6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#41 Post by Pahonu »

I agree that most shows, including new ones, don't have the kind of endings that Miami Vice used so effectively. Many episodes completely lacked a denoument of any sort. This is what is most memorable, I think, rather than just being downbeat. Lots of shows end with things not being neatly and positively wrapped up, but Vice often ended right at the climax, then nothing. Bam! It was over. Even this Magnum episode wrapped up the story line at the airport and the subplot became the shocking ending. I have to admit, as powerful as these type of endings can be, there were a few Vice episodes where it was too abrupt. Human nature being what it is, we seem to like like closure.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Actually the original "Hawaii Five-0" did not have that many depressing or "downbeat" endings. :shock: Most episodes ended with McGarrett and Danno getting the bad guys and an ironic one-liner from McGarrett before the credits rolled. :)
You need to watch the show again, because your memory has betrayed you. :wink:

Downbeat endings just off the top of my (pointy) head:

Strangers in Our Own Land
No Blue Skies
Three Dead Cows at Makapuu

Trouble in Mind
Beautiful Screamer
To Kill or Be Killed

And I Want Some Candy and a Gun That Shoots
Skinhead
Cloth of Gold
R&R&R (these from season four)

Engaged to Be Buried

Draw Me a Killer
One Big Happy Family
Death With Father
Nightmare in Blue (these from season six)

I'll Kill 'Em Again

The Bells Toll at Noon

And that's just up to season nine.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Little Garwood wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:Actually the original "Hawaii Five-0" did not have that many depressing or "downbeat" endings. :shock: Most episodes ended with McGarrett and Danno getting the bad guys and an ironic one-liner from McGarrett before the credits rolled. :)
You need to watch the show again, because your memory has betrayed you. :wink:

Downbeat endings just off the top of my (pointy) head:

Strangers in Our Own Land
No Blue Skies
Three Dead Cows at Makapuu

Trouble in Mind
Beautiful Screamer
To Kill or Be Killed

And I Want Some Candy and a Gun That Shoots
Skinhead
Cloth of Gold
R&R&R (these from season four)

Engaged to Be Buried

Draw Me a Killer
One Big Happy Family
Death With Father
Nightmare in Blue (these from season six)

I'll Kill 'Em Again

The Bells Toll at Noon

And that's just up to season nine.
My memory has not betrayed me at all! I have a very good memory. :wink:

I am an avid, huge fan of this show and have seen every single episode--as I purchased a complete series homemade set several years ago, back when originally CBS claimed they did not plan to release "5-0" to DVD because there were so many seasons. However, as we all know, thank God they did eventually start releasing them! Subsequently I also have the first 10 seasons on official DVD's...and am anxiously awaiting the last two seasons, 11 and 12.

I guess it depends on what you consider a downbeat or depressing ending?? Out of all 281 episodes, the ones you listed are not really that many. Also, a few of them I don't really consider that depressing or sad. :shock: Some were possibly more violent than others...or delt with more bizarre or serious situations than other episodes.

Now...you have to remember that "Hawaii Five-0" was one of the first cop shows that tried to be more realistic and serious...so a lot of the plotlines and episodes were more serious than other cop shows of the time. Some ended with violence, true. But not that many were that sad or downbeat. Usually, the ones killed or arrested were the bad guys...and if they were arrested McGarrett always stated his famous line of "Book 'em, Danno!", or if they were killed in a shootout or something, then usually McGarrett had a "wise" or ironic line of somekind before the credits rolled.

There were some along the way, that were more downbeat than others...but overall (12 seasons: 1968-1980)/281 episodes) "Hawaii Five-0" was not a "dark", depressing, or sad crime show...much like the present day crime shows like the "CSI's", "Criminal Minds", the "Law & Orders", etc... All of those are almost always sad, depressing, and downbeat! :? :(

"Hawaii Five-0" was an awesome, action-packed, cop drama set against the beautiful tropical landscape of Hawaii, had cool cars, and one of the most superb theme songs in TV show history!! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Doc Fred
Admiral

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

John Hillerman showed his great acting ability in this episode... truly wonderful.

Three cheers for Father Paddy, a true man of the cloth.

This is one of my three favorite Magnums.... wonderful from start to finish.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

the season was sputtering to a close, but this was a nice finish with a WTF final scene....sort of a nice synopsis to Magnum's adventures and a harsh reminder that isn't always funa and games. Loved that dummy sailing over the cliff.

on a personal note, on my visit to Hawaii......I took a picture of that lighthouse and had it blown up for my home afterwards. It was nice to see it.

not a great memory of this episode...but it is fun.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Sisophous »

The ending was the most surreal in this entire series. There was not a hint of what was to come.

The only fault I have is the body was actually a doll that was thrown and it looked lifeless. They could have done a better job of making it appear more realistic but when you are viewing it in slow motion on DVD it shows. Watching it when it aired on CBS, no one could tell.

snp389
Captain

#47 Post by snp389 »

Cool episode I reckon!
Great performance by John Hillerman. I always remember the first time I saw him in anything but MPI was in Clint Eastwood's classic "High Plains Drifter" as the leather boot fitter.

As an Australian with a direct and proud lineage to the Irish, this episode has some great and poignant moments for me. I have travelled to Ireland many times, and I can understand that some may find Hillerman's Irish accent not too great, but it is a TV show afterall.

The ending still is a shock, no matter how many times I watch. Interesting that it is never discussed nor brought up again in Season 4 or in any further seasons.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Faith and Begorrah (3.23)

#48 Post by marlboro »

"Higgins, you're a bigot."

"Of course I am. Isn't everybody?"

John Hillerman should have had a much more successful career. He gives another great (dual) performance in this episode. How great would a spinoff series featuring the various members of the Higgins clan living in the same house Patty Duke style be?

I thought Tom Selleck showed off some impressive comedic skills in the scene where he is reporting the bad news to the boxer.

About that ending...I just don't know what to make of it. Do yo think the writers were trying for dark humor or just shock? The expression on my face was pretty much a mirror of Larry Manetti's after watching that scene. Extremely shocking and completely unforgettable.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Marlboro and welcome.

MPI was not the first time John Hillerman took on a dual role.

I saw Paper Moon again recently. He performed an excellant dual role in this film ..................
a bootlegger and the bootlegger's brother who was also the town Sherrif.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#50 Post by marlboro »

I haven't seen that movie in years. I think it's time for a rewatch. Thanks!

spacebiscuit
Ensign

#51 Post by spacebiscuit »

Hi all,

I have just watched this episode and I've noticed a flub. When Higgins goes to meet his brother at the hotel and they're sat at the bar drinking, Higgins' body double is holding his drink in one hand, then when the camera angle cuts to show the opposite angle, the 'real' Higgins and Paddy's body double, Higgins is holding the drink in the opposite hand.

Some have commented on the political bias shown in this episode, I thought it was handled very well, when for example Paddy and the Major are arguing and Magnum steps in and suggests that the whole issue is a pointless argument. For me that showed great impartiality whilst presenting the facts for each side. Of course this is from my British perspective, for the Irish I'm sure the arguments are more poignant and perhaps it's felt that the show shows bias.

I thought Paddy's accent was a bit dubious, in parts it was ok but I won't let this distract from Hillerman's versatility in front of the camera nor the general enjoyment of the episode.

Regards,

John.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by 308GUY »

Good observations....all.

On behalf of myself, and all the other "newbies" here....Welcome to the best MPI forum on the planet!
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#53 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome aboard!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi John and welcome.

I agree the episode showed great impartiality. I also forgive the dubious Fr. Paddy accent . John Hillerman's versatility was certainly in play. To deliver the accent and enunciate every word for the benefit of a world wide viewing audience is a challenge in itself. We did not have instant access to the subtitle option in the '80's.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

spacebiscuit
Ensign

#55 Post by spacebiscuit »

Thank you for the welcome, I should have perhaps have introduced myself first before diving straight in with a post.

I often refer to the forum after watching an episode, there's always something of interest to read about each episode.

Thanks,

John.