5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Faith and Begorrah (3.23)

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:A classic, legendary episode with a shocking denouement. This episode has it all - action, humor, drama, mystery, great characters, and a great story. Higgins' half-brother (played by John Hillerman), the hardscrabble Irish priest Paddy McGuinness, steals the show. The scene where Higgins visits the run-down "Low Surf Motel" (with Bellisario's only cameo on the show) is priceless. A wonderful finale for Season Three.
Hi JJ,
I could not agree with you more. As for the ending, a case can be made it is one of the most hard hitting moments of television in the past 40 years. There is very few times in all my years of tv watching where I was so surprised and affected by a scene. I recall just staring at the tv afterwards, sort of disoriented, like my doggie is when someone has moved his food dish.
Off the top of my head I rank it just below the last scene of Black Adder Goes Fourth which is must viewing for anyone who appreciates the art involved in television production.
Then of course there's Radar's announcing Colonel Blakes death on MASH to a silent OR except for the clattering of some instruments that someone drops.
I am not claiming this Magnum episode ranks with all time great tv moments, rather that this one moment is, as JJ said, shocking, the viewer left muttering 'Holy Crap'.

Indeed. It's one of those shockers that comes completely unexpected. It's similar to Diana Muldaur's empty elevator shaft death in L.A. Law, only this one came first. Magnum, always groundbreaking and ahead of its time. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#62 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

robspace54 wrote:Someone asked about the pineapple box? You could call ahead (or buy them right at the airport) prepackaged boxes of pineapples to carry on the plane. We did it ourselves in 1985 - in fact they were stacked at the foot of the plane stairs waiting with our name on it.
Are you saying that you're allowed to take fruit from Hawaii with you aboard a plane and take it with you to the mainland? I didn't think this was allowed. When I visited in 2008 I tried to take a papaya with me in my suitcase and they made me take it out.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Re:

#63 Post by Doc Ibold »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
robspace54 wrote:Someone asked about the pineapple box? You could call ahead (or buy them right at the airport) prepackaged boxes of pineapples to carry on the plane. We did it ourselves in 1985 - in fact they were stacked at the foot of the plane stairs waiting with our name on it.
Are you saying that you're allowed to take fruit from Hawaii with you aboard a plane and take it with you to the mainland? I didn't think this was allowed. When I visited in 2008 I tried to take a papaya with me in my suitcase and they made me take it out.
I just returned from the Aloha state and as long as you get something that's signed off on (Read: airport past the baggage check), you're OK to take it back on the plane.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by KingKC »

It was a better season finale than Season Two - Three Minus Two but it wasn't as good or memorable as Beauty Knows No Pain ending Season One.

KingKC

TSM308
Captain

Re:

#65 Post by TSM308 »

Ski wrote:No one has mentioned TC's Philadelphia Eagles hat, which he is wearing in the final scene at the lighthouse. Does it ever make another appearance?
Pretty sure he was also wearing an Eagles polo shirt in that scene. Bellisario's PA influence I'm sure. TC also wore a Penn State visor a few episodes prior in season 3. Not sure Eagles gear makes another appearance; but it was one episode only for the PSU visor.
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

TSM308
Captain

#66 Post by TSM308 »

Legs going off the lighthouse was priceless. Can't believe Rick didn't have the camera on speed burst there! Probably could have made that a 2-parter if they wanted to!
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

This shot gets me every single time. :lol:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#68 Post by marlboro »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
This shot gets me every single time. :lol:

Yeah, TS displayed some excellent comic timing in that scene. Great scene in a great episode.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Little Garwood »

In the middle of my "Big Hig" marathon and I'm once again enjoying Faith and Begorrah.

Everytime I watch the opening scene, I think: "Ireland....so much like Hawaii." :lol:

Anyway, I have become quite smitten with the lovely Rebecca Kimble, who plays the tour guide. She only has this one acting credit. However, she has the wonderful knack of looking adorable when she's annoyed by Father Paddy. Good performance from Ms. Kimble.

Also, get an earful of that Mike Post-Pete Carpenter string-laden, touch-of funk-lounge cue in the scene when Thomas meets Father Paddy. It sounds like music you'd hear in Rick's "Snow Palace" in season one or from any episode of any Aaron Spelling series circa 1978-81...I love it.

Oh, and speaking of "Ireland", I'm spending this Thanksgiving at the local Irish pub. :lol:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

jeffran
Captain

#70 Post by jeffran »

A strong end to season 3 (rated 8.0), although I didn't enjoy it as much as season 2's "The Elmo Ziller Story". Not much to add beyond what others have said of this episode, although I'll note the editing for the Higgins/Father Paddy scenes was seamless.

karolis
Admiral

#71 Post by karolis »

Tombstone:

"Beloved
Seamus MiGrath
1900-1981"

Higgins family tree:

Donald P. Bellisario reading Playpen, Coops present: check

Paddy, Coops present: check

Great view of Rabbit Island from Estate's window:

Clarence's training place (just before T.M. and T.C. arrive here) apparently was a Bank:

Another T.C.'s' hat:

Season 3 Top:

1. Black on White
2-3. Did You See the Sunrise?
4. The Big Blow[/b]
5. Flashback
6. Off Sound Mind
7. The Eighth Part of the Village
8. Forty Years From Sand Island
9. Legacy From a Friend
10. ... By Its Cover
11. The Arrow That is Not Aimed
12. Past Tense
13. Almost Home
14. Heal Thyself
15. Birdman of Budapest
16. Basket Case
17. Ki'i's Don't Lie
18. Mixed Doubles
19. Faith and Begorrah
20. Mr. White Death
21. I Do?
22. Foiled Again
23. Two Birds of a Feather

Not my favorite episode. I didn't liked Elmo Ziller Story too. It's just too over the top for me. I still enjoyed it though.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Little Garwood wrote:Everytime I watch the opening scene, I think: "Ireland....so much like Hawaii." :lol:
Yes, I always think that too. :D
Little Garwood wrote:Anyway, I have become quite smitten with the lovely Rebecca Kimble, who plays the tour guide. She only has this one acting credit. However, she has the wonderful knack of looking adorable when she's annoyed by Father Paddy. Good performance from Ms. Kimble.
That girl is one of the reasons I dislike this episode. Her fake accent is horrible. The way she keeps saying "chaich" (church) gets on my nerves.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Little Garwood »

Being an indifferent motel desk clerk--as traditionally depicted on TV--has been my "dream job" for as long as I can remember. As portrayed by Bellisario, it's even more desirable since he gets to read dirty magazines, eat fried chicken, and wear an Aloha shirt.

The other TV-inspired "dream", also depicted on MPI, is having a wall safe.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote:Image

Being an indifferent motel desk clerk--as traditionally depicted on TV--has been my "dream job" for as long as I can remember. As portrayed by Bellisario, it's even more desirable since he gets to read dirty magazines, eat fried chicken, and wear an Aloha shirt.
The other TV-inspired "dream", also depicted on MPI, is having a wall safe.
LOL
Another advantage to being a sleazy desk clerk is it's far more honorable than going into politics. And your wall safe would be 'safer' too.
Interesting insight about the desk clerks being a Hollywood staple. In many film noir flicks and detective shows the role was portrayed by Magnum's own Elisha Cook.
Magnum vet Gerald McRaney also played a desk clerk in a couple of Rockfords. For a little homely fellow, Cook was cast in a amazing amount of all time classic films, including Shane and Maltese Falcon. Bellisario obviously loves the old flicks, it probably gave him a big kick to hire Cook.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
"If you can't figure out who the mark is at the poker table, it's you"
Dirty Dave, legendary Jersey Bookie

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Little Garwood »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:LOL
Another advantage to being a sleazy desk clerk is it's far more honorable than going into politics. And your wall safe would be 'safer' too.
Interesting insight about the desk clerks being a Hollywood staple. In many film noir flicks and detective shows the role was portrayed by Magnum's own Elisha Cook.
Magnum vet Gerald McRaney also played a desk clerk in a couple of Rockfords. For a little homely fellow, Cook was cast in a amazing amount of all time classic films, including Shane and Maltese Falcon. Bellisario obviously loves the old flicks, it probably gave him a big kick to hire Cook.
I think Mackie's Rockford appearance as a desk clerk nearly qualifies as a "blink and you'll miss him" moment. He shows up on a few Universal productions. I wonder if he was a Universal contract player.

From the '40s to the '80s, Elisha Cook, Jr. can appear anywhere! He shows up in two different episodes--and in two different roles--of the 1959-60 detective series that nobody but me likes, Johnny Staccato.

~Tom Selleck