No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Faith and Begorrah (3.23)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Faith and Begorrah (3.23). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 4/28/1983
Magnum needs some luck o' the Irish when he's hired to determine if a man's wife is cheating, and during the investigation meets Higgins's half-brother, a priest from Northern Ireland who believes that an English relic was stolen during a search for I.R.A. weapons.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A classic, legendary episode with a shocking denouement. This episode has it all - action, humor, drama, mystery, great characters, and a great story. Higgins' half-brother (played by John Hillerman), the hardscrabble Irish priest Paddy McGuinness, steals the show. The scene where Higgins visits the run-down "Low Surf Motel" (with Bellisario's only cameo on the show) is priceless. A wonderful finale for Season Three.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, need some eagle eyes here. I was just watching this one on Sleuth tonight, and in the scene where Clarence the boxer tells TC and TM that he wants proof of his wife's infidelity so he can divorce her first, WHAT IS THE LOGO on TC's hat? To me it looks very much like the black bird of the Atlanta Falcons logo.

Can anyone else see it any better to identify it?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

One of my favorite episodes features a "shocking" flub. When Magnum and TC go to the Gym to meet Clarence (Magnum's boxer-client) to give him a report on his wife's infidelity, TC is standing next to Magnum without a hat on. There is no hat in sight, not in his hand, etc. The camera turns and focuses on the boxer and when they turn back to Magnum and TC, TC has an Atlanta Falcons hat on.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good one IH!

I actually remember noticing this when I "revisited" this episode last year, but I didn't write it down, then forgot about it.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

As Sam mentioned in this other thread, the "Low Surf Hotel" where the meeting of Higgins and Father Paddy McGuiness takes place is the Hotel Renew. (gm link) The lobby shots and rooftop scene (and Higgins driving up to the hotel) all appear to be at the same hotel.

Here's some links to illustrate the main hotels seen in the background:
Waikiki Banyan tower 2
Pacific Beach Hotel (on right)
Queen Kapiolani Hotel

Three in one:
Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort Kealohilani tower on left
Pacific Beach Hotel in middle
Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort Paoakalani tower on right

(notice the shot set in the lower right picture in this first collage)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

And the valley in which Father Paddy McGuiness' Northern Ireland church, "The Crozier of St Patrick" is situated is the same one which reminds TC "of the one north of Quan Loi"

The valley is known as Kaaawa (or Kaʻaʻawa, or Kualoa because of the owner) and is owned by Kualoa Ranch. (wiki link)

Here's a nice picture.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

Thanks RC,

In 2003 my wife and I were having a cocktail at Tiki's,Waikiki Beach Hotel.It was a bartender there who told us of the location.
Nice job of laying it out,very easy to see from your pics.

I found another picture of the lobby.

and one of the front desk.It seems the more things change,the more they stay the same. :lol:
Last edited by Sam on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

lol Sam. He's got more than I gave him credit for, finding a way to stick around even after the remodel hehe.

How many vacations have you taken to Oahu Sam?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

Hi RC,

Hollywood is fickle so I guess Don tries to keep his hand in the hotel business.You just never know when you'll need a job.

First trip was in 88 but haven't been back since 06.Maybe 14 or 15 in between.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Little Garwood »

Another of my Top 10 episodes. I voted it a 9.5...Father Paddy is a wonderful characterization and the scenes with him drinking and putting Irish Whisky in Higgins' decanter was priceless. The episode also has some inadvertent laughs, especially the "Hawaii as Ireland" scene, with the actors clearly sweating like mad in that winter gear! Plus the tour guide's dodgy Irish brogue. One of the best showcases for JH and I loved his account of how Paddy was conceived. Love that rich Higgins-family history!

The ending was a stunner.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Little Garwood wrote: Plus the tour guide's dodgy Irish brogue.
Actually an English accent that. Being Irish I can't watch this episode without cringing. For a show that dealt with American / Vietnamese issues with such a deft touch, this cliched, painted-with-a-trowel version of Irish - English relationships is very disappointing.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

This episode uses some stock aerial footage of the N58243 chopper (with flotation skids), the original chopper used on the show. N58243 crashed into the ocean (destroyed) during filming for Season One's "Skin Deep" and killed a camera technician (Robert Van Der Kar)!

And, can anyone ID this establishing shot?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Have you checked the credits for that episode? Sometimes it is mentioned there "Thanks to ____________" or something along that line to indicate where that property is.

Just an idea that you have probably already taken care of.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Ski
Ensign

#15 Post by Ski »

No one has mentioned TC's Philadelphia Eagles hat, which he is wearing in the final scene at the lighthouse. Does it ever make another appearance?