episode only for the PSU visor.
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."